Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurrell Confirmed

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Mmm. But I remember you saying a similar thing when Leeds signed Eastmond and look how that turned out. I obviously do hope you’re right.
    I don't think you can compare the two...Eastmond hadn't played RL for several years had he? Hurrell has been playing consistently for Leeds and clearly comfortable in this country. Eastmond was worth a punt for Leeds and they moved on when it didn't work. He was worth a try I think. The playing pool is very small as we all know.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I wasn't for signing him initially but its a no lose scenario in my opinion. He's unlikely to be a first choice player so anything he adds is a benefit to the club. He comes across as a good guy in a similar way that Thompson did and we don't have that type of player in our squad so it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Buddy; 23rd October 2021 at 03:15.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I don't think you can compare the two...Eastmond hadn't played RL for several years had he? Hurrell has been playing consistently for Leeds and clearly comfortable in this country. Eastmond was worth a punt for Leeds and they moved on when it didn't work. He was worth a try I think. The playing pool is very small as we all know.
    People forget Eastmond was out of league for 10 years over which time he completely changed everything about himself as a player and only averaged 13 games a season due to injuries. He was doomed to fail on his return to league and it was a desperation play by Leeds.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Hurrel is costing very little and Woolf thinks he can get something out of him. He is here initially for 1 year, and if we had not signed him we were not looking at anyone else. He has come in as an addition rather than an alternative to anyone else. Not much to lose from this scenario, but of he gets fit it just strengthens our squad.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 23rd October 2021 at 09:27. Reason: typo

Learning All The Songs

If we can get him fit before the playoffs then he could be our secret weapon for the 4-peat.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

If you look at our squad for next season, we are absolutely stacked.

Welsby, Makinson, Hopoate, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Dodd, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Sironen, Mata'utia, Knowles.
    Subs: Paasi, LMS, Batchelor, Lussick.

Then you have Bell, Amor, Hurrell, Simm, Norman, Davies, Wingfield, Royle.

He's got to work hard to get anywhere near that 17, there's no guarantees for him whatsoever. If he gets himself fit, he could be a real asset for us but if he doesn't, he is well down that pecking order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    If you look at our squad for next season, we are absolutely stacked.

Welsby, Makinson, Hopoate, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Dodd, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Sironen, Mata'utia, Knowles.
    Subs: Paasi, LMS, Batchelor, Lussick.

Then you have Bell, Amor, Hurrell, Simm, Norman, Davies, Wingfield, Royle.

He's got to work hard to get anywhere near that 17, there's no guarantees for him whatsoever. If he gets himself fit, he could be a real asset for us but if he doesn't, he is well down that pecking order.
    It’s a great looking squad. I think Hurrell could be a very good addition, given injuries are likely

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    You simps would claim it as a good signing if we brought Johnny Vegas in to replace Big Al.

Hurrell is a master at eating and messing about on TikTok. He's a terrible player and he is appalling condition for a professional. You don't have impact centres in modern RL and you don't carry a player for 80 minutes as cover when he's blowing after running onto the field. The clips we used to announce him show him making a cover tackle. One he's in position to make because he's so far off the pace.

I'll support him and hope he gets into gear in the gym and smashes next season. I'd love to be wrong on this and have you all quoting this back to me, but I doubt it.
    You evidently don’t know what support is.
    All I’ve seen you comment on is trying to bring him down and rip him to pieces. Again talking about eating, your last one you wanted a ban on him eating out. ‘Appalling condition’ for a professional as Woolf has eluded to, family tragedy, his Mum died during covid and he was tremendously close to her. He’s on the other side of the world in lockdown. This further to injuries. He has a full pre season ahead of him, yet you evidently want him to fail so you can say ‘told you so’ but covering yourself incase he doesn’t by saying ‘id love to be wrong’. ‘Terrible player’, wow.

What’s wrong with tiktok? It’s done in the right way, he hasn’t a bad bone in his body and fans all over love him, younger fans will love him here. It’ll be great for Saints to have a character like that. It isn’t like other players such as Hardaker/Bateman having slogging contests on Twitter.

As others have stated, we don’t need him, we don’t have a spot for him in the team and it’s up to him to put the work in and get into the team. He’s admitted this. Maybe it’s time to stop trying to tear him down and support him? If he doesn’t make it what’s the issue, the club and ourselves know we’ve got more than sufficient cover. If he does make it what another weapon we have, certainly not a terrible player.

