JB&B Leach Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 61 of 61

Thread: 2006 v's 2021

  1. #51
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    511
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'd say Darren Albert has a shout for that
    I'd forgotten about him! I think Tommy is better all round but Albert, Sullivan and Grace all top class players and all would be in the mix for a "dream team" Saints team of the SL era

  2. #52
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,053
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    I'd forgotten about him! I think Tommy is better all round but Albert, Sullivan and Grace all top class players and all would be in the mix for a "dream team" Saints team of the SL era
    That sounds like a debate worthy of the off season

  3. #53
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    8,586
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    That sounds like a debate worthy of the off season
    Hard to compare players that have retired with one just starting his career. Anyway 4 good wingers.

  4. #54
    Got A Season Ticket NSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    2006 was a good side but it still had 2 wingers everyone on here hated, a second rower that everyone hated and Mike Bennett

    That's in jest a bit but time has been kind to that side, it only won one Grand Final in a row and the core of it got absolutely annihilated by Leeds the next year
    Easy tactic for the 2021 side to win, just kick to Meli at the end of every set

  5. #55
    Learning All The Songs RJM25R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Royton, Oldham
    Posts
    1,939
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    The fitness of the players in 2021, allied to the defense would give them the edge. This Saints team is capable of playing the whole 80 minutes at such a high tempo and would take the win IMHO but Id rather watch the swashbuckling 2006 side
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

    This life is more than just a read through.

  6. #56
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    6,020
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    I'd forgotten about him! I think Tommy is better all round but Albert, Sullivan and Grace all top class players and all would be in the mix for a "dream team" Saints team of the SL era
    Tommy has been a bit unlucky being on our right side and has not had a classic "wingers centre" inside of him like others in the past.

  7. #57
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    8,586
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Tommy has been a bit unlucky being on our right side and has not had a classic "wingers centre" inside of him like others in the past.
    Imagine him being outside Jamie Lyon, what a combination that would have been!

  8. #58
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    6,020
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Just watched the podcast Out of Our League with Jamie Jones Buchanan they talk about the 3-peat with Leeds and the Saints potential one.

    https://www.superleague.co.uk/articl...ones-buchanan-

    Its around 17m -30s in they are talking about the togetherness of a team and what Leeds had at the time, interestingly Wilkin said the Saints never had that in the 2002 to 2008 era and were a team of stars with no togetherness and Saints struggles for years afterwards. He mentioned the all stars had different opinions that didn't really bond them together.

    Fast track into the Holbrook/Woolf years and we are more identifiable towards the Leeds team in their prime years.

  9. #59
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,293
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Imagine him being outside Jamie Lyon, what a combination that would have been!
    Or Gidley,either would of been good. Ade scored 31 trys in 06 and 08 outside those two.

  10. #60
    Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,274
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Just watched the podcast Out of Our League with Jamie Jones Buchanan they talk about the 3-peat with Leeds and the Saints potential one.

    https://www.superleague.co.uk/articl...ones-buchanan-

    Its around 17m -30s in they are talking about the togetherness of a team and what Leeds had at the time, interestingly Wilkin said the Saints never had that in the 2002 to 2008 era and were a team of stars with no togetherness and Saints struggles for years afterwards. He mentioned the all stars had different opinions that didn't really bond them together.

    Fast track into the Holbrook/Woolf years and we are more identifiable towards the Leeds team in their prime years.
    I saw that as well, was really interesting to watch and listen to. it's always bothered me that we only had 1 GF win to show for with that squad. Wilkin has mentioned a few times how brutal that dressing room was. We were incredibly successful during that era. We played every domestic game possible from 06/08 and won 7/9 trophies that were available yet after hearing Wilkin's comments it does make me wonder what could have been if we had fewer egos. That team could have swept the lot from 06 to 08.
    Last edited by SaintJon; 10th October 2021 at 15:24.

  11. #61
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Had this conversation coming back from the final. Hard to compare, obviously, because the opposition, the competition and even the rules are different.

    So I couldn’t say if this team was better, but I could say that in the context of the current competition, they are more dominant.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •