Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joey Lussick signed - Official

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I can see him being better in effectiveness than what Roby is now but won't be capable of reaching a Roby at his prime best. He should be in the superleague top 3 next season it all depends how many minutes he gets, I'm hoping we use 2 hookers in the game to great effect that we did all those years ago in the Cunningham era.
    When we decided we were going for a Hooker Woolf put it to the players to come up with who they wanted from those that were possible. It was pretty unanimous the the players wanted Lussick. I doubt he will ever be a Roby, but he is coming in with respect from the other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Top marks on the 'missing the point' scoreboard, cocker.

Wouldn't you agree we need more from a hooker than just scoring the odd barge-over from dummy half on the opposition line? Things like making breaks from DH in general play, backing-up breaks by other players, sharp passing to teammates, etc?
    Of course and there’s nothing to suggest that he doesn’t have those skills. He was very good for Salford and is at a really good age.

I think 2 mins of him passing from dummy half isn’t really the same as him scoring tries is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Top marks on the 'missing the point' scoreboard, cocker.

Wouldn't you agree we need more from a hooker than just scoring the odd barge-over from dummy half on the opposition line? Things like making breaks from DH in general play, backing-up breaks by other players, sharp passing to teammates, etc?
    He’s a very good hooker and has a lot more to his game than ‘the odd barge-over’ which you seem to be indicating. His distribution is very good, puts himself about in defence and can take on the defence.

Out of all the signings we have made ahead of next year he is the one I am most pleased about. With Cunningham and Roby the transition between hookers has been seemless and I believe Lussick will make it the same.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    None in my time.

One or two others but the main ones.

Liptrott.
    (Ainsworth - Loan)
    Harrison
    Groves (KitKat)
    Dwyer.
    Cunningham
    Higham
    Roby
    Interesting one was Gary Ainsworth, eight tries in twelve games for us, only came in as cover when Lippy was out with one of his many jaw brakes and Groves picked up a knee injury that kept him out for a few months, so was signed on loan.
    He could have been a player that prospered under a bigger club, many on the terraces thought he deserved a year contract.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Interesting one was Gary Ainsworth, eight tries in twelve games for us, only came in as cover when Lippy was out with one of his many jaw brakes and Groves picked up a knee injury that kept him out for a few months, so was signed on loan.
    He could have been a player that prospered under a bigger club, many on the terraces thought he deserved a year contract.
    He was before Groves surely? Ainsworth played in Big Mal's season, Groves didn't arrive until a couple of years later

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    He was before Groves surely? Ainsworth played in Big Mal's season, Groves didn't arrive until a couple of years later

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk
    That's how i remember it,what a loan spell Ainsworth had with us,scored 8 trys in 12 games,got to play with big Mal and picked up some silverware. Groves was around 1987 when he signed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    When we decided we were going for a Hooker Woolf put it to the players to come up with who they wanted from those that were possible. It was pretty unanimous the the players wanted Lussick. I doubt he will ever be a Roby, but he is coming in with respect from the other players.
    For me there was only Parcell and Lussick looked a good fit into the Saints team, too be honest I,m quite suprised we've got him. I summise in the 3 year deal he accepted to share the game position on "equal terms" then takes completely over in 2023/24.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 16th September 2021 at 12:16.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    He’s a very good hooker and has a lot more to his game than ‘the odd barge-over’ which you seem to be indicating. His distribution is very good, puts himself about in defence and can take on the defence.

Great! I really, genuinely hope he proves a fantastic signing. My original post was saying much the same - but I also mentioned that the highlights reel I'd seen only showed him scoring close-range, barge-over tries. I don't remember him standing out for Salford, and only intermittently follow the NRL, so have little knowledge about him.

For me there was only Parcell and Lussick looked a good fit into the Saints team, too be honest I,m quite suprised we've got him. I summise in the 3 year deal he accepted to share the game position on "equal terms" then takes completely over in 2023/24.
    I don't know how many names were put forward, but the vote for Lussick was unanimous. Players that had played against him said that he had always caused them problems.

Banned

too be honest I,m quite suprised we've got him.

We must be the most attractive overall proposition for any player - the current best team/squad, a proven winning mentality, a conveyor of top young talent being fed through, very strong chance of finals/silverware, a great stadium that we own, consistently one of the biggest fanbases, a very good coach, very settled squad, a few positions where we have the best players in the competition, good payers. A certain team might throw money at high-profile players and have a self-aggrandised 'better performance culture' (snigger), but given the choice for most players, Saints would be the choice I reckon.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Great! I really, genuinely hope he proves a fantastic signing. My original post was saying much the same - but I also mentioned that the highlights reel I'd seen only showed him scoring close-range, barge-over tries. I don't remember him standing out for Salford, and only intermittently follow the NRL, so have little knowledge about him.
    I think that is an issue with highlight reals on you tube. They always seem to focus on either tries or big hits.

Half breaks, solid defense and good distribution tend not to make the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    I think that is an issue with highlight reals on you tube. They always seem to focus on either tries or big hits.

Half breaks, solid defense and good distribution tend not to make the cut.
    I,ve just looked at his stats over the 2 seasons in Superleague he's not a scooter like Clark, Parcell and Dwyer his game attributes seem to be very similar to McShane. As we know he is excellent a couple of metres out from the try line but he did have a good try assist rate and puts in plenty of tackles. Maybe Roby can improve his game around the ruck area

We must be the most attractive overall proposition for any player - the current best team/squad, a proven winning mentality, a conveyor of top young talent being fed through, very strong chance of finals/silverware, a great stadium that we own, consistently one of the biggest fanbases, a very good coach, very settled squad, a few positions where we have the best players in the competition, good payers. A certain team might throw money at high-profile players and have a self-aggrandised 'better performance culture' (snigger), but given the choice for most players, Saints would be the choice I reckon.
    Ever thought of a job in sales/marketing?

