Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 21 man squad v Leeds - SEMI FINAL!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    With the exception of pivots Coote, Dodd, Lomax and Roby he's got the rest of the team hitting very hard in defence and attack. as well as Walmsley I thought Percival and Makinson were tremendous last night going in hard and fast causing lots of Leeds players to be overworked. Woolf is a craggy hard character and according to Coote the coach is very demanding maybe the players are now fully commited to Woolfs ideals of relentless pressure in defence and attack.
    I was critical of how predictable Woolf’s tactics were with Percy and Tommy taking in those first drives but boy it worked last night. So ferocious every time, it was a great start to the sets. Just not 100% if it was because Leeds were so bad and if it works as well against Catalan.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djh1972 View Post
    I was critical of how predictable Woolf’s tactics were with Percy and Tommy taking in those first drives but boy it worked last night. So ferocious every time, it was a great start to the sets. Just not 100% if it was because Leeds were so bad and if it works as well against Catalan.
    We had a short spell mid season that it wasn't effectiive especially for Makinson, but Tommy and Percy are so powerful now on impact they are as effective as a front rower and gives our middles time to keep their energy levels up. There is a podcast from Ade Gardener explaining the tactic when he played for saints and the after effects of concussion symptoms, I should imagine Tommy and Percy are aware of what these effects could be coming there way.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by djh1972 View Post
    There's a bit of 'chicken and egg' in it for me. Dominant forwards mean the opposition are kicking from deep - and Leeds's kicking game was generally poor anyway - which in turn makes it easier for stronger backs like Makinson and Percival to make yards early in a set. In turn that makes it easier for Walmsley and the others to catch a breather coming back ready to go again on tackle three and four when we're already up near half way. Repeat ad nauseum.

When we were coming away from closer to our own line Batchelor and Mata'utia put in a fair shift too so we were still getting on the front foot.

Drinkwater has a really good kicking game, Catalans have a bigger pack and they have more options to create chances of their own so it'll be harder to do the same thing, but we did a good job of it against them for an hour or so a few weeks back. I think the two teams are pretty well matched at the moment.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I'm not sure if this is right or not, but it seems to me that Walmsley is playing with more aggression under Woolf than I have seen him do previously. He's always carried and tackled hard, but you can see the aggression in his contacts over the past couple of seasons.
    I think he has stepped up his aggresive running and intensity over the past few weeks, more than over the whole season. His current displays are as good as you will see from a prop. I remember some great games from Peacock, but they tended to be in games when the opposition was tough, rather than him running for so many metres.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

It was a very dominant performance and would have been even more dominant if it was not for a very dodgy yellow card and some silly play by saints giving away hard won feild position with pointless hands on the ball resulting in 6 again.

But across the park we were very dominant in all positions .

Catalan will be better, but we have shown we can do the same to them, so very hopeful for more of the same on Saturday.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think he has stepped up his aggresive running and intensity over the past few weeks, more than over the whole season. His current displays are as good as you will see from a prop. I remember some great games from Peacock, but they tended to be in games when the opposition was tough, rather than him running for so many metres.
    As you mentioned Peacock he did the after match discussion with Wilkin on BB2 and he made one valid point about Catalan having to overcome mentally the pressure of the Old Trafford atmosphere when they come onto the pitch and not freeze like rabbits in the headlights. For us I can't see us having this problem this is our 5th Final in 3 seasons and we have quite a lot of players leaving our squad and the team will play for them.

For Walmsley this is probably the best he has played and he has decent support from the other front rowers, worth also mentioning it looks as though Roby is hitting top form as well. Woolf seems to have got his approach for the play offs right similar to last year.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Oledski (47), Prior (34), Donaldson (16), Smith (41), Martin (64), Tetevano (62), Holroyd (14). Leeds props and back row managed just 278m. Only one player for them broke 100m and that was Luke Briscoe with 103m off 19 carries. Walmsley and LMS alone carried more than all those Leeds forwards.

Worth noting Walmsley though, 17 carries for 184m, 28 tackles 0 missed, 14 tackle busts. There was talk on the Leeds forum before the game of how Walmsley had been lucky to steamroller an inexperienced Leeds pack a few weeks ago and how with a full strength pack and the ‘enforcer’ Tetevano it would be a different story……oops!
    Even after getting wasted by us, their fans are claiming man for man, they are just as good as us, its just the coach that is the difference. I despair.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    Even after getting wasted by us, their fans are claiming man for man, they are just as good as us, its just the coach that is the difference. I despair.
    Delusional. There’s a lot of people expecting Leeds to be a better team next year with the signings they’ve made but a couple of marquee half backs won’t make a massive difference behind an ineffective pack. Now on paper a starting pack of Prior, Leeming, Oledski, Bentley, Martin and Tetevano is decent, but the bench and pack depth is shocking. Their 1-5 isn’t great either. From what I’ve seen their big hope for next season is that the injury prone players they have won’t be injury prone next season. Good luck with that! They might creep up one place to 4th if Wigan and Catalan drop off the way I expect them to but I can’t see them seriously challenging.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Roby, Walmsley, Makinson & Coote are experienced enough now to know that they do not need to play at top form all season but put in big displays against teams when needed, along with Lomax they are looking after their bodies until the games that matter.
    Mindset is a big part of this, though Lachlan & Johnny seem to need a game or two to come up to speed as their pass timing goes awry when they are rested, hopefully with last weeks game and the extra game Johnny played after his knock this will not be an issue.

As you mentioned Peacock he did the after match discussion with Wilkin on BB2 and he made one valid point about Catalan having to overcome mentally the pressure of the Old Trafford atmosphere when they come onto the pitch and not freeze like rabbits in the headlights. For us I can't see us having this problem this is our 5th Final in 3 seasons and we have quite a lot of players leaving our squad and the team will play for them.

For Walmsley this is probably the best he has played and he has decent support from the other front rowers, worth also mentioning it looks as though Roby is hitting top form as well. Woolf seems to have got his approach for the play offs right similar to last year.
    Far too many experienced, quality players for that to happen I think. Walk in the park for Maloney this. Played at a much higher level

I think it’s a bit more than a couple of players hitting form. The whole team as been much better for a
    about 6 weeks. Whether that is confidence, team spirit, Woolf having us peak At the right time, I’m not sure. Probably a combination of factors.

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Deserved.

Banned

First Tweet:

"Another final I’m sure you will win for the saints."