Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Leeds - SEMI FINAL!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I can see LMS starting with Lees on the bench. I would say Thompson over Amor on the bench.
    Id be disappointed to see Thompson start over Amor. He offers next to nothing. One of the worst imports signed in recent years.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I won't bother with an IN/OUT from last time as there were so many changes for the Salford game. Easier just to say Fages and Bentley are missing and everyone else is available.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2021/09/2...squad-named-2/

1. Lachlan Coote, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 4. Mark Percival, 5, Regan Grace, 6, Jonny Lomax, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Matty Lees, 11. Joel Thompson, 13, Morgan Knowles, 14. Sione Mata’utia, 15, LMS, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Agnatius Paasi, 18. Jack Welsby, 19, Aaron Smith, 20, Joe Batchelor, 21. Lewis Dodd, 23, Jake Wingfield, 29. Ben Davies.

The Lomax/Dodd/Welsby debate has been done to death and I genuinely don't have a clue what he will do. So I will have a guess at what I think it'll be, not necessarily what I would do. There's also an interesting competition for bench spots with Amor, LMS, Thompson, Wingfield, Paasi fighting for 3 spots in my eyes.

Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Dodd
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Lees
    Batchelor
    Matautia
    Knowles

Welsby (I know, I know )
    LMS
    Paasi
    Thompson

Amor, Wingfield, Davies and Smith to miss out.
    I would go with this apart from Switching Amor and Thompson. LMS can cover virtually the whole pack bar hooker and Welsby can fill in in the 3/4s or at 13.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...al/?ref=twtrec

Interesting point in the article here:

MC: The same question as all year, where does Jack Welsby play?

KW: We have to keep some secrets – and everyone will see when they run out on Friday.

The thing I will say is we want all of those blokes on the field at the same time. If you look at our key players, the ones that are going to help in key moments of the game that go a long way in winning, it is James Roby, Jack Welsby, Lewis Dodd, Jonny Lomax, Lachlan Coote and Morgan Knowles.

They all play in key positions for a reason and we want them all on the field as much as possible and will figure out a way to make that happen. Those players will have a big impact on the result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it was close this one. There seemed to be quite a bit of bias for the Yorkshire teams towards the end of the regular season. Probably because they are all so bad that everyone in Yorkshire is going watching the Leeds football team again instead of rugby league

St Helens are in a different league from Leeds so there’s no way it should be anything other than a comfortable win but we will see
    Few Ales last night ?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it was close this one. There seemed to be quite a bit of bias for the Yorkshire teams towards the end of the regular season. Probably because they are all so bad that everyone in Yorkshire is going watching the Leeds football team again instead of rugby league

St Helens are in a different league from Leeds so there’s no way it should be anything other than a comfortable win but we will see
    For me its Catalans and Hull KR that are getting the highlight, every man and his dog wants a new name on that Superleague Trophy. Neutrals will also will always go for the underdog so Saints fans should be used to that by now. However their is a big difference in the social media channels of bigging them up and to what they could face in a ruthless saints team.

The team has probably learnt a lot from the Catalan game, they know it needs 80 mins of intensity pressure, the opposition will probably want to be 2 scores ahead and defend it hoping Saints implode trying to chase the game. With Leeds we should see what Leeds has to offer in the first 10 mins so we need to go at them hard and fast in the first quarter.

I think a shock is on the cards at Les Catalans.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Id be disappointed to see Thompson start over Amor. He offers next to nothing. One of the worst imports signed in recent years.
    He's been a disappointment but he's been better since coming back from injury just before the cup final. Playing on his preferred side makes a difference.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    I don't, but it'd be funny.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Saints v Hull KR final.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

It all deponds if Maloney refs the game alongside Kendall. It will also be interesting how many stretchers come onto the pitch, when a Catalan player suffers from a hard tackle.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 30th September 2021 at 10:17.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Rovers will certainly give a good account of themselves. They will be match fit and bouncing after last weeks win.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Saints v Hull KR final.
    I don't expect that, but if that was it I would be more surprised than shocked.

