Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurrell Confirmed

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default Hurrell Confirmed

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2021/10/2...1I37KoVrhJW5Lw

Nothing we didn’t already know. Been discussed to death but we all know what Hurrell is capable of at his best, got to trust Woolf knows what he’s doing with him.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2021/10/2...1I37KoVrhJW5Lw

Nothing we didn’t already know. Been discussed to death but we all know what Hurrell is capable of at his best, got to trust Woolf knows what he’s doing with him.
    Listening to his interview I'm heartened to hear he realised he's at the back of the queue and has a slog on to make the 17, and that he needs a big pre-season to earn the respect of the squad.

Woolf is clear in his comments that he needs to get fit also.

If the stars align he could be a damaging player for us but sureley it's a shootout between him and Hopoate if he wants to play centre as you wouldn't be shifting Percy. Otherwise it's an impact forward but he doesn't sound ike a man who really wants to play anywhere other than centre in his interview.

Learning All The Songs

Genuinely think this could end up being quite a shrewd signing. Obviously he's got his work cut out to get fit but I can't think of a better club to do that with than us. Daniels and Mill will be working him hard in pre season but he sounds like he's up for the challenge.

Percival has had his own injury troubles in recent seasons plus we're back up to 27 league games next year with a number of weeks where we'll have a couple of games to fit in with it being compressed. At a time when a number of clubs are cutting cloth and going with smaller squads, having someone like Hurrell around could be a big advantage to us towards the back end of the year.

Also Welsby as a first choice fullback week in week out is still a bit of an unknown regardless of how well he's done so far. If he needs a breather at some point this is just another option to shuffle things round in the backs too. Obviously Hurrell's defence is a weak spot but if he does get in the team he's going to get a lot more support in defence from those around him than he did at Leeds.

I don't really see a downside tbh, other than maybe Josh Simm having to work a bit harder to get an opportunity. If it doesn't work out with Hurrell then I don't think we've lost out on much. Plenty more potential upsides.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Its a good challenge for Matt Daniels to get him conditioned and in good physical shape for the start of the season, it seems as though he respects Woolf and will get treated fairly to get that opportunity to challenge for a place. Will cover us for our wingers allowing him to go centre and Hopoate on the wing and we also have Simm as well.

Our squad covers most of our bases now and we shouldn't have much dissruption when injuries arise, McManus-Rush-Woolf have done well to keep us at the top of the Superleague ladder.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its a good challenge for Matt Daniels to get him conditioned and in good physical shape for the start of the season, it seems as though he respects Woolf and will get treated fairly to get that opportunity to challenge for a place. Will cover us for our wingers allowing him to go centre and Hopoate on the wing and we also have Simm as well.

Our squad covers most of our bases now and we shouldn't have much dissruption when injuries arise, McManus-Rush-Woolf have done well to keep us at the top of the Superleague ladder.
    I concur, as an organisation, we appear to be well run from top to bottom, enjoy it whilst it lasts!

In The South Stand

You simps would claim it as a good signing if we brought Johnny Vegas in to replace Big Al.

Hurrell is a master at eating and messing about on TikTok. He's a terrible player and he is appalling condition for a professional. You don't have impact centres in modern RL and you don't carry a player for 80 minutes as cover when he's blowing after running onto the field. The clips we used to announce him show him making a cover tackle. One he's in position to make because he's so far off the pace.

I'll support him and hope he gets into gear in the gym and smashes next season. I'd love to be wrong on this and have you all quoting this back to me, but I doubt it.

Learning All The Songs

To be honest i am looking forward to seeing him in action you want to see exciting players and having a power player in the backs is something we ain't got. As mentioned there is no way he will get a place under this coach unless he is worth it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    You simps would claim it as a good signing if we brought Johnny Vegas in to replace Big Al.

Hurrell is a master at eating and messing about on TikTok. He's a terrible player and he is appalling condition for a professional. You don't have impact centres in modern RL and you don't carry a player for 80 minutes as cover when he's blowing after running onto the field. The clips we used to announce him show him making a cover tackle. One he's in position to make because he's so far off the pace.

I'll support him and hope he gets into gear in the gym and smashes next season. I'd love to be wrong on this and have you all quoting this back to me, but I doubt it.
    I think if he was a guaranteed starter, I'd be worried. It's not like we're in the KC era here and we're signing a load of duds to compete for the 1st team, we've got a team of Champions and we're adding some quality to that squad.

Hurrell is probably the most left field signing that makes little sense out of the five we've signed. But he covers a few positions and on his day he can be a quality player. He can be a liability aswell and getting him fit will be key to how he does for us.

