Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Trafford

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    From some of the experiences on this post it's more a Theatre of Nightmare experience rather than Dreams, I agree about an earlier start, interesting that one of Superleagues only main sponsors Northern Rail put a press release out advising people NOT to travel by rail due to limited services which seems to defeat the object of being a sponsor, Old Trafford itself is looking a bit ramshackle these days, what's the feeling about approaching Man City to see if they would be willing to put it on in their reasonably new modern stadium, on a purely selfish basis I'd like that as I've never been to their ground
    The Emptyhad is a bit too small for our showpiece fixtures at 53k. Would have been fine for for this one I guess but normally we're at 60-70k and it would be a shame to lose that. Nice ground though tbf and a good option for internationals and magic weekends.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    The Emptyhad is a bit too small for our showpiece fixtures at 53k. Would have been fine for for this one I guess but normally we're at 60-70k and it would be a shame to lose that. Nice ground though tbf and a good option for internationals and magic weekends.

Not to mention, owned by a murderous, terrorist-supporting, human-rights denying oil dictatorship.

I had a pre booked parking space. I got the feeling that maybe they had let in too many pay on the door people in. However they found me a space and all was good.

I also told/convinced my wife to take a small bag which got in with no issue. Not allowing large hand bags into events is a pretty standard anti-terrorism thing these days. It makes sense as they would need to hire a hundred extra staff to check through them all and there would then be big queues to get into the ground.

So in future tell the wife to not bring her bag and book a parking space in advance. Pretty simple if you you know to do it.

The thing that annoyed me was that a number of fans were smuggling drinks to their seats then knocking them all over the place. It is frustrating when a minority just don't want to pay any attention to the rules because it doesn't suit them. This isn't a RL issue as this seems to happen at any arena or stadium event. Stewards do tell people not to do it but they are not going to risk getting in a fight with these idiots for a temp job. Maybe there needs to be more of a police presence at these events to stop the idiots spoiling it for everyone else.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Not to mention, owned by a murderous, terrorist-supporting, human-rights denying oil dictatorship.
    Fair point, so I suppose that makes Newcastle not the place to go for Magic Weekend now as their new owner dismembers journalists who criticise him

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    We had a really good time, but it's clear now more than ever that a lot of people just can't drink and maintain any level of dignity. Pre-game was great, had a few drinks and wandered to the ground. Upon getting to the seats (Corner of the Saints end) we were met with a 20 minute queue because people couldn't get to their seats at the back, so just stood in the aisle rather than sorting it. Eventually a steward came and resolved it and we got to our seats and they were taken. I was met with "Everyone is sitting wherever they want, it's Grand Final lad". I jokingly said, "Not, me I'm special, I get to sit in my seat, you can sit on my knee if you like". The guy stormed off, leaving his partner and young child saying he had had enough and was going home. Wife then storms off, falling down the admittedly enormous steps and leaves the kid stranded. He eventually walked down under the stand and they eventually returned and took their own seats. All this caused by a load of Karen's sat at the back refusing to move because they were too drunk to read the number on their ticket. They were in the wrong section and spent 20 minutes of the first half being moved because they couldn't understand the concept of sections. All fun and games, but can you imagine what the experience was like for the young lad, who was about 7 or 8?

I went to take my lad to the toilet at half time and pushed an unlocked cubicle door open. There was a guy of about thirty with a poo in a wad of toilet roll smearing it over the cubicle walls. "What TF are you doing?" was met with an attempt to pass it off as banter and he walked off swaying everywhere telling me I was a boring c-word.
    This seems a lot of this sort of behaviour going on. It doesn't seem to be a St Helens or a Rugby League issue but a problem with our society at present.

Saturday wasn't a sporting event for these people but a •••• up were they can do what they want because they are on a •••• up.

As I said previously. There needs to be a better police presence to chuck these idiots out. Once they are banned that it is it and they rest of us get to just enjoying live sport and music.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I had a pre booked parking space. I got the feeling that maybe they had let in too many pay on the door people in. However they found me a space and all was good.

I also told/convinced my wife to take a small bag which got in with no issue. Not allowing large hand bags into events is a pretty standard anti-terrorism thing these days. It makes sense as they would need to hire a hundred extra staff to check through them all and there would then be big queues to get into the ground.

So in future tell the wife to not bring her bag and book a parking space in advance. Pretty simple if you you know to do it.

The thing that annoyed me was that a number of fans were smuggling drinks to their seats then knocking them all over the place. It is frustrating when a minority just don't want to pay any attention to the rules because it doesn't suit them. This isn't a RL issue as this seems to happen at any arena or stadium event. Stewards do tell people not to do it but they are not going to risk getting in a fight with these idiots for a temp job. Maybe there needs to be more of a police presence at these events to stop the idiots spoiling it for everyone else.
    Cheers mate, although the wife's bag was too small to put even a rolled up programme in, the fact that we were let in at the gate with no issues makes me suspect that the initial demand that we hand over the bag was iffy, which was why I mentioned it. We were well aware of "oversized" bags being taken off folk when we've been to concerts, so my wife only took a small bag, hence our concern. I didn't prebook the parking because as I said every other time I've been to OT to watch Saints (every time they've been!) I've paid on the gate. You live and learn.

Banned

Fair point, so I suppose that makes Newcastle not the place to go for Magic Weekend now as their new owner dismembers journalists who criticise him

The Saudi scumbags make Abu Dhabi (and Qatar) seem like egalitarian paradises in comparison.

As well as what you say, they execute people for being gay, deny women even the most basic of human right and freedoms, have funded Islamist terrorists since the 70's, are waging a war in Yemen that has killed thousands of children.

I won't be going to Sid James's Park.

In The South Stand

From some of the experiences on this post it's more a Theatre of Nightmare experience rather than Dreams, I agree about an earlier start, interesting that one of Superleagues only main sponsors Northern Rail put a press release out advising people NOT to travel by rail due to limited services which seems to defeat the object of being a sponsor, Old Trafford itself is looking a bit ramshackle these days, what's the feeling about approaching Man City to see if they would be willing to put it on in their reasonably new modern stadium, on a purely selfish basis I'd like that as I've never been to their ground
    I've never been to Citys ground but my wife has atteneded concerts there and says the seating is far superior to that at Old Trafford.

In The South Stand

Didn’t have a problem with Old Trafford, myself. The experience Saturday was not bad. Had a decent view from where we sat, there was plenty of space around us due to size of the crowd so that wasn’t a problem and the stewards were good, the one nearest to us was good and was turning a blind eye to people walking around with alcohol.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    What some people might not realise is that they probably use products backed by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) all the time.

Disney, Uber, Facebook and Starbucks are just some of the companies to have received hundreds of millions of pounds from PIF, which owns 80% of Newcastle.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-58842557

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Learning All The Songs

For future magic weekends, the new Everton stadium would be ideal (IF it ever gets built)

In The South Stand

I have said for years that this game should be played in the afternoon everything is to do with SKY TV who are telling us what they want us to do , i will go further and say it would be better being moved to another Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    For future magic weekends, the new Everton stadium would be ideal (IF it ever gets built)
    Yes, I thought this when it came to Anfield a couple of years ago. It would be perfect for it.

Work’s been underway on the site for a few weeks now so it is looking like it will happen.

Learning All The Songs

TBF never seen any trouble all plain sailing. Good seats near the front with a mixture of fans from various R.L. towns like Whitehaven, Rochdale, Huddersfield and Hull.Obviously most of the neutrals took Catalans side. The downside took me 40 minutes to find out where I parked. Was sat next to Martin Foy who played for Wigan late 70's early 80's. What a lovely chap. The lady who presents the BBC S.L. show came over and we got her to sign the programme. Very down to earth.

Learning All The Songs

my day was slightly spoiled by getting sprayed by alcohol when we scored the tries by some pillocks sat behind us . Also the lady sat next to me ( Susan from Leigh) got a drenching. Block U21

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post

You like the smell of a sewage farm, do you?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    my day was slightly spoiled by getting sprayed by alcohol when we scored the tries by some pillocks sat behind us . Also the lady sat next to me ( Susan from Leigh) got a drenching. Block U21
    I like how you give her a shout out
    I was wedged between my 16 year old lad and some overly friendly lady to my left. She kept stroking my arm and when Naiqama made the break she gave me a camel bite. Her husband didn’t seem to mind. It was the closest I’ve come to an affair in some time. I didn’t tell our maud until the tram home.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I was wedged between my 16 year old lad and some overly friendly lady to my left. She kept stroking my arm and when Naiqama made the break she gave me a camel bite. Her husband didn’t seem to mind. It was the closest I’ve come to an affair in some time. I didn’t tell our maud until the tram home.
    Susan was a very nice lady !! Unfortunately somewhat younger than me . I can make these comments safe in the knowledge my wife doesn't read this forum!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Susan was a very nice lady !! Unfortunately somewhat younger than me . I can make these comments safe in the knowledge my wife doesn't read this forum!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Wtf is a camel bite?

We were in the quadrant to the side of the Stratford end and the only trouble I saw was a plastic bottle being thrown at the Catalans tw4t who thought it was a good idea to stand on the railing with his arms up after the cat try….

If I’d have had a bottle to hand, I’d have thrown it at him!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    What some people might not realise is that they probably use products backed by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) all the time.

Disney, Uber, Facebook and Starbucks are just some of the companies to have received hundreds of millions of pounds from PIF, which owns 80% of Newcastle.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-58842557

It's a huge stretch to equate a state wealth fund buying a minority stake in public companies, and owning a football club to try to sportwash their bloody tyranny.

The perpetually brilliant David Squires of the Guardian nails it totally:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...saudi-takeover