Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2006 v's 2021

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'd say Darren Albert has a shout for that
    I'd forgotten about him! I think Tommy is better all round but Albert, Sullivan and Grace all top class players and all would be in the mix for a "dream team" Saints team of the SL era

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    I'd forgotten about him! I think Tommy is better all round but Albert, Sullivan and Grace all top class players and all would be in the mix for a "dream team" Saints team of the SL era
    That sounds like a debate worthy of the off season

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    That sounds like a debate worthy of the off season
    Hard to compare players that have retired with one just starting his career. Anyway 4 good wingers.

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    2006 was a good side but it still had 2 wingers everyone on here hated, a second rower that everyone hated and Mike Bennett

That's in jest a bit but time has been kind to that side, it only won one Grand Final in a row and the core of it got absolutely annihilated by Leeds the next year
    Easy tactic for the 2021 side to win, just kick to Meli at the end of every set

The fitness of the players in 2021, allied to the defense would give them the edge. This Saints team is capable of playing the whole 80 minutes at such a high tempo and would take the win IMHO but I’d rather watch the swashbuckling 2006 side…
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Tommy has been a bit unlucky being on our right side and has not had a classic "wingers centre" inside of him like others in the past.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Tommy has been a bit unlucky being on our right side and has not had a classic "wingers centre" inside of him like others in the past.
    Imagine him being outside Jamie Lyon, what a combination that would have been!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Just watched the podcast Out of Our League with Jamie Jones Buchanan they talk about the 3-peat with Leeds and the Saints potential one.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/articl...ones-buchanan-

Its around 17m -30s in they are talking about the togetherness of a team and what Leeds had at the time, interestingly Wilkin said the Saints never had that in the 2002 to 2008 era and were a team of stars with no togetherness and Saints struggles for years afterwards. He mentioned the all stars had different opinions that didn't really bond them together.

Fast track into the Holbrook/Woolf years and we are more identifiable towards the Leeds team in their prime years.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Imagine him being outside Jamie Lyon, what a combination that would have been!
    Or Gidley,either would of been good. Ade scored 31 trys in 06 and 08 outside those two.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Just watched the podcast Out of Our League with Jamie Jones Buchanan they talk about the 3-peat with Leeds and the Saints potential one.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/articl...ones-buchanan-

Its around 17m -30s in they are talking about the togetherness of a team and what Leeds had at the time, interestingly Wilkin said the Saints never had that in the 2002 to 2008 era and were a team of stars with no togetherness and Saints struggles for years afterwards. He mentioned the all stars had different opinions that didn't really bond them together.

Fast track into the Holbrook/Woolf years and we are more identifiable towards the Leeds team in their prime years.
    I saw that as well, was really interesting to watch and listen to. it's always bothered me that we only had 1 GF win to show for with that squad. Wilkin has mentioned a few times how brutal that dressing room was. We were incredibly successful during that era. We played every domestic game possible from 06/08 and won 7/9 trophies that were available yet after hearing Wilkin's comments it does make me wonder what could have been if we had fewer egos. That team could have swept the lot from 06 to 08.
    Last edited by SaintJon; 10th October 2021 at 16:24.

Got A Season Ticket

Had this conversation coming back from the final. Hard to compare, obviously, because the opposition, the competition and even the rules are different.

So I couldn’t say if this team was better, but I could say that in the context of the current competition, they are more dominant.