Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Robert Hicks goes 'upstairs'

Starting A Programme Collection HoofeHearted's Avatar
    Phil Vievers...Balls...Joan Collins...Try...Orgasmic... RH the living legend.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoofeHearted View Post
    Another job for the boys, shit referee now having a say in how other referees referee our great game. Nonsense, get rid of the dead wood like this not promote it !

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Another job for the boys, shit referee now having a say in how other referees referee our great game. Nonsense, get rid of the dead wood like this not promote it !
    He’s been a solicitor working for the RFL for some time. I’m not sure whether this is a promotion or whether he’s gone full time or whether it’s PR language just confirming he won’t be refereeing but will continue the day job.

He’s not my favourite referee but we need the officials and the job is off putting. You know that if you’re appointed you’re going to be insulted by everyone and working up through the junior ranks can’t be easy. Instead of dwelling on Hicks, I’d like to know who his replacement is.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

The guy is 40.
    Maybe this is just the natural evolution of a job like this if you want to stay within the sport?

Starting A Programme Collection

The problem is, who would be a referee?, I call them just as much as anyone, one week Kendall and Moore are the best around, a couple of border line decisions later, against us and then they're terrible, it's a fast game, decisions made without the benefit of t.v. replays, all part and parcel of a referees life, countless calls of "gerra em onside" to the opposition yet no one accepts that we are also occassionally offside because of our rushing defensive technique. It's all about emotion and the fans desperation to win, myself included, players drop the ball, commit stupid fouls, make wrong decisions in play, sometimes we should accept that referees also make mistakes, without them we'd have no game, If you think today's referees are poor, look back at Sgt Major Clay and co., refereeing matches whilst wearing a blazer, at least most of our referees can keep up with the game and do their best. There's no way I'd cope with ten thousand fans calling me all the names under the sun

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    The problem is, who would be a referee?, I call them just as much as anyone, one week Kendall and Moore are the best around, a couple of border line decisions later, against us and then they're terrible, it's a fast game, decisions made without the benefit of t.v. replays, all part and parcel of a referees life, countless calls of "gerra em onside" to the opposition yet no one accepts that we are also occassionally offside because of our rushing defensive technique. It's all about emotion and the fans desperation to win, myself included, players drop the ball, commit stupid fouls, make wrong decisions in play, sometimes we should accept that referees also make mistakes, without them we'd have no game, If you think today's referees are poor, look back at Sgt Major Clay and co., refereeing matches whilst wearing a blazer, at least most of our referees can keep up with the game and do their best. There's no way I'd cope with ten thousand fans calling me all the names under the sun
    It’s a difficult situation. The refs aren’t payed enough for it to be a particularly desirable job and the current lot aren’t good enough to expect that the wages be raised. Add in the dogs abuse they get it’s a wonder any do it at all.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Warrington will be gutted............................................ .I'll never forgive him for not going to the big screen in 2019 CC final. Morgan Knowles scored we were flying.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Warrington will be gutted............................................ .I'll never forgive him for not going to the big screen in 2019 CC final. Morgan Knowles scored we were flying.
    Aye he’ll be a big miss to wires squad, no doubt they will have (Ahem) tea and biscuits ready for his replacement.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

There is a long history of promoting dead wood referees, we are probably in a bad situation now though not enough referees to rotate and keep the pressures off them.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I don't think anyone with any sense would argue it's a difficult job. However, I think in the case of Mr Hicks, it's his onfield decsions (EG not going to the big screen when we scored THAT try) and his poor judgement off the pitch. Going for tea and biccies at the home of one team in a final and then doing the aforementioned to the other is not a good look by any standards is it?

Starting A Programme Collection

Dont forget the so called death threats from a Warrington fan. Made big news…

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Couldn't stand the guy, I thought he was a real prima donna. However, they do have a really difficult job with the pace of the game and the way some players cheat, and I don't know how much help they get from the RFL.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
    Dont forget the so called death threats from a Warrington fan. Made big news…

Yeah, and after that he made sure no Warrington fan would be upset with him ever again....

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Me neither, the most obviously questionable disallowed try without reference to the VR at a time when even clear cut tries are sent to VR. I actually hate him for that one decision especially after his tea and biccies with Warrington earlier in the week it is a disgrace and a sad endictment of the RFL that he wasn't sacked immediately it wasn't an accident it was nothing less than deliberate.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    It’s a difficult situation. The refs aren’t payed enough for it to be a particularly desirable job and the current lot aren’t good enough to expect that the wages be raised. Add in the dogs abuse they get it’s a wonder any do it at all.
    I know what SL refs get paid. And it is a lot more than what many saints fans get. And that includes me.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by palmorr View Post
    I know what SL refs get paid. And it is a lot more than what many saints fans get. And that includes me.
    How much I thought it was ~£25k-£30k which is not a lot for a career lasting at most 20years.