Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Batchelor

Got A Replica Shirt

Thumbs up Joe Batchelor

Just thought I would give Joe a mention.He isnt a high profile player like Bentley but he has done so well filling in for him and Thompson and does his share of the tackling for the full 80 mins. He was also robbed of a try against Catalan by Maloney and pinched the ball for Percys try against Warrington. I hope they keep him in the side next year

Quote Originally Posted by kimmysaint View Post
    Just thought I would give Joe a mention.He isnt a high profile player like Bentley but he has done so well filling in for him and Thompson and does his share of the tackling for the full 80 mins. He was also robbed of a try against Catalan by Maloney and pinched the ball for Percys try against Warrington. I hope they keep him in the side next year
    I've been made up with him this year. I must say I suspected this would be his last season with us but with Bentley being injured and Thompson not quite doing it he's taken his opportunity with both hands. An automatic pick for the GF.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kimmysaint View Post
    I don't think we now consider Batchelor as a "filler" for Bentley and Thompson, at the start of the season Woolf gave him a set of goals but it was difficult for him to get the odd appearance in the first team. Once he got around 4 consecutive games he achieved those goals and now Woolf sees him as a player in the first 17.

For me his mental stature grew after the Challenge Cup Final, his approach play was very impressive as though he didn't want any player to take the shirt of him, I also think he will get better.

In The South Stand

Didn’t think he had a future beyond this year, to be honest. I hadn’t seen enough in his fleeting appearances to warrant an extension based upon what he offered but once he got a run of games, he’s shown more than enough to be a mainstay in the seventeen.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Mata’utia, Batchelor, Knowles, Sironen, Bell, Hurrell, Wingfield. That’s 7 players competing for what is probably 4 places in the 17 so players are going to have to be at their best to keep the shirt. For me Mata’utia, Batchelor and Knowles have earned the starting jerseys for round 1 but I’d expect the squad numbers 11 and 12 to be filled by Mata’utia and Sironen.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

He was great last night, getting better and better.
    Leeds were struggling to get him on the floor.

Matautia also had another great game in the second row.

There’s some real tough competition for places next year between Sorensen, Batchelor, Matautia, Bell, Hurrell.

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    He was great last night, getting better and better.
    Leeds were struggling to get him on the floor.

Matautia also had another great game in the second row.

There’s some real tough competition for places next year between Sorensen, Batchelor, Matautia, Bell, Hurrell.
    I can’t see Kurt playing anywhere other than prop!��

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I would definitley have Batchelor in the 17, even with the new signings for next year. It's really up to Sironen during pre season to push him out of a starting position.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Fair play to Bachelor he’s really made that shirt his own. I think he claimed it at Wembley.
    Players usually bulk in the off season but Bachelor looked bigger to me on Friday night. I might be imagining it but he looked a bit stockier. His leg drive looks to have improved in contact. He really takes some putting down.
    Last edited by fishy3005; 3rd October 2021 at 04:01.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

It's took him a while to find his way in but he's took his chance and should be a cert for our 17 now. He seems to get better with every game and gives good balance to the right edge of the field with Mata'utia being a more potent attacking back rower on the left and Batchelor being a more solid, defensive back rower on the right. His defensive ability also helps protect that right side of Naiqama and Dodd.

Sometimes patience with these project players are key. It's why Dan Norman may need a season or two to find his way in and why we shouldn't expect too much too early. Saints are a brilliantly managed club and we have an outstanding coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    It's took him a while to find his way in but he's took his chance and should be a cert for our 17 now. He seems to get better with every game and gives good balance to the right edge of the field with Mata'utia being a more potent attacking back rower on the left and Batchelor being a more solid, defensive back rower on the right. His defensive ability also helps protect that right side of Naiqama and Dodd.

Sometimes patience with these project players are key. It's why Dan Norman may need a season or two to find his way in and why we shouldn't expect too much too early. Saints are a brilliantly managed club and we have an outstanding coach.
    Glad he got a run to show what he can do.

Came by an unusual route via Coventry RL.

Really good foil for Mata'utia but can play a bit as well.

New contract was well earned.

Be interesting to see how who plays second row next season.

I wasn’t too sure at the beginning and it takes a lot to win me over. I think he is doing a fine job and goes about his business quietly.. well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

He was excellent again on Saturday. Rock solid defensively and as mentioned a real handful to put down.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

He's a quality player.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

I do think he is improving at a fast pace and is already a guaranteed 17 now. Sironen might get the shirt number but with the way he charges at the line & throws himself into tackles he is always going to spend a bit of time in the treatment room so there is going to be plenty of opportunities for Batchelor to prove himself. I can see him doing a good job at prop if needed tbh.

Got A Replica Shirt

He was outstanding once again on Saturday, with a couple of stand out contributions.

And what about that inch perfect kick to touch?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

He's been excellent for us, he didn't look much the first couple of times I saw him play but he's really grown into the team and has been our best second row this year.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ant84 View Post
    He was outstanding once again on Saturday, with a couple of stand out contributions.

And what about that inch perfect kick to touch?
    His big hit on Kasiano summed him up for me. All heart, will to win. Good lad

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

A bit of a make or break season for Batchelor with him turning 27 in a couple of weeks. He’s certainly taken his chance with both hands and with so many players gunning for limited spots in the back row he’s certainly put a marker down to start the season at 12. To think as well he might not have got a lot of game time if Bentley hadn’t had so many injuries.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    A bit of a make or break season for Batchelor with him turning 27 in a couple of weeks. He’s certainly taken his chance with both hands and with so many players gunning for limited spots in the back row he’s certainly put a marker down to start the season at 12. To think as well he might not have got a lot of game time if Bentley hadn’t had so many injuries.
    He will keep the shirt for the first game with Mata'utia sat down, interesting to se what Woolf does after. I would think that Batchelor or Mata'ütia will spend some time during each game at 13 spelling Knowles.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    He will keep the shirt for the first game with Mata'utia sat down, interesting to se what Woolf does after. I would think that Batchelor or Mata'ütia will spend some time during each game at 13 spelling Knowles.
    There is also a possibilty that if we have a prop shortage thro injuries Batchelor or Knowles may play prop and if they do a great job they could end up transitioning to that position.

In The South Stand

Knowles could play prop if Bell takes Loose Forward spot .

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post

Mata'utia would only miss a friendly as they count in suspension terms.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    if true, another bizarre RFL rule .

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    If thats the case he should have stuck one as well on Rat Boy and then arranged 2 friendly games.