Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurrell Confirmed

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    When he first went to Leeds he was a real handful, last year he just wasn't there. Initially when I first heard the rumours my thoughts were no. I still think it will be difficult to get into the 13, but in the cold light of day he is not costing much, is an additional player for cover and if he does regain form will probably be the best substitute centre in the comp. With Percy's injury record Hurrell is one we need.
    Also with Makinson being a "marked man" with the disciplinary he can cover on the wing by way of a "crash style" player going in at the corners and returning the ball after the oppositions kick.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    It will be interesting then to see how Bentley goes over there, he certainly wasn’t the finished article when he left us.
    Bentley left a lot to be desired in attack. We will find out whether that was down to lack of ability or coaching instruction. Personally I think he was always over hyped and because he looks similar, has the initials JB and came from Bradford he was constantly billed as the next Bateman (1st spell at Wigan levels) and he’s never lived up to it. There is certainly a lot more responsibility on his shoulders going into a struggling pack as a senior player, will be interesting to see how he handles himself.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Bentley left a lot to be desired in attack. We will find out whether that was down to lack of ability or coaching instruction. Personally I think he was always over hyped and because he looks similar, has the initials JB and came from Bradford he was constantly billed as the next Bateman (1st spell at Wigan levels) and he’s never lived up to it. There is certainly a lot more responsibility on his shoulders going into a struggling pack as a senior player, will be interesting to see how he handles himself.
    I think he will also get penalised more next season because he gets into that many niggles during a game. His attitude was questioned on here before because he was susceptible to giving away penalties at crucial times.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I thought he was one of our best players when he was on the field this season. He definitely stepped up his game even further and was bullying teams and setting the tone for the pack. I think he improves Leeds' powderpuff pack immeasurably. He's far, far better than Bateman, he's on another level to him. It puzzles me that our fans can't see the impact Bentley was having. Perhaps not as huge a loss as Coote, but one we would be better having in our pack than a rival.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I thought he was one of our best players when he was on the field this season. He definitely stepped up his game even further and was bullying teams and setting the tone for the pack. I think he improves Leeds' powderpuff pack immeasurably. He's far, far better than Bateman, he's on another level to him. It puzzles me that our fans can't see the impact Bentley was having. Perhaps not as huge a loss as Coote, but one we would be better having in our pack than a rival.
    I thought he was gradually becoming our worse player, an irritant to the opposition but for us a liability in messing about in the tackle. He probably would have finished our worse player for yellow cards and giving away restarts.
    Can’t complain about his effort but his discipline caused too much extra work to his team.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I thought he was gradually becoming our worse player, an irritant to the opposition but for us a liability in messing about in the tackle. He probably would have finished our worse player for yellow cards and giving away restarts.
    Can’t complain about his effort but his discipline caused too much extra work to his team.

Got A Season Ticket

Too right

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

Can't help but feel that, from a 'career development' point of view (if you can use such a term in relation to a player who is already 30!) Hurrell is moving in the right direction and Bentley the wrong. (Which may, in itself, say something)

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Are you getting Bentley confused for Knowles? You can’t bully teams from the sideline and Bentley spent too much time there in 2021 due to both discipline and injury.

Leeds problem with Bentley is where they play him. They have a right second row in Martin whose a much better line runner than Bentley. I have seen Leeds fans putting him on the left, loose and on the right next year. He’s poor anywhere other than on the right and that’s before you get into the conversation about aggression backfiring on you when things aren’t going your way. He’s our most penalised player in a side which is steam rollering teams, that aggression spilling over when it’s not going his own way becomes a liability.

Was there a game this year we felt would have been changed with Bentley on the pitch?

Learning All The Songs

With Bentley. I just dreaded him losing us a big game for a needles penalty.
    I think we have a brilliant young forward in Batchelor.. who clearly has a great attitude. I didnt think Bentley should have got back in the team the way Batchelor was settling in.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    With Bentley. I just dreaded him losing us a big game for a needles penalty.
    I think we have a brilliant young forward in Batchelor.. who clearly has a great attitude. I didnt think Bentley should have got back in the team the way Batchelor was settling in.
    Totally agree with Bentley becoming a liability in close fought games but Batchelor is 3 years older than Bentley & has took his time to come through.