In The South Stand

Would love it to be us vs Catalans in the Final. I don’t really care for the game’s inability to sell tickets for its showpiece event, that’s not our problem but I’ve enjoyed watching Catalans this year and they actually have a bit of a personality, which is good. They’re tough, they’re niggly but also explosive and entertaining, a final between the best two clubs should be a good game and after Magic, I’d like us to get some “revenge” for a four minute head explosion in what was a pretty good performance, barring that.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Got A Season Ticket

If I was in charge I'd have Welsby at Centre over Naqaima. Welsby has got to be on the pitch, but I also think Lomax is still one of if not our more important players still, especially in tight games.

Bench of:
    Naqaima (to cover all back positions), or to come on and Welsby to move to 13
    Lees (starting LMS)
    Paasi
    Thompson/ Amor

Quote Originally Posted by Ant84 View Post
    I really hope Dodd isn’t the one who loses out to make room for Lomax.

For some reason I’m a bit concerned he’ll go with Lomax at 6 with Welsby at 7.
    I would definitely go for Welsby before Dodd

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I think this is looking back too far to early season.

More recently he has improved his performances and I can't say amor would be ahead of him at the moment.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    I would definitely go for Welsby before Dodd
    Really? That's a surprise, you're always so glowing when it comes to Dodd.

I don’t think LT will play again this season . I know that some of his family are isolating for travel requirements which seems very premature. If we come though the semi injury free I suspect he will be off

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...al/?ref=twtrec

Interesting point in the article here:

MC: The same question as all year, where does Jack Welsby play?

KW: We have to keep some secrets – and everyone will see when they run out on Friday.

The thing I will say is we want all of those blokes on the field at the same time. If you look at our key players, the ones that are going to help in key moments of the game that go a long way in winning, it is James Roby, Jack Welsby, Lewis Dodd, Jonny Lomax, Lachlan Coote and Morgan Knowles.

They all play in key positions for a reason and we want them all on the field as much as possible and will figure out a way to make that happen. Those players will have a big impact on the result.
    I have been suggesting that the weak link in our backline could be Naiqama. However I think if you were going to do this switch you would want to do it for the final. Catalans seemed to target him on the right at the Magic Weekend, so switching in Welsby could be a clever move.

Maybe for this game we could bring on Welsby at 13 after 20 mins?

The other thing that sticks out in that article is how much Leeds are focused on stopping Walmsley. I suspect that Leeds will have a plan. The question is do we just play our game or do we start Walmsley on the bench and let him run at Leeds second string forwards.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Learning All The Songs

Leeds have said they have sold 2000 tickets there biggest away following in years

I have been suggesting that the weak link in our backline could be Naiqama. However I think if you were going to do this switch you would want to do it for the final. Catalans seemed to target him on the right at the Magic Weekend, so switching in Welsby could be a clever move.

The other thing that sticks out in that article is how much Leeds are focused on stopping Walmsley. I suspect that Leeds will have a plan. The question is do we just play our game or do we start Walmsley on the bench and let him run at Leeds second string forwards.

I think we,ve been here before with Naiqama but I seem to remember he steps up his game in knock out matches.

Very much agree to use Welsby in the 2nd quarter no harm in him playing between a half back and loose forward letting him decide to run at the line as a back or forward.

I just get this feeling Passi will be a handful so they are not going to get a breather when Walmsley goes off, if they try to put numbers on Walmsley then Roby and Dodd might see a longer pass to the edges.

Hopefully Naiqama will continue his habit of playing better in the bigger games then.

Cops some unfair stick. I think he's been a terrific player for us

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think we,ve been here before with Naiqama but I seem to remember he steps up his game in knock out matches.

Very much agree to use Welsby in the 2nd quarter no harm in him playing between a half back and loose forward letting him decide to run at the line as a back or forward.

I just get this feeling Passi will be a handful so they are not going to get a breather when Walmsley goes off, if they try to put numbers on Walmsley then Roby and Dodd might see a longer pass to the edges.
    Be telling Walmsley to run from slightly wider from the ruck too where possible

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    I don’t think LT will play again this season . I know that some of his family are isolating for travel requirements which seems very premature. If we come though the semi injury free I suspect he will be off
    There’s no way he leaves the club before the final whether he’s playing or not. We wouldn’t allow it and he wouldn’t do it.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Be telling Walmsley to run from slightly wider from the ruck too where possible
    Or use some twos plays / Tip-ons.