Error

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    You evidently don’t know what support is.
    All I’ve seen you comment on is trying to bring him down and rip him to pieces. Again talking about eating, your last one you wanted a ban on him eating out. ‘Appalling condition’ for a professional as Woolf has eluded to, family tragedy, his Mum died during covid and he was tremendously close to her. He’s on the other side of the world in lockdown. This further to injuries. He has a full pre season ahead of him, yet you evidently want him to fail so you can say ‘told you so’ but covering yourself incase he doesn’t by saying ‘id love to be wrong’. ‘Terrible player’, wow.

What’s wrong with tiktok? It’s done in the right way, he hasn’t a bad bone in his body and fans all over love him, younger fans will love him here. It’ll be great for Saints to have a character like that. It isn’t like other players such as Hardaker/Bateman having slogging contests on Twitter.

As others have stated, we don’t need him, we don’t have a spot for him in the team and it’s up to him to put the work in and get into the team. He’s admitted this. Maybe it’s time to stop trying to tear him down and support him? If he doesn’t make it what’s the issue, the club and ourselves know we’ve got more than sufficient cover. If he does make it what another weapon we have, certainly not a terrible player.
    Very well said, my philosophy is always Support the Saint Shirt no matter who is wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    You evidently donÂ’t know what support is.

WhatÂ’s wrong with tiktok? ItÂ’s done in the right way, he hasnÂ’t a bad bone in his body and fans all over love him, younger fans will love him here. ItÂ’ll be great for Saints to have a character like that. It isnÂ’t like other players such as Hardaker/Bateman having slogging contests on Twitter.

As others have stated, we donÂ’t need him, we donÂ’t have a spot for him in the team and itÂ’s up to him to put the work in and get into the team. HeÂ’s admitted this. Maybe itÂ’s time to stop trying to tear him down and support him? If he doesnÂ’t make it whatÂ’s the issue, the club and ourselves know weÂ’ve got more than sufficient cover. If he does make it what another weapon we have, certainly not a terrible player.
    There's a flip side to that.

It's ok to have doubts , concerns and indeed not to warm to a signing.

I don't like the tone of the not a proper supporter stuff.
    I would argue Blind cheerleading is equally unhealthy.

Like all things in life its a question of balance ,so constant
    or over the line negativity is equally unhealthy.

Blind faith just stifles debate.
    Holders of all points of view have a responsibility to ensure that
    debate remains respected and ongoing.

Otherwise its just a beauty parade of who is the most loyal and devoted.

Billinge, on the front line with the enemy.

Have seen a tweet from his partner that indirectly suggests a poor environment at Leeds and that he didn't get the support he needed. Sounds like he's had a really tough time mentally. She's delighted he's now at Saints under Woolf.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by stooby doo View Post
    Have seen a tweet from his partner that indirectly suggests a poor environment at Leeds and that he didn't get the support he needed. Sounds like he's had a really tough time mentally. She's delighted he's now at Saints under Woolf.
    At Leeds they have a not very good coach in Agar who clearly didn’t know how to use Hurrell or wasn’t bothered trying. At Saints we have a very good and astute coach who will know exactly what is needed to get Hurrell fit and motivated to succeed. There is no downside to his signing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

When Holbrook went to a few American Football clubs it was something of a fact finding mission to see how players on and off the pitch are supported and how they connect with the fanbase. Over the last 4 years Saints have created that support and togetherness which is absent in other Superleague clubs. Players coming here most probably take all this stuff on board so with Hurrell he will see the positivity of that approach and maybe Leeds didn't manage welfare of players too well.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

I'm pretty much with stevo and the poster who suggested we need someone with power in the backs. Saints seem to have built a culture over the past few years where we all work hard together, everyone pulls their weight. A lot of our success has been built on fitness and work ethic. If he doesn't buy into that he'll be a last resort, wolf ain't the type of coach to let that slide.

