Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Jerusalem

Learning All The Songs

Default Jerusalem

I thought she nailed that. Forgot to mention it and noone else has..
    Always find it a little emotional in the moment.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Default Jerusalem

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    I thought she nailed that. Forgot to mention it and noone else has..
    Always find it a little emotional in the moment.
    Yeah, it was great. That and ‘Abide with Me’ at Wembley is always the moment where I think ‘Right. This is it.’

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

They could sing 'my old mans a dustman' for all I care.
    I go to watch rugby. Maybe it's just me?

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

I always associate Jerusalem with Yawnion so not fussed.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    I always associate Jerusalem with Yawnion so not fussed.
    Same here, though abide with me always gave me goosebumps at the old Wembley.

Learning All The Songs

The lady who sang Jerusalem at the Ladies GF sang it better for me.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    The lady who sang Jerusalem at the Ladies GF sang it better for me.
    Totally agree
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I always pay attention to Jerusalem as I used to be a part of the brass band that accompanied the singer on pitch before the kick off. The noise in the middle the pitch when the teams came out was just unbelievable, could barely speak to the person next to you. Laura Wright did a decent job but to be honest the appalling effort of abide with me and the national anthem from the challenge cup final didn’t exactly set a high bar!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Couldn't hear a chuffin' thing to be honest from W202, I was trying to listen but absolutely no joy.

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    They could sing 'my old mans a dustman' for all I care.
    I go to watch rugby. Maybe it's just me?
    It’s not. You’re not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    It’s not. You’re not alone.
    Agreed.

In The South Stand

Laura is amazing, she sounded great to me. The antiquated bits like this are what make finals seem that little bit more special.

They should bring back the army dudes bringing the trophy on. Retiring trash players who've played for mid table sides all their careers should not be bringing out the trophy. I was worried Kev Brown (Just why was he there?) was going to drop it.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Usually hear it better on TV than actually at the game.

Not really keen on " Jerusalem" it's been used by various bodies over the years, but the line "dark satanic mills" does conjour up an image of the era when the game was formed.

Pity we can't find a different piece of music that invoke's that era that Rugby League could make it's own.

Re Brass Band it would be nice occasionally to give the pop music a miss and have a brass band at a major final, can't think when we last had one

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Laura is amazing, she sounded great to me. The antiquated bits like this are what make finals seem that little bit more special.

They should bring back the army dudes bringing the trophy on. Retiring trash players who've played for mid table sides all their careers should not be bringing out the trophy. I was worried Kev Brown (Just why was he there?) was going to drop it.
    Yes because the army bringing on the trophy is far more relevant than someone who has dedicated his career to the game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post

Not really keen on " Jerusalem" it's been used by various bodies over the years, but the line "dark satanic mills" does conjour up an image of the era when the game was formed.

There's still debate amongst scholars whether the 'dark, Satanic mills' line is to be taken literally (ie, the mills of the Industrial Revolution era, blackened by the soot of the coal that powered them and Satanic for the barbaric working practices that workers were subjected to) or whether it's a metaphor for the churches of organised Christian religion, which the radical Blake was opposed to (and which he believed had become totally detached from the core message of Christianity)

In The South Stand

I thought it was well sung at both the men's and ladies GFs. The polar opposite of the garbage belted out at the CC Final. I don't think the girl even knew the words, certainly didn't know the key!

Got A Season Ticket

I actually think the spectacle is really poor now. No entertainment, apart from watching people roll out the banners for an eternity. And why the army do that is beyond me. If you want to honour them, fine, but getting them in to do a bit of hunping and dumping is far from that. Jerusalem isn’t an RL song. And very few neutrals compared to the early days of the Grand Final. I thought army blokes did bring out the trophy? But I had no idea Kev Brown was there, couldn’t make anything out from the top tier.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post

fully agree with that. I am not sure why there seems to be a concerted effort going on to try and turn Kevin Brown into a living legend of the game? Dedicated to the game, yes no doubt - but why honour him over any of the other players retiring this season?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post

Pity we can't find a different piece of music that invoke's that era that Rugby League could make it's own.

Re Brass Band it would be nice occasionally to give the pop music a miss and have a brass band at a major final, can't think when we last had one
    I think 2013 was the last grand final we did. We did a lot of the 4 nations games around that period as well and also seemed to go down well. They’ve had brass bands as Wembley a couple of times as well but not recently.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

The problem I had with the event as a whole was the overly long wait to get the trophy. It was ridiculous how long it took to set up the stage and fireworks. I don't think Catalans even got their medals after hanging around for ages after the hooter.
    I much prefer teams climbing up steps to get the trophy and medals but I suppose the sponsors prefer it as it is because they get more brand exposure.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    The problem I had with the event as a whole was the overly long wait to get the trophy. It was ridiculous how long it took to set up the stage and fireworks. I don't think Catalans even got their medals after hanging around for ages after the hooter.
    I much prefer teams climbing up steps to get the trophy and medals but I suppose the sponsors prefer it as it is because they get more brand exposure.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Do they present runners up medals anymore? I didn't notice either Catalans or Cas collect them. Usually they would go up first

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Do they present runners up medals anymore? I didn't notice either Catalans or Cas collect them. Usually they would go up first
    The Wiganers would be able to answer this.