The fact it's only one season and on a modest contract means it's a no lose for us. If he doesn't work out, he's gone at the end of 2022 but if it does work out, he could be really good for us. We've just got to hope our conditioning team, which I would say is the best in the league, can get him fit. If he doesn't he won't get near our team because we have lots of options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

What I read here is. I’m telling you he’s not good enough, he’s completely amateur on and off the field and is definitely not good enough for Saints. But he could turn out ok for us so I’m edging my bets and double bluffing using the caveat of ‘if he does do ok you can’t come back and say told you so’ because I knew you’d say told you so, so I’m getting it in first. But I doubt I will ever have to.

What I say is…
    Welcome to the greatest club in the Northern Hemisphere Konman. Rip in and most fans will back you 100% ! COYS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Im half glass empty most of the time mate but im not too worried about this signing. Next year can go one of two ways.
    Woolf can either strengthen us for the future, or do a ‘jobs for the boys’ giving easy pay cheques for the likes of Hurrell and Hopoate before he leaves to return to aus. I can’t see Woolf screwing us over. I have my concerns over Hurrells attitude and Hopoates ability but Im expecting Woolf to get the best out of them.
    Regarding Hurrell in particular lets look at it this way. We’ve won a number of big games using only 3 substitutes this year. We can give Hurrell a bench spot and bring him on the field at just the right time if even just for a short time as an impact player.
    Maybe it’s just wishful thinking but i reckon he will have a good year for us.

My concern is Sironen. This time last year i called it that Thompson was busted and sadly that turned out to be true. I respect Thompson for cutting short his stay. As long as Sironen has the same decency if he proves unfit and isn’t on mega bucks to begin with it’s not the end of world.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I think if he was a guaranteed starter, I'd be worried. It's not like we're in the KC era here and we're signing a load of duds to compete for the 1st team, we've got a team of Champions and we're adding some quality to that squad.

Hurrell is probably the most left field signing that makes little sense out of the five we've signed. But he covers a few positions and on his day he can be a quality player. He can be a liability aswell and getting him fit will be key to how he does for us.

The fact it's only one season and on a modest contract means it's a no lose for us. If he doesn't work out, he's gone at the end of 2022 but if it does work out, he could be really good for us. We've just got to hope our conditioning team, which I would say is the best in the league, can get him fit. If he doesn't he won't get near our team because we have lots of options.
    This. He’s basically a luxury signing and if it doesn’t work out, it hopefully won’t cause too many problems. If it does work out, it could be a masterstroke. I wouldn’t want to be relying on him every week in a losing team, but for us he could definitely bring something different that will make us even stronger than we are.

I’m very very sceptical about this signing. It has the air of an Inglis or Eastmond signing. Yes I know they are completely different scenarios but it still smacks of being at best a gamble. What makes our approach to his fitness any different to Leeds? Even when he was at his best at Leeds he still has defensive frailties. Was that linked to his weight issues or his fitness? Add to that his injury record and this just adds to the doubts. Like everyone else though I hope he proves me wrong and It would be stupid of anyone really to doubt the coach’s judgement.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I’m very very sceptical about this signing. It has the air of an Inglis or Eastmond signing. Yes I know they are completely different scenarios but it still smacks of being at best a gamble. What makes our approach to his fitness any different to Leeds? Even when he was at his best at Leeds he still has defensive frailties. Was that linked to his weight issues or his fitness? Add to that his injury record and this just adds to the doubts. Like everyone else though I hope he proves me wrong and It would be stupid of anyone really to doubt the coach’s judgement.
    In terms of motivation, the chance to prove himself worthy of a World Cup spot to his national coach might play a factor.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

I suppose it’s the old ‘tree falling anyone there to hear it’ sort of argument. Some perspective is needed. If he’s anything less than a revelation next year the doubters will scream they where right. If he’s anything more than a flop the optimists will be in full d*** swinging mode.

Its possible that the Leeds structure is not as good on and off the pitch and that club has allowed his standard to slip. He definitely at his best still had those defensive liabilties you mentioned but Woolf has improved every Saints player in that department so I would also expect Hurrell to improve as well.

Being a 1 year deal ensures we havn't got "long term baggage", Woolf mentioned he suffered a family tragedy last season and feels the current Saints Environment will be much better for him, Hurrell isn't expecting a first 13 start so he knows he has to up his game for that 1 year. If we get him anywhere near 2019 season form we are talking lots of tries, lots of tackle busts, lots of clean breaks and lots of offloads.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its possible that the Leeds structure is not as good on and off the pitch and that club has allowed his standard to slip. He definitely at his best still had those defensive liabilties you mentioned but Woolf has improved every Saints player in that department so I would also expect Hurrell to improve as well.

Being a 1 year deal ensures we havn't got "long term baggage", Woolf mentioned he suffered a family tragedy last season and feels the current Saints Environment will be much better for him, Hurrell isn't expecting a first 13 start so he knows he has to up his game for that 1 year. If we get him anywhere near 2019 season form we are talking lots of tries, lots of tackle busts, lots of clean breaks and lots of offloads.
    He probably let his standards slip playing under that drip, Agar. Not to mention the fact that Agar (to be fair) was being spit roasted by Hetherington and his arse peg Sinfield. Agar has never really had much control at Leeds.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Astute signing for me.
    Learned comment from The Don

Starting A Programme Collection

So your not too keen on him signing then.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Eamonn didn't get where he is today by throwing money away he invests it so maybe that's what he thinks this is when he's been through the pre season. And don't forget Hurrell plays for Tonga so KW knows him inside out.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Eamonn didn't get where he is today by throwing money away he invests it so maybe that's what he thinks this is when he's been through the pre season. And don't forget Hurrell plays for Tonga so KW knows him inside out.
    Far be it from me to cast aspersions on Eamon but he has “thrown money away” in the past - almost every signing in the Cunningham era for example - even more recently with Paulo. He has made mistakes but more than made up for it since of course.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    What I read here is. I’m telling you he’s not good enough, he’s completely amateur on and off the field and is definitely not good enough for Saints. But he could turn out ok for us so I’m edging my bets and double bluffing using the caveat of ‘if he does do ok you can’t come back and say told you so’ because I knew you’d say told you so, so I’m getting it in first. But I doubt I will ever have to.

What I say is…
    Welcome to the greatest club in the Northern Hemisphere Konman. Rip in and most fans will back you 100% ! COYS
    I'm not hedging any bets. I don't rate him as a player on the evidence of the last couple of years. But if I'm wrong about that I'll admit it. I've made declarations about players in the past and been wrong, writing Lomax off was one. I'd love him to be successful though.

Learning All The Songs

Not a signing i am impressed with or happy about, i dont think he will offer what we need, we have a good backline and he isnt going to displace our pack, so he is pushing for a bench spot at best and i think we have better options there, whatever we are paying him could have been spent elsewhere, including paying some of our current squad more.

I'm not hedging any bets. I don't rate him as a player on the evidence of the last couple of years. But if I'm wrong about that I'll admit it. I've made declarations about players in the past and been wrong, writing Lomax off was one. I'd love him to be successful though.
    What will be interesting next season, will Hurrell be a better player under Woolf and will Bentley be a worse player under Agar.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    To be honest i am looking forward to seeing him in action you want to see exciting players and having a power player in the backs is something we ain't got. As mentioned there is no way he will get a place under this coach unless he is worth it.
    This is how I see it too and there's actually an argument to say he's the most exciting signing Saints have made for 2022 because of what you say- he brings real power and with that, he can create something out of nothing. Named in the dream team for his first two years at Leeds of course, let's not forget.

I was surprised when the rumour persisted after Hopoate was confirmed but he (Hopoate) may play some games at full back, wing or even in the halves. Add to that Percival's recent history has shown he misses several games a season, so Hurrell is a very good option to call on. You'd have to say Saints' have managed the salary cap very well being able to bring in five players in to the senior squad. Hurrell is a wild card signing that could prove to be a master stroke.

The only area I'm not sure where the cover or competition is, is at half back/'7'/an organising half with a kicking game, if anything happens to Dodd.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    This is how I see it too and there's actually an argument to say he's the most exciting signing Saints have made for 2022 because of what you say- he brings real power and with that, he can create something out of nothing. Named in the dream team for his first two years at Leeds of course, let's not forget.

I was surprised when the rumour persisted after Hopoate was confirmed but he (Hopoate) may play some games at full back, wing or even in the halves. Add to that Percival's recent history has shown he misses several games a season, so Hurrell is a very good option to call on. You'd have to say Saints' have managed the salary cap very well being able to bring in five players in to the senior squad. Hurrell is a wild card signing that could prove to be a master stroke.

The only area I'm not sure where the cover or competition is, is at half back/'7'/an organising half with a kicking game, if anything happens to Dodd.
    Mmm. But I remember you saying a similar thing when Leeds signed Eastmond and look how that turned out. I obviously do hope you’re right.