JB&B Leach Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: LOANED OUT - Aaron Smith 1 year

  1. #1
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    622
    Rep Power
    14

    Default LOANED OUT - Aaron Smith 1 year

    I see Aaron Smith has been loaned out to an un named championship side for 2022.

    Im a big fan of smith despite his defence and think this is a good all round move for him and the club. Roby retiring at the end of 2022 makes smith a shoe in for the 17 each week and this was he will be getting the week in experiance he needs.

    Best of luck see you in 2023 i hope

  2. #2
    Learning All The Songs Nickles Forearm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    St Helens
    Posts
    2,211
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    I see Aaron Smith has been loaned out to an un named championship side for 2022.

    Im a big fan of smith despite his defence and think this is a good all round move for him and the club. Roby retiring at the end of 2022 makes smith a shoe in for the 17 each week and this was he will be getting the week in experiance he needs.

    Best of luck see you in 2023 i hope
    Don’t think it makes him a shoe in, reckon it gives him 12 months to prove himself consistently. The club I’m told he’s signed for is Leigh.

  3. #3
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    622
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Leigh will be a good spot for him. They just lost the main player and captain in hood who was their hooker so he will be a starter for them. And leigh will be one of the teams pushing for promotion next season. Wouldnt object to sending them Josh Simm and Jack Wingfield next season to help them out and also progress the players.

    Will be harder for simm and wingfield to get a spot next seasom with the cover we have signed

  4. #4
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,445
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    I see Aaron Smith has been loaned out to an un named championship side for 2022.

    Im a big fan of smith despite his defence and think this is a good all round move for him and the club. Roby retiring at the end of 2022 makes smith a shoe in for the 17 each week and this was he will be getting the week in experiance he needs.

    Best of luck see you in 2023 i hope
    I like Smith but hes 25 now and has never really shown anything to suggest hell be anything more than a steady eddie. With his contract up at the end of 2022, Lussick taking the 9 shirt and someone like Pembertob coming through at hooker from the academy I wouldnt be surprised if weve seen the last of Smith in a Saints shirt.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  5. #5
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,121
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    With his contract up at the end of 2022, Lussick taking the 9 shirt and someone like Pembertob coming through at hooker from the academy
    Pembertob? What a great name. Come up with a chant for that.

  6. #6
    Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Leigh
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Leigh will be a good spot for him. They just lost the main player and captain in hood who was their hooker so he will be a starter for them. And leigh will be one of the teams pushing for promotion next season. Wouldnt object to sending them Josh Simm and Jack Wingfield next season to help them out and also progress the players.

    Will be harder for simm and wingfield to get a spot next seasom with the cover we have signed
    Aye, hopefully it is us. We don't have any hookers right now any way, but he did well for us 2 years ago.

  7. #7
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,445
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Pembertob? What a great name. Come up with a chant for that.
    Should probably check my spelling before I post! Pemberton, but Pembertob would make a better chant!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  8. #8
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    622
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Isnt pemberton a 6?

    In terms of smith i think smith is great around the ruck with his quick runs and he defo knows how to find the gap. He needs to work on his quick passes of the ground as found he can be a little slow and defence can be a liability. 1 season in the championship will sort his defence out and if he is a starting 9 then he cant shy away from the tackle

  9. #9
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    8,663
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    [QUOTE=itswide2west;836566]Isnt pemberton a 6?

    In terms of smith i think smith is great around the ruck with his quick runs and he defo knows how to find the gap. He needs to work on his quick passes of the ground as found he can be a little slow and defence can be a liability. 1 season in the championship will sort his defence out and if he is a starting 9 then he cant shy away from the tackle[/QUOTE


    I think Smith passing from the ground is as fast as anyone. It was the plan from months back to loan him out for a season and see how he progresses. He will basically have a season to prove himself.

  10. #10
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,478
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    When is he out of contract?

    I don't think they see him as a starter long term. He's 25 now, and he needs to move on to prove to other clubs that he's worthy of a full time contract on decentish money.

    Good luck to him.

  11. #11
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,076
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Isnt pemberton a 6?

    In terms of smith i think smith is great around the ruck with his quick runs and he defo knows how to find the gap. He needs to work on his quick passes of the ground as found he can be a little slow and defence can be a liability. 1 season in the championship will sort his defence out and if he is a starting 9 then he cant shy away from the tackle
    I saw somewhere - on here I think - that he has moved to 9 with great success, and they see him as a 9 going forward.

  12. #12
    In The South Stand Noel Cleal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,649
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    It is the best move for him. At his age he needs to be playing every week. It gives him a great chance to develop and put himself in the shop window at Saints or elsewhere.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

  13. #13
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,060
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Its a curious move. Whilst he needs to be playing every week, it just takes one injury in the spine for him to likely be getting in, much like Welsby this year, as Lussick is our halfback cover (I assume). It seems a bit of an odd move to me as our spine isnt particularly deep.

