Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Sione

Learning All The Songs

Default Sione

Banned for 1 game after the "punch" he threw. In the old days no one would have batted an eye lid about that incident.McIlorum also got a 1 match ban for tripping .Missed that one I must admit

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Banned for 1 game after the "punch" he threw. In the old days no one would have batted an eye lid about that incident.
    Not much of a punch really, I think Sione managed to roughen up Maloney later in the game.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Not much of a punch really, I think Sione managed to roughen up Maloney later in the game.
    Sione was very very very daft to throw one early in the game.

Yes it was soft but given how soft the game has been reffed in recent weeks it was insane and could have cost us big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Sione was very very very daft to throw one early in the game.

Yes it was soft but given how soft the game has been reffed in recent weeks it was insane and could have cost us big time.

Couldn’t really see it live and haven’t watched the match back but was told Maloney struck him first in the tackle, is that right? (Not saying that this justifies it not being a card).

It certainly was risky. Tomkins did his absolute best to try and get the game stopped so it would be looked at by trying to grapple him.

In The South Stand

I thought Sione retaliated but silly early in the game and his blue hat was a bit of a giveaway , he had a good game though .

In The South Stand

Default Sione

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Couldn’t really see it live and haven’t watched the match back but was told Maloney struck him first in the tackle, is that right? (Not saying that this justifies it not being a card).

It certainly was risky. Tomkins did his absolute best to try and get the game stopped so it would be looked at by trying to grapple him.
    Maloney pushed his forearm into his neck/face and they grappled a bit but Sione then gave him a clenched fist.

Play on was the right decision but you shouldn’t give the ref a decision to make.

In The South Stand

Ref wouldn’t have seen it anyway and would have followed the ball so would have been up to the touch judges, who were presumably doing the same as Moore, and the video ref, who could have seen it differently on another night or later in the game. It was daft from Matautia to react, Maloney was a well known grub of a player so was always going to try his little tricks, Matautia being the obvious target.

I think we need to see a big improvement in Matautia’s discipline next year. We lost him for a cup final, nearly lost him for the Grand Final, could have lost him before some took their seats in the Grand Final and now are without him for the start of next season. Rightly or wrongly, he’s been targeted for the way he plays since signing and needs to be smarter to avoid bans and players attempting to get a reaction from him.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Starting A Programme Collection

Daft thing to do nothing in it but in the modern game you simply can't do those sorts of things

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Ref wouldn’t have seen it anyway and would have followed the ball so would have been up to the touch judges, who were presumably doing the same as Moore, and the video ref, who could have seen it differently on another night or later in the game. It was daft from Matautia to react, Maloney was a well known grub of a player so was always going to try his little tricks, Matautia being the obvious target.