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Totally agree with Bentley becoming a liability in close fought games but Batchelor is 3 years older than Bentley & has took his time to come through.
    Partly, though, because (I think) when he came Peyroux and Bentley were already here and he had to wait his chance.

Learning All The Songs

Oh no way. Didnt realise he was 3 years older.
    Well i still think he has become a player worthy of this Saints team

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

His attitude became stupid and reckless to the team. You could never fault his effort, but it wasn't channeled correctly. We had one SR in Bentley going backwards, and one in Batchelor getting better. Along with the recruitment for next year, I don't think he will be missed. However, an off season might give him time to get his head around the way he goes about it on the field.

Learning All The Songs

Im not saying this because Bentley has left.
    I said before we knew he was leaving. He doesnt seem to fit into this Saints team. His character mainly.

I dont go in for "every team needs a grub"
    I think you need a real tough nut that can instill a little fear, but even that is becoming obsolete the way the game is going.
    Not in a bad way.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    His attitude became stupid and reckless to the team. You could never fault his effort, but it wasn't channeled correctly. We had one SR in Bentley going backwards, and one in Batchelor getting better. Along with the recruitment for next year, I don't think he will be missed. However, an off season might give him time to get his head around the way he goes about it on the field.
    Spot on, well said.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Not worried about Bachelor's age as he has low mileage on the clock and is getting better with every game.The shirt is his to lose imo.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

I dont go in for "every team needs a grub"
    I think you need a real tough nut that can instill a little fear.
    We have the best in the business at that in Knowles.
    Pound for pound he must be the hardest hitter in the league, and seems as hard as nails too.

My dad used to say that you could tell how tough a player was judging by how little they actually ended up in a scrap. Opposition players know who not to mess with. Cunningham was like that, as was Scully, and Knowles is in the same mould.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

I wish we had footage of the tangles these guys used to get into. I dont mean the obvious ones of Scully

I remember KC getting in a few.
    One was a warrington player in his last match before retiring to become a boxer, started unleashing on Cunningham.
    Cunningham grabbed him and got one uppercut in and the guy was down on his knees.

Knowles just looks solid.
    He also doesnt seem too stupid to get wound up.. Hes more likely just gonna get you back legally and brake your ribs.
    Even if you havnt wound him up, he might do that anyway

Future captain. Get him tied up for 10 years

I wish we had footage of the tangles these guys used to get into. I dont mean the obvious ones of Scully

I remember KC getting in a few.
    One was a warrington player in his last match before retiring to become a boxer, started unleashing on Cunningham.
    Cunningham grabbed him and got one uppercut in and the guy was down on his knees.

Knowles just looks solid.
    He also doesnt seem too stupid to get wound up.. Hes more likely just gonna get you back legally and brake your ribs.
    Even if you havnt wound him up, he might do that anyway

Future captain. Get him tied up for 10 years
    The funniest thing was when Cunningham had a knee injury and Rat Boy came 3rd man in crashing into the injured knee, Cunningham didn't flinch knew what Rat Boy was trying to do and just gave him a death stare to say do that again and you get flattened.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

The funniest thing was when Cunningham had a knee injury and Rat Boy came 3rd man in crashing into the injured knee, Cunningham didn't flinch knew what Rat Boy was trying to do and just gave him a death stare to say do that again and you get flattened.
    I remember that well

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Pound for pound he must be the hardest hitter in the league, and seems as hard as nails too.

My dad used to say that you could tell how tough a player was judging by how little they actually ended up in a scrap. Opposition players know who not to mess with. Cunningham was like that, as was Scully, and Knowles is in the same mould.

Your Dad was a wise man friend.

In The South Stand

Repeat post, apologies!

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Your Dad was a wise man friend.
    He still is thank God!!

Learning All The Songs

He still is thank God!!

That did make me chuckle to myself.