I'm excited to see him, especially if he's on a squad player money seems like good business. He seems like a good bloke to have around for morale, similar to peyroux.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVV4TjyK..._web_copy_link

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

Sinfield walked away complaining that the rot had set in at Leeds and it would be a big job to pull it round (too big for him, evidently). FWIW I don't think Agar is a bad coach (though nowhere near the top bracket) but I suspect it's too big a job for him too. Sometimes clubs get lucky and a leadership group like Peacock, Sinfield, Burrow, Maguire, JJB just emerges and the club has a 'golden age' on the back of it. But to create a culture that can sustain that requires a clear vision and continuous hard work from everyone at every level (Board, Coach, Players, everyone). I think that's why most other 'top clubs' come and go, and the fact Saints have (with only the occasional minor lapse) managed to do it (and reaped the consistent success it deserves) is perhaps the club's greatest achievement over the past 25 years. As fans, I think we are very lucky to support such a club.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Far be it from me to cast aspersions on Eamon but he has “thrown money away” in the past - almost every signing in the Cunningham era for example - even more recently with Paulo. He has made mistakes but more than made up for it since of course.
    I think the new stadium was still governing signings during that period to cheap and not so cheerful. We have dodged a couple of bullets one was Hanley who wanted to replace our best players with journeymen and Cunningham was like a miser with his pound store signings.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Learning All The Songs

Wow. So unnecessary some of the comments on this

Great character and i think will thrive in the culture of saints. Hopefully can develop into big impact player from the bench. I dont see why not.

Why a supporter wouldnt fully get a player that has been signed by clearly a very very good coach (which you all wanted to get rid of remember) who knows what hes doing.

Some of you on here need to get real
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I wasn't for signing him initially but its a no lose scenario in my opinion. He's unlikely to be a first choice player so anything he adds is a benefit to the club. He comes across as a good guy in a similar way that Thompson did and we don't have that type of player in our squad so it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
    Exactly this,we get a decent player with lots of experience on not a huge amount of money,he knows he needs to prove himself. Lets not forget he had a potential season ending injury and also some personal problems. A full pre season here and he will be a different player.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    Wow. So unnecessary some of the comments on this

Great character and i think will thrive in the culture of saints. Hopefully can develop into big impact player from the bench. I dont see why not.

Why a supporter wouldnt fully get a player that has been signed by clearly a very very good coach (which you all wanted to get rid of remember) who knows what hes doing.

Some of you on here need to get real
    It’s not that we won’t get behind him it’s just supporters’ opinions at this point in time based on what we’ve seen him do at Leeds.

In The West Stand

It’s not that we won’t get behind him it’s just supporters’ opinions at this point in time based on what we’ve seen him do at Leeds.
    I think people are basing it on what he’s done in the last year at Leeds, not what he has done at Leeds over all. He got 2 dream team picks at Leeds, but has had a really poor season this year (which has been recognised by both Woolf and Hurrell) - and that’s what people seem to be considering.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I think people are basing it on what he’s done in the last year at Leeds, not what he has done at Leeds over all. He got 2 dream team picks at Leeds, but has had a really poor season this year (which has been recognised by both Woolf and Hurrell) - and that’s what people seem to be considering.
    Quite. Considering he had a poor season and missed a big chunk through injury he still managed 9m a carry, 12th in the league for offloads, and only behind Walmsley and Percival for tackle busts compared to Saints players. There's still something he can offer over the course of a season.

Could go either way but some of the reaction has been a bit OTT for what is essentially a squad filler signing, and a bonus one at that. Anyone would think we'd re-signed Jack Owens.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    When he first went to Leeds he was a real handful, last year he just wasn't there. Initially when I first heard the rumours my thoughts were no. I still think it will be difficult to get into the 13, but in the cold light of day he is not costing much, is an additional player for cover and if he does regain form will probably be the best substitute centre in the comp. With Percy's injury record Hurrell is one we need.

Learning All The Songs

It will be interesting then to see how Bentley goes over there, he certainly wasn’t the finished article when he left us.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Stating the obvious but he’s clearly come for a fresh start and has a relationship with Woolf which will have a positive impact on his effort levels, preparation and performances.

He’s going to have a tough pre season, Woolf has already tried to cover that base in the announcement, they know he is nowhere near fit for a professional RL player, but Woolf knows what a fit Hurrell is capable of. If you remember him at NZ warriors when Tomkins was at full back, Tomkins had one objective and that was give Hurrell early ball and let him do his thing, and it was incredibly successful. He isn’t a Percival type who can take the ball at the line and still find space, so we need to play to his strengths.

He’s 30, has the ability to have a big impact without being on big money or a long term contract. The ball is in his court and we will see on game 1 how seriously he has taken the challenge.

My prediction is he will become a firm fan’s favourite and we will all be reading this thread at the end of the year asking why we even doubted him. Has the potential to have the same impact as Iro who came at the end of his career.