Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: England Squad vs France

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default England Squad vs France

5 Saints in the squad: Walmsley, Makinson, Knowles, Lomax & Lees. Obviously no NRL players plus Tomkins and Clark are mentioned as injured. Not really a lot to be read into the squad for an end of season friendly.

Jordan Abdull (Hull KR), Ben Currie (Warrington Wolves), Tom Davies (Catalans Dragons), Niall Evalds (Castleford Tigers), John Bateman (Wigan Warriors), Mike Cooper (Warrington Wolves), Liam Farrell, Zak Hardaker (both Wigan Warriors), Morgan Knowles (St Helens), Kruise Leeming (Leeds Rhinos), Matty Lees, Jonny Lomax (both St Helens), Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity), Paul McShane (Castleford Tigers), Tommy Makinson (St Helens), Harry Newman (Leeds Rhinos), Mikolaj Oledzki (Leeds Rhinos), Joe Philbin, Danny Walker (both Warrington Wolves), Alex Walmsley (St Helens).
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    5 Saints in the squad: Walmsley, Makinson, Knowles, Lomax & Lees. Obviously no NRL players plus Tomkins and Clark are mentioned as injured. Not really a lot to be read into the squad for an end of season friendly.

Jordan Abdull (Hull KR), Ben Currie (Warrington Wolves), Tom Davies (Catalans Dragons), Niall Evalds (Castleford Tigers), John Bateman (Wigan Warriors), Mike Cooper (Warrington Wolves), Liam Farrell, Zak Hardaker (both Wigan Warriors), Morgan Knowles (St Helens), Kruise Leeming (Leeds Rhinos), Matty Lees, Jonny Lomax (both St Helens), Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity), Paul McShane (Castleford Tigers), Tommy Makinson (St Helens), Harry Newman (Leeds Rhinos), Mikolaj Oledzki (Leeds Rhinos), Joe Philbin, Danny Walker (both Warrington Wolves), Alex Walmsley (St Helens).
    Amazes me how Liam Farrell continues to get picked.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

Wigan’s best player this season Ralph and arguably one of the best English second rowers this year.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Surprised Connor isn't in. He should be in there before either Evalds or Hardaker.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Amazes me how people continue to underrate Farrell. Has been and remains a cracking player - he'd be brilliant in our side with some props around him.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Amazes me how people continue to underrate Farrell. Has been and remains a cracking player - he'd be brilliant in our side with some props around him.
    Yep,
    2nd most metres in Superleague plus most tackle busts and clean breaks for a back row forward.

In The South Stand

I’d say Bateman should be more of a surprise. He’s hardly been at his best.

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Totally agree I get it with Farrell he puts a shift in but Bateman for me hasn’t earned his place this season me thinks a bit of Wane nepotism at work here.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Definitely. I can just about understand Farrell. He's a player I have immense respect for, although he is on the downward slope now clearly. Bateman is a fraud however and has no right to be in that squad. Wane has just picked his mates hasn't he.

There are a few who just haven't played anything like well enough to be considered. Bateman, Hardaker, Philbin the stand outs. Philbin seems like he's fallen off a cliff, he did absolutely nothing this season.

Learning All The Songs

10 Saints in the womens' squad to play France.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Definitely. I can just about understand Farrell. He's a player I have immense respect for, although he is on the downward slope now clearly. Bateman is a fraud however and has no right to be in that squad. Wane has just picked his mates hasn't he.

There are a few who just haven't played anything like well enough to be considered. Bateman, Hardaker, Philbin the stand outs. Philbin seems like he's fallen off a cliff, he did absolutely nothing this season.
    If we get Bateman, Hardaker, Philbin and Farrell all on the pitch at the same it will be just one out rugby, might be better making a brew if that happens.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

I think the thing with Farrell is he’s never performed for England against the better International sides. He’s always looked well out of his depth and off the pace.

That said he’s playing well for Wigan, and therefore will probably get one more chance to try and make a claim for one of the second row spots.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Yep,
    2nd most metres in Superleague plus most tackle busts and clean breaks for a back row forward.
    Imagine what he could've achieved in a team that wasn't the lowest point scoring side in the league!

Starting A Programme Collection

I don't think people are underating him, he has been very good for Wigan this year.