    I wonder if there is some salary cap shuffling going on in the back end which has ultimately led to this, as an enabler for another contract (big upgrade for Grace or Knowles?) - especially with the delay to the Hurrell announcement as well for seemingly no reason...

  14. #14
    In The West Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    5,379
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Its a curious move. Whilst he needs to be playing every week, it just takes one injury in the spine for him to likely be getting in, much like Welsby this year, as Lussick is our halfback cover (I assume). It seems a bit of an odd move to me as our spine isnt particularly deep.

    I wonder if there is some salary cap shuffling going on in the back end which has ultimately led to this, as an enabler for another contract (big upgrade for Grace or Knowles?) - especially with the delay to the Hurrell announcement as well for seemingly no reason...

    You've got Hopoate that's played more halfback games that Lussick (I'm pretty sure, but correct me if I'm wrong), and perhaps Simm to move to right-centre. Or Hopoate to FB and Welsby to 6.

    Old positions have become less entrenched, though. It's more about roles within the team, and many of those don't fit with the traditional prescribed roles.
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  15. #15
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,901
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Pemberton has been moved to 9 for quite a while now wth success.

  16. #16
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Its a curious move. Whilst he needs to be playing every week, it just takes one injury in the spine for him to likely be getting in, much like Welsby this year, as Lussick is our halfback cover (I assume). It seems a bit of an odd move to me as our spine isnt particularly deep.

    I wonder if there is some salary cap shuffling going on in the back end which has ultimately led to this, as an enabler for another contract (big upgrade for Grace or Knowles?) - especially with the delay to the Hurrell announcement as well for seemingly no reason...
    There will be an option to recall Smith if he is needed I imagine.

  17. #17
    Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Newport
    Age
    50
    Posts
    596
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Its a curious move. Whilst he needs to be playing every week, it just takes one injury in the spine for him to likely be getting in, much like Welsby this year, as Lussick is our halfback cover (I assume). It seems a bit of an odd move to me as our spine isnt particularly deep.

    I wonder if there is some salary cap shuffling going on in the back end which has ultimately led to this, as an enabler for another contract (big upgrade for Grace or Knowles?) - especially with the delay to the Hurrell announcement as well for seemingly no reason...
    Thought Lussick was brought in as Hooker spelling with Roby, then his spot full time for last 2 seasons of his contract..

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

  18. #18
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,445
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newport dave View Post
    Thought Lussick was brought in as Hooker spelling with Roby, then his spot full time for last 2 seasons of his contract..

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    He has been. Lussick can cover half backs if necessary but hes certainly been brought in to share hooking duties with Roby and then take over the 9 shirt.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  19. #19
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,060
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    There will be an option to recall Smith if he is needed I imagine.
    It’s not normal for year long loans to have a recall I thought? Wigan had it last year with Hankinson. It’s not really fair on the team whose loaning the player either to have the rug pulled out from underneath them on the whim of the loaning club

  20. #20
    In The South Stand Noel Cleal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,649
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    He has been. Lussick can cover half backs if necessary but he’s certainly been brought in to share hooking duties with Roby and then take over the 9 shirt.
    Sironen, Bell and Hopoate all have it in them to cover in the halves in an emergency so I think we are well covered.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

  21. #21
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,121
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Sironen, Bell and Hopoate all have it in them to cover in the halves in an emergency so I think we are well covered.
    Reality is that first choice half back cover will likely be King Jack, with Hopoate playing fullback in his absence.

  22. #22
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,961
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Isn’t us letting Smith go just us utilising the salary cap properly? Doesn’t Smith’s wage not count if he’s on loan for the year?
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  23. #23
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,060
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Isn’t us letting Smith go just us utilising the salary cap properly? Doesn’t Smith’s wage not count if he’s on loan for the year?
    It does not - loan players always count on the loanee clubs salary cap (otherwise a team could buy a championship club and loan all their players to the SL club and effectively double their cap). But it only counts as us utilising the cap if we are using Smiths salary for something else - there was no suggestion it was needed to bring Hurrell in (which has now been announced) so unless someone else is coming in (unlikely) or we are increasing someones wage in a new contract, its just lost cap space

  24. #24
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    To be honest I'm surprised we haven't moved him on, he offers nothing. I was stunned to see him picked for England knights.

  25. #25
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,961
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    It does not - loan players always count on the loanee clubs salary cap (otherwise a team could buy a championship club and loan all their players to the SL club and effectively double their cap). But it only counts as us utilising the cap if we are using Smiths salary for something else - there was no suggestion it was needed to bring Hurrell in (which has now been announced) so unless someone else is coming in (unlikely) or we are increasing someones wage in a new contract, its just lost cap space
    Ah, fair enough. Would guess we are using it to upgrade contracts over the next six months for some of the younger players.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •