Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lomax Welsby Dodd

Got A Season Ticket

Welsby could operate as a creative 13 when we have the ball and defend as a second row (preferably on the same side as Lomax). The roles would be reversed for Knowles (who would no doubt still be able to take a lot of up the middle carries early in sets).

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    It’s comedy stuff reading people on here talking about Lomax not getting back into the team or Lomax to the bench. When Dodd or Welsby have a shocker and at some point they will, will the same people be saying Woolf clueless, player not ready etc. etc. Lomax is straight back in the team at a sniff of being fit enough to play. We accommodate Welsby somewhere in the 17 and Dodd starts at scrum half. Anything else is ludicrous nonsense.
    Sorry, Jonny. It's nothing personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Welsby/Lomax start? Dodd on the bench? Bring him on after 25 when the sting has gone out of what will be a very intense play off semi?
    I prefer Blobby's take on this.

However I think Ralph's view is what will happen.

Learning All The Songs

The stats offer an interesting argument too -

Lomax - 1 try and 14 assists.
    Welsby - 13 tries and 13 assists.

Got A Season Ticket NewJerseySaint's Avatar

Welsby is the best 6 at the club.

He has no weaknesses in his game and regularly unpicks defences with his heads up style of play and flexibility to respond to what's in front of him.

Johnny is regularly marked out of the game from an attacking perspective because he only has two attacking plays; a miss out pass to the winger, which fails more often than it works out, and he steps inside off his right foot when he runs the ball, invariably into the 2 defenders waiting for him. His kicking game is average at best. He does give 100% every game and his defence is excellent.

It's not Welsby's fault that he is a better 6 than a club legend. On the basis of the fluidity of saints attack when welsby plays in that position, and the stop start frustrating style when Johnny plays there, it's a no brainer for me. Jack Welsby starts at 6.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseySaint View Post
    Welsby is the best 6 at the club.

He has no weaknesses in his game and regularly unpicks defences with his heads up style of play and flexibility to respond to what's in front of him.

Johnny is regularly marked out of the game from an attacking perspective because he only has two attacking plays; a miss out pass to the winger, which fails more often than it works out, and he steps inside off his right foot when he runs the ball, invariably into the 2 defenders waiting for him. His kicking game is average at best. He does give 100% every game and his defence is excellent.

It's not Welsby's fault that he is a better 6 than a club legend. On the basis of the fluidity of saints attack when welsby plays in that position, and the stop start frustrating style when Johnny plays there, it's a no brainer for me. Jack Welsby starts at 6.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    Correct! I must agree. As good a player as Jonny is at the moment Welsby is the better 6. Jonny best he can hope for is spot on the bench for the semi final if fit. Just hope we get one of Bentley or Matautia back for that game.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Its a tough one and a decision I wouldn’t want on my shoulders. Important Woolf gets it right. Lomax is a senior player and deserves a chance to get his shirt back, but Welsby has been impressive at 6 and works well with Dodd. The decision could influence the team too. You would imagine a lot of the senior players have some loyalty to Lomax and could disapprove of him being dropped.
    It doesn’t help that we’re coming to the crunch games. This situation would have been easier to manage a month or two back. We could have given Lomax a game or two to impress, then dropped him in favour of Welsby if he didn’t perform. We don’t have that time now. We need to get it right.
    One luxury is the fact that Welsby seems to perform well from any position. We could start the semi with Knowles at prop and Welsby at loose. If Lomax struggles bring him off and switch Welsby back to 6. Then again, do we really want to be moving players around in a semi final???
    Tough one
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Over Lomax?
    Wire are our likely opponents, and with Lomax/Fages they have undone us over the last couple of seasons. We played Dodd and Welsby the other week and ruined them…..
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by F4RSH View Post
    Correct! I must agree. As good a player as Jonny is at the moment Welsby is the better 6. Jonny best he can hope for is spot on the bench for the semi final if fit. Just hope we get one of Bentley or Matautia back for that game.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Bentley needs to play, and ruffle some feathers!

Starting A Programme Collection NortonSaint's Avatar

My only concern with this young pairing is, can they manage and see a game out when the opposition get on a bit of a roll. We can't play at a 100mph for 80 minutes.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Bentley needs to play, and ruffle some feathers!
    Could be wrong but judging by what Woolf has said about Bentley's injury, I think we've sadly seen the last of him in a Saints shirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

Welsby has to be on the field for 80 mins wherever he is played.

Lomax on the bench instead of smith maybe. And thats not a pop at Smith. I think hea really deserves more gametime but you cant leave Lomax out.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Could be wrong but judging by what Woolf has said about Bentley's injury, I think we've sadly seen the last of him in a Saints shirt.
    Maybe. I’m hoping that his injury has been overstated as a misinformation ploy…

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Maybe. I’m hoping that his injury has been overstated as a misinformation ploy…
    I think Woolf also rates Wingfield very highly, if he gets more game time he could be battle ready for a Grand Final appearance instead of Bentley. That would be a great advert for developing the young ones from the Academy in Dodd, Welsby and Wingfield in a Grand Final.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think Woolf also rates Wingfield very highly, if he gets more game time he could be battle ready for a Grand Final appearance instead of Bentley
    He needs a bit more time to learn Bentleys shithousery

:-)

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Sorry, Jonny. It's nothing personal.
    I’m sure it isn’t but I genuinely think your blinkered if you believe GB and England’s starting 6 shouldn’t/wouldn’t get back in our team over Welsby and Dodd. Both of whom have been excellent I’ll add in the last few games.

It’s a great position to be in as our coach and possible the worst at the same time.
    If he continues with Dodd and Welsby and we win the grand final it’s all tea and medals.
    If he continues with Dodd and Welsby and we don’t, he’s a fool for not bringing the experienced international half back, back into the starting lineup.
    If he brings Lomax straight back in and we lose (irrespective of him being at fault, for example our pack get mauled by the opposition) Woolf is a fool, clueless, needs to go etc.
    If he brings Lomax straight back in and we win the grand final you will get murmurs of we could have done that with Dodd and Welsby.

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Lomax at six Welsby to replace Naquama
    I have said this too.

However, I think we first need to get everyone fit and playing first before we start worrying about how to get everyone in the team.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

It’s comedy stuff reading people on here talking about Lomax not getting back into the team or Lomax to the bench. When Dodd or Welsby have a shocker and at some point they will, will the same people be saying Woolf clueless, player not ready etc. etc. Lomax is straight back in the team at a sniff of being fit enough to play. We accommodate Welsby somewhere in the 17 and Dodd starts at scrum half. Anything else is ludicrous nonsense.
    I agree with what you are saying.

I was having this conversation with a mate who is a Bradford fan. I said that the second Dodd has a couple of bad games there with be a group of our fanbase that just turns on him. "He isn't good enough", "We need to drop him", "He is worse than Richardson". Toxic Saints fans are if nothing else predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I agree with what you are saying.

I was having this conversation with a mate who is a Bradford fan. I said that the second Dodd has a couple of bad games there with be a group of our fanbase that just turns on him. "He isn't good enough", "We need to drop him", "He is worse than Richardson". Toxic Saints fans are if nothing else predictable.
    Very true there were a couple of posters on here did the same when Welsby had less than a dozen games suggesting him going into the championshiop or going to Leigh. He dropped a few difficult high bombs and that was it, written off very quickly written by a chosen few and ctriticised Woolf for picking him as though he was some sort of blue eyed boy.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Very true there were a couple of posters on here did the same when Welsby had less than a dozen games suggesting him going into the championshiop or going to Leigh. He dropped a few difficult high bombs and that was it, written off very quickly written by a chosen few and ctriticised Woolf for picking him as though he was some sort of blue eyed boy.
    Indeed, Welsby drops some high balls and we get "he's not a fullback" posts for the next year.

Dodd is still a young lad and he is going to have a stinker at some point. For now we, the fans, can reduce the pressure on him by not jumping on his back at the drop of a hat. While the club can do the same, going back to the OP, by playing experienced players like Lomax next to him to take as much responsibility off him as possible.

Got A Season Ticket

Interesting debate - but does anyone know what the chances of Jonny being fit are?

In The South Stand

Having seen Welsby at Stand Off and Fullback in the Academy i wouldnt have been bothered which pisition he played but the coach has said Welsby will be Fullback next season .

Starting A Programme Collection

Tough call for the coach who to play into the play offs if all are fit. There's a case to be made for a few combinations.
    The decision might be taken out of Woolf's hands with injuries / fitness - but if not he'll have to make the call.

For next season I'd take a look at Lomax to full back and keeping Welsby and Dodd in the halves.
    Coote's been a major factor in our success the last seasons and will be missed - bringing Lomax's experience and defensive qualities into full back might be a good solution to try out - whilst from full back, some of Lomax's attacking qualities can be used well too.

For this season - lets see how it plays out. It will be hard for anyone to miss out, but that could be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Tough call for the coach who to play into the play offs if all are fit. There's a case to be made for a few combinations.
    The decision might be taken out of Woolf's hands with injuries / fitness - but if not he'll have to make the call.

For next season I'd take a look at Lomax to full back and keeping Welsby and Dodd in the halves.
    Coote's been a major factor in our success the last seasons and will be missed - bringing Lomax's experience and defensive qualities into full back might be a good solution to try out - whilst from full back, some of Lomax's attacking qualities can be used well too.

For this season - lets see how it plays out. It will be hard for anyone to miss out, but that could be the case.
    When attacking I should imagine Welsby although having the No 1 on the back of his shirt will have a "free to roam license" and will be an extra half back especially on the second phase stuff. I don't think Lomax will have the legs to play full back for 80mins. The most important thing is to get Dodd + Welsby on longer term contracts, fast forward 3 years we could have Dodd + Welby at their best in the half backs with Danny Hill our new full back.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Interesting debate - but does anyone know what the chances of Jonny being fit are?

Back for the semi isn't he?

Shame for Bentley. 2 bad injuries in his last season at the club