I think we need to see a big improvement in Matautia’s discipline next year. We lost him for a cup final, nearly lost him for the Grand Final, could have lost him before some took their seats in the Grand Final and now are without him for the start of next season. Rightly or wrongly, he’s been targeted for the way he plays since signing and needs to be smarter to avoid bans and players attempting to get a reaction from him.
    Wasnt there a couple of play the balls whilst that was happening so the video ref couldnt get involved anyway? I do agree about Matautias discipline though, to a point, i thought he was hard done by to miss the cup final, the semi final there was very little he could do, considering Briscoe slips going in to contact, Saturday was an act of stupidity that could have cost us.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Wasnt there a couple of play the balls whilst that was happening so the video ref couldnt get involved anyway? I do agree about Matautias discipline though, to a point, i thought he was hard done by to miss the cup final, the semi final there was very little he could do, considering Briscoe slips going in to contact, Saturday was an act of stupidity that could have cost us.
    I don't think it was. There has been a hysterical reaction to it, but if you watch it in it's entirety, it's so minor. The Catalans player is the aggressor and if Mata'utia is being carded, he would have to also. Forearmed to the throat is no different to a punch. Tomkins then also punches him, a typical weak and feeble punch but it's a punch. There aren't many players who would have done any differently.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I don't think it was. There has been a hysterical reaction to it, but if you watch it in it's entirety, it's so minor. The Catalans player is the aggressor and if Mata'utia is being carded, he would have to also. Forearmed to the throat is no different to a punch. Tomkins then also punches him, a typical weak and feeble punch but it's a punch. There aren't many players who would have done any differently.
    But when dealing with 2 niggly little shits like Maloney and Tomkins why get involved and give them the opportunity to play up and try and get you sent off, one of them flops to the floor and it draws the refs attention you are at the mercy of what they think. Just run over them the next time you have ball in hand or hammer them in a tackle, takes the decision out of the refs hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    But when dealing with 2 niggly little shits like Maloney and Tomkins why get involved and give them the opportunity to play up and try and get you sent off, one of them flops to the floor and it draws the refs attention you are at the mercy of what they think. Just run over them the next time you have ball in hand or hammer them in a tackle, takes the decision out of the refs hands.
    Agree with this - he needs to get smarter. As others have commented over the last few weeks, the football style playacting is creeping into our game and if Maloney had dropped to the floor and lay there, the ref would have stopped the game and it would have been reviewed.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Banned for 1 game after the "punch" he threw. In the old days no one would have batted an eye lid about that incident.McIlorum also got a 1 match ban for tripping .Missed that one I must admit
    BBC highlights pick up on the trip - not long after the Maloney/Sione scuffle.

Banned

This is the Catalans YouTube channel (so focuses on Saints indiscretions mainly)

The Mata'utia incident starts at 0:40, but from about 0:50 gives a better view. Basically, Mata'utia charges at the kicker (Maloney), who kicks just before Mata'utia gets there. Mata'utia is actually disciplined, as he doesn't barge into Maloney and instead slows and just grabs him. Maloney, being the gobshite that he is, smashes his forearm/elbow up into Mata'utia's jaw/chin, and Mata'utia reacts with a half-arsed right cross. Ratboy, who's already come across and is grabbing Mata'utia, then reacts. Knowles pulls the Steptoe tw*t off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9_edH1YwAo&t=483s

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    This is the Catalans YouTube channel (so focuses on Saints indiscretions mainly)

The Mata'utia incident starts at 0:40, but from about 0:50 gives a better view. Basically, Mata'utia charges at the kicker (Maloney), who kicks just before Mata'utia gets there. Mata'utia is actually disciplined, as he doesn't barge into Maloney and instead slows and just grabs him. Maloney, being the gobshite that he is, smashes his forearm/elbow up into Mata'utia's jaw/chin, and Mata'utia reacts with a half-arsed right cross. Ratboy, who's already come across and is grabbing Mata'utia, then reacts. Knowles pulls the Steptoe tw*t off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9_edH1YwAo&t=483s
    Joel Tompkins was a little grub with the LMS incident. Both LMS & Kasiano were squaring up while he keeps pulling at the shirt of LMS about four or five times as it is all starting to calm down, a complete $hothouse in my book.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Joel Tompkins was a little grub with the LMS incident. Both LMS & Kasiano were squaring up while he keeps pulling at the shirt of LMS about four or five times as it is all starting to calm down, a complete $hothouse in my book.
    I honestly think he was trying to get LMS sent off, thankfully Louie didn't react.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

I like the fact that Sione has got that bit of mongrel in him, like it about Bentley too. For years we were pushed around and intimidated too easily, if it costs him the odd game, then so be it. I’m confident that Winston will have some one to take his place on occasion when needed.

I’m also loving the bleating and squealing about the “contentious” decisions from everyone outside the Saints camp, somehow makes the win even sweeter.

Edit: I’ll give credit to the Catalan players for the part they played but their chairman let them down a bit afterwards.

Worth the ban for Sione to rough up the dosser…..
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.