Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Amor new deal

Got A Season Ticket

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Shortage of good british props at the moment, we need to keep an eye on whats available in the championship.

Learning All The Songs

Can't say I'm overly excited that we're running with both LMS and Amor again next year. With Walmsley another year older (although admittedly with fewer years in SL on the mileage clock) hopefully Norman can step up next season otherwise the age of our pack might catch up with us later in the season.

Should be back to a full fixture list next season so there'll be more games for everyone to play.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Can't say I'm overly excited that we're running with both LMS and Amor again next year. With Walmsley another year older (although admittedly with fewer years in SL on the mileage clock) hopefully Norman can step up next season otherwise the age of our pack might catch up with us later in the season.

Should be back to a full fixture list next season so there'll be more games for everyone to play.
    And reserves

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I can’t imagine we’ve offered him much money. No harm in having back up props, as long as its at the right price.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

I would like to see Lees put on a few more kilos like Luke Thompson did in his second attempt at the first team. If Norman doesn't make a challenge next year I think he will be off loaded.

Got A Season Ticket

The mind boggles!!

Could be a reason why we are in for Hurrell, even though he won't play prop, he will obviously take some ball up in the middle and towards the edges at second row. I think for me, that signifies that there aren't many decent props available and Woolf realises that Engy needs some assistance and burden taken from him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Could be a reason why we are in for Hurrell, even though he won't play prop, he will obviously take some ball up in the middle and towards the edges at second row. I think for me, that signifies that there aren't many decent props available and Woolf realises that Engy needs some assistance and burden taken from him.
    I don't think Hurrell has that grunt in him.

What's the latest on Taukeiaho? He obviously won't be joining us for next season, and some journos are adamant he won't be coming to SL at all.

But Hull still being rumoured to be chasing him.

If they did get him, I'd be ••••ed off that we've passed up the chance and signed Hurrell and Bell (neither of whom fill me with excitement)

But perhaps we have Taukeiaho lined up for 2022... (to replace LMS and Amor)

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I don't think Hurrell has that grunt in him.

What's the latest on Taukeiaho? He obviously won't be joining us for next season, and some journos are adamant he won't be coming to SL at all.

But Hull still being rumoured to be chasing him.

If they did get him, I'd be ••••ed off that we've passed up the chance and signed Hurrell and Bell (neither of whom fill me with excitement)

But perhaps we have Taukeiaho lined up for 2022... (to replace LMS and Amor)
    We'd have to let one of the overseas boys go for that to happen. Catalans, Warrington, Leeds, Wigan and Hull are all confirmed to be looking at props for next season. Taukeiaho would never have a better chance to get good money over here. There is Taukeiaho to sort out and there's always the chance that Luke Thompson has a change of heart and decides to come back. I'd hate to see either of them playing for our rivals.

I mentioned on another thread that Taukeiaho's mrs is quite heavily pregnant, so I imagine that sort of upheaval so close to giving birth probably is far from ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    We'd have to let one of the overseas boys go for that to happen. Catalans, Warrington, Leeds, Wigan and Hull are all confirmed to be looking at props for next season. Taukeiaho would never have a better chance to get good money over here. There is Taukeiaho to sort out and there's always the chance that Luke Thompson has a change of heart and decides to come back. I'd hate to see either of them playing for our rivals.
    Warrington fans think they are going to get Luke Thompson.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Warrington fans think they are going to get Luke Thompson.
    Don't be surprised if he does come back at the end of his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    If he does it will be interesting if he follows the money or follows the better club to win silverware, we probably need Jammer to have a word in his year.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

But it's Warringtons year next year.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

I suspect at the start of this season the plan was probably to not have LMS and Amor play every game but instead come in and do a job, maybe alternating.

However given we have rarely if ever had a full strength pack both of them have played most games.

If I were in charge I would have been tempted to go with a bit of a project prop with Will Maher at HKR being a player that you feel could do a job as a squad player. However with us going into 2022 with a young 1 and 7 I can see why the club went for tried and tested and rewarded both players with new deals.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Coming home to Saints

Nailed on.

Shortage of good british props at the moment, we need to keep an eye on whats available in the championship.
    Hull KR picked up Tom Garratt from Dewsbury

Tom Garratt Highlights

Of the Betfred Championship Young Player of the Year nominees both look worthy of consideration.

Tyler Dupree (Oldham)
    Tyler Dupree Highlights

Ebon Scurr (Bradford Bulls)
    Ebon Scurr Highlights

So there are players about but if you keep rolling over the likes of Amor then you are never going to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Hull KR picked up Tom Garratt from Dewsbury

Tom Garratt Highlights

Of the Betfred Championship Young Player of the Year nominees both look worthy of consideration.

Tyler Dupree (Oldham)
    Tyler Dupree Highlights

Ebon Scurr (Bradford Bulls)
    Ebon Scurr Highlights

So there are players about but if you keep rolling over the likes of Amor then you are never going to know.
    We already have a project prop, Dan Norman

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    We already have a project prop, Dan Norman
    Is there a quota on project signings ?

Props in particular , you need a couple coming though.

Bit like Lees and Ashworth as the second string to Walmsley and Thompson.

One cemented a place , one didn't kick on. That's the way it goes.

If you keep LMS then keeping Amor just blocks a spot.
    At best you kick the can down the road for 12 months and have the same problem.

If Amor was 29/30 and still had a break or a big shot in him then its a different conversation.

If Amor was 29/30 and still had a break or a big shot in him then its a different conversation.
    The biggest problem is that Dan Norman hasn't improved enough to displace Amor, for me Amor is just about good enough for another season. Kicking the can would have to come to an end though in the 2023 season, Roby - LMS - Amor will no longer be in the squad.

No, there obviously isn't a quota, but there is a cost in terms of both time and money. If it was so easy to pick up the next Alex Walmesley then every team would be doing it wouldn't they ?
    Do you for one minute think that Saints Wigan, Leeds, etc aren't constantly on the lookout for the next pickup from the championship ? How many teams even have a project prop that they are working on to try to progress ? Failure rate must be very high & don't forget that you will have to persuade the player to pack in his job most likely to take the risk of making it at the top level. If you were employed earning say £25k & getting paid a bit to play part time, would you risk it ? Most will have commitments including a mortgage. How much do we even pay to project props ? Anyone have an idea ? It can't be much I would surmise.

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    No, there obviously isn't a quota, but there is a cost in terms of both time and money. If it was so easy to pick up the next Alex Walmesley then every team would be doing it wouldn't they ?
    Do you for one minute think that Saints Wigan, Leeds, etc aren't constantly on the lookout for the next pickup from the championship ? How many teams even have a project prop that they are working on to try to progress ? Failure rate must be very high & don't forget that you will have to persuade the player to pack in his job most likely to take the risk of making it at the top level. If you were employed earning say £25k & getting paid a bit to play part time, would you risk it ? Most will have commitments including a mortgage. How much do we even pay to project props ? Anyone have an idea ? It can't be much I would surmise.
    Its a good point. It's not easy.
    Easier to roll over an Amor for 12 months.

Props need adult game-time and experience , perhaps Reserves will start to bridge the gap, but will take time.

I suppose it depends on the profession regarding the risk regarding employment and taking a "Gap year or two".
    Average salary is 65K , so anywhere between 25K and 50K depending how much of a project the player is.

You are right there is an extra barrier.

It's also easier not to have an academy and just sign players ,
    championships projects are a form of development just like academies with the similar risks.

If you are heavily invested in one you should generally be receptive to the second.

Its a good point. It's not easy.
    Easier to roll over an Amor for 12 months.

Props need adult game-time and experience , perhaps Reserves will start to bridge the gap, but will take time.

I suppose it depends on the profession regarding the risk regarding employment and taking a "Gap year or two".
    Average salary is 65K , so anywhere between 25K and 50K depending how much of a project the player is.

You are right there is an extra barrier.

It's also easier not to have an academy and just sign players ,
    championships projects are a form of development just like academies with the similar risks.

If you are heavily invested in one you should generally be receptive to the second.
    I think this is one reason we are so invested in our youth system. We try & get the best prospects at a young age & then encourage & support them through their continued education while being in the academy. Sam Royle is another who has jusf finished his degree with our support. Matty Lees is a spark. Get them before commitments appear & help them progress. It's a good model.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

The biggest problem is that Dan Norman hasn't improved enough to displace Amor, for me Amor is just about good enough for another season. Kicking the can would have to come to an end though in the 2023 season, Roby - LMS - Amor will no longer be in the squad.
    As a 5th choice Amor is OK If Dan Norman does kick on or one of the young lads starts to shine then Amor would be a good experienced player to lead the reserves.