The issue is he's never done it on the International stage and always seemed to small for that standard.

It is France though, not Aus or NZ I suppose but it does hinder somebody else's development.

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    I don't think people are underating him, he has been very good for Wigan this year.

The issue is he's never done it on the International stage and always seemed to small for that standard.

It is France though, not Aus or NZ I suppose but it does hinder somebody else's development.
    Some players seem to be play better at international level than club level, O'Loughlin and Connor come to mind and maybe (Golden Boot) Makinson, unfortunately Farrell is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post

Precisely. Not good enough. Not big enough. Might do alright against France but the Aussies, Kiwis and Tonga will bounce him.

I don't question his efforts for the mighty Wigan who's pack is utterly fearsome

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Some players seem to be play better at international level than club level, O'Loughlin and Connor come to mind and maybe (Golden Boot) Makinson, unfortunately Farrell is not one of them.

Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Yep,
    If you were picking an England side, you'd just fill it with Wiganers.

What you say carries zero punch on here.

Bit like your forwards

In The South Stand

If you were picking an England side, you'd just fill it with Wiganers.

What you say carries zero punch on here.

Bit like your forwards
    Spot on Ralph.

Banned

Is McMeeken injured?

I don't like him, and he spends too much time spitting his dummy because an opposing player's had the temerity to tackle him, but he's a big lump and can be effective - on top form he could cause problems for the Convicts or Kiwis.

I just hope our chaps come through unscathed and get a good rest then full pre-season. Another double next year would be reet.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Is McMeeken injured?

I don't like him, and he spends too much time spitting his dummy because an opposing player's had the temerity to tackle him, but he's a big lump and can be effective - on top form he could cause problems for the Convicts or Kiwis.

I just hope our chaps come through unscathed and get a good rest then full pre-season. Another double next year would be reet.
    Don't like him either, always seems to give our Regan Grace some "afters" when Regan makes a break or scores a try. Love to see Passi put a "boom" tackle on him next season, hit him hard and he goes into a quiet spell.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Is McMeeken injured?

I think he has improved out of sight since leaving Cas. As Stiddy says, I am not sure he would stand up to a big forward, but he is now much more aggresive in his running and tackling.

To be fair, when Whitehead is back in the team Farrell drops down to the bench. The usual argument is who are you going to play instead of him.

He does do a lot of work but is undersized for international rugby. O'Loughlin bulked up early in his career to make the jump up to international standard. Farrell seems to have got leaner. Added to this, I know some Wigan fans were calling for him to be dropped as he seems to drop the ball a lot and give away silly penalties, which as a senior player, set a bad example to the rest of the team.

He is a reasonable player to have around until England find someone better.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Got A Season Ticket

Is McMeeken injured?

Was at a Q and A the other day and Wane brought up McMeeken quite a few times as an example of elite players that he wasn't happy with when it comes to basic things, in particular tackle technique and initial contact in his case (I think Mike Cooper was another). He was particularly scathing of his GF performance, making poor 1st contact and being forced to "cheat" (Wane's words) by slowing the ruck with hands on the ball resulting in penalties to the opposition. If he could tackle properly, he could be dominant in the tackle and wouldn't have to try and cheat to be dominant etc. It was part of a wider topic of players at all levels in this country not being able to do the basics of rugby to the expected standard.

On a plus note, when asked who has impressed him the most at England training last week he said Jonny Lomax. Said he is an incredible player and hadn't made a single mistake and when him, Knowles and Walmsley tipped up (obviously saints arrived late to the camp due to the GF) the quality of the training sessions improved massively. Big compliment from Mr wigan himself.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The team in general looks grim. There is a big drop off after our top few players, it does make you wonder if Wane should be trying out some younger players to at least he hasn't gone back to the dry well that is Joe Westerman.

That being said the team that was picked for the Knights had some very strange inclusions. Mikey Lewis looks like Luke Robinson who was also getting over hyped at a similar age but why not give him a go. George Lawler looks about about a foot too short and all he did was get sin binned. Danny Walker looked decent but then Aaron Smith who can't get in our team came on and looked a better hooker, maybe Walker is a loose forward? Walker was then promoted to the main England team over Smith?!?
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.