Banned

Ever thought of a job in sales/marketing?
    We're just f***ing ace!!

We're just f***ing ace!!

And we've been like that for 25 years, whilst challengers like Bradford, Leeds, Wigan and Warrington have fell by the wayside for long periods of that time span. Ben Barba had seen the attraction and signed up, be it for the short term.

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

And we've been like that for 25 years, whilst challengers like Bradford, Leeds, Wigan and Warrington have fell by the wayside for long periods of that time span. Ben Barba had seen the attraction and signed up, be it for the short term.
    In the SL era we must be way ahead of any other team for finishing top of the table, but even more so if we extend it to finishing in the top two. Do any of our resident statos have the comparative figures?

I remember someone posting an all time SL league table a couple of years ago and we were top then, must be miles ahead now.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Top signing this. Great work AGAIN from the club.
    There’s a lot of fans on social media in Oz really surprised that he’s come back to SL saying that there particular club should have picked him up saying things like he’s a good solid player etc , I think the club have done really well to have signed him

Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    There’s a lot of fans on social media in Oz really surprised that he’s come back to SL saying that there particular club should have picked him up saying things like he’s a good solid player etc , I think the club have done really well to have signed him
    Although it wasn't announced, we actually signed him a long time ago. Before Paramatta's first choice hooker was injured.

I remember someone posting an all time SL league table a couple of years ago and we were top then, must be miles ahead now.
    We around 50 points better than Wigan and 120 points better than Leeds, can't really consider Warrington it would probably take the end of the century to get a top spot.

Banned

We around 50 points better than Wigan and 120 points better than Leeds, can't really consider Warrington it would probably take the end of the century to get a top spot.
    The SL all-time table to the end of 2020 is on Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_League

1 Saints - 953
    2 Wi*an - 904
    3 Leeds - 829
    4 Wire - 709

Bizarrely - and bloody annoyingly - Leeds have as many SL titles as us. We really blew it in those 2007/8/9 Grand Finals.

I'm always surprised that Leeds were always considered an RL powerhouse, yet between 1895 and 2003, they only won 3 league titles - and none until 1960.

It p*sses me off that the media - led by Sky - always talk about Leeds (and before them Bratfud) being the success stories of SL, with us - the most successful club in this era - often relegated to an afterthought. There was some shite on Sky the other week looking back at SL. Admittedly it was made 2/3 years ago, but they were persistently up Leeds' arses. We got mentioned for winning the first SL title, then a big feature on the scum winning the first GF, and then they skipped to our win against Bratfud but focused on the Joynt 'voluntary tackle' that never was (even had that prick Deacon still bleating about it), then went into a jizzfest over Leeds crawping that run of titles.

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

The SL all-time table to the end of 2020 is on Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_League

1 Saints - 953
    2 Wi*an - 904
    3 Leeds - 829
    4 Wire - 709

Bizarrely - and bloody annoyingly - Leeds have as many SL titles as us. We really blew it in those 2007/8/9 Grand Finals.

I'm always surprised that Leeds were always considered an RL powerhouse, yet between 1895 and 2003, they only won 3 league titles - and none until 1960.

It p*sses me off that the media - led by Sky - always talk about Leeds (and before them Bratfud) being the success stories of SL, with us - the most successful club in this era - often relegated to an afterthought. There was some shite on Sky the other week looking back at SL. Admittedly it was made 2/3 years ago, but they were persistently up Leeds' arses. We got mentioned for winning the first SL title, then a big feature on the scum winning the first GF, and then they skipped to our win against Bratfud but focused on the Joynt 'voluntary tackle' that never was (even had that prick Deacon still bleating about it), then went into a jizzfest over Leeds crawping that run of titles.
    Thanks. I've seen that, but I was thinking that finishing in the top two (which we must have done far and away more often than anyone else) is probably a better guide to consistent excellence than a table where a few exceptionally good seasons can balance out a few dreadful ones. (But maybe working out a league table on that basis is just a bit too tedious for anyone to attempt!)

Quote Originally Posted by DewiSant View Post
    Thanks. I've seen that, but I was thinking that finishing in the top two (which we must have done far and away more often than anyone else) is probably a better guide to consistent excellence than a table where a few exceptionally good seasons can balance out a few dreadful ones. (But maybe working out a league table on that basis is just a bit too tedious for anyone to attempt!)
    We’ve been top 2 for a total of 15 occasions nearest challenger the Wigoons on 13 occasions, others like Bradford, Leeds and Warrington insignificant.

Also been in every play off in the history of superleague, Wigoons and Leeds have failed on 3 occasions, others insignificant.

Banned

We’ve been top 2 for a total of 15 occasions nearest challenger the Wigoons on 13 occasions, others like Bradford, Leeds and Warrington insignificant.

Also been in every play off in the history of superleague, Wigoons and Leeds have failed on 3 occasions, others insignificant.

Didn't we also qualify for every Premiership play-off pre-SL?

Didn't we also qualify for every Premiership play-off pre-SL?
    Most probably, I know we played in more Premiership Finals than any other club, our main challengers were Widnes. Then money bags the Goons bought most of the best players after being in the 2nd division.

Sadly we had a period in that comp of being badged up as bridesmaid never the bride.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 17th September 2021 at 18:49.