Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lomax Welsby Dodd

Got A Season Ticket

Default Lomax Welsby Dodd

Interested to see what Woolf will go with in the halves for the semi final.

I love Lomax but think there’s a real argument that you stick with Welsby and Dodd after the past 3 games.

Welsby opens the pitch up to the right hand side and Dodd’s short kicking game is brilliant. Both things Lomax doesn’t do. Lomax does have the experience though and has been there and done it twice.

Add in we are most likely playing the Wolves who have been able to handle our Lomax-centred attack pretty successfully in knock out games in 2018, 2019 and 2020 and it makes the temptation to stick with these two even more.

One of the three is missing out on a starting position most likely. Thoughts?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starman View Post
    Interested to see what Woolf will go with in the halves for the semi final.

I love Lomax but think there’s a real argument that you stick with Welsby and Dodd after the past 3 games.

Welsby opens the pitch up to the right hand side and Dodd’s short kicking game is brilliant. Both things Lomax doesn’t do. Lomax does have the experience though and has been there and done it twice.

Add in we are most likely playing the Wolves who have been able to handle our Lomax-centred attack pretty successfully in knock out games in 2018, 2019 and 2020 and it makes the temptation to stick with these two even more.

One of the three is missing out on a starting position most likely. Thoughts?
    Lomax will have to go for a bench spot, Welsby has a lot more attacking options and has a better understanding with Dodd. Lomax has more experience if we get to a Grand Final, but Welsby does not lose composure under pressure, in fact he thrives upon it.

Welsby must be one of the most difficult players to play against, he runs into and across the defence line with the ball in both hands, the opposition don't know if he is going to drop the ball on his foot, step inside, double pump, or send out a cut out pass or bust the line..................complete nightmare.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Lomax will have to go for a bench spot, Welsby has a lot more attacking options and has a better understanding with Dodd. Lomax has more experience if we get to a Grand Final, but Welsby does not lose composure under pressure, in fact he thrives upon it.
    Huge call whatever Woolf decides. I suspect Jack will be on the bench to wreak havoc as & when required. He does deserve his starting spot though . Jack at loose maybe ?

Learning All The Songs

If Jack's at loose, where is Morgan?

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    You are no help at all

That's why I stopped typing

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Lomax to the bench. Coote, Welsby and Dodd are playing well together, our attack is clicking, Woolf would be crazy to change it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

Personally, my first choice half pairing going forward would be Welsby and Dodd. Lomax moves to bench as utility player. It won't happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Personally, my first choice half pairing going forward would be Welsby and Dodd. Lomax moves to bench as utility player. It won't happen though.
    The Welsby + Dodd combination might have a few poor games but its looking very much few and far between, the selection dilemma could help with the longevity of Lomax. The thing is Welsby is really an 80 min player and is just wasted on the bench, what might work is Welsby to start at 6 and then introduce Lomax in the 2nd half with Welsby going to 13 but still complementing the half backs.

What also is impressing me is the way Dodd is bossing the more experienced players and his short kicking game into space is giving Coote, Matautia and Batchelor opportunities. Dodd isolated the full back on 3 occasions last night by sending him to the wrong side, we scored one try, missed a try and got a drop out from them.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    It’s comedy stuff reading people on here talking about Lomax not getting back into the team or Lomax to the bench. When Dodd or Welsby have a shocker and at some point they will, will the same people be saying Woolf clueless, player not ready etc. etc. Lomax is straight back in the team at a sniff of being fit enough to play. We accommodate Welsby somewhere in the 17 and Dodd starts at scrum half. Anything else is ludicrous nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    It’s comedy stuff reading people on here talking about Lomax not getting back into the team or Lomax to the bench. When Dodd or Welsby have a shocker and at some point they will, will the same people be saying Woolf clueless, player not ready etc. etc. Lomax is straight back in the team at a sniff of being fit enough to play. We accommodate Welsby somewhere in the 17 and Dodd starts at scrum half. Anything else is ludicrous nonsense.
    We will soon be coming to the crossroads on who will be the better all round stand off Lomax or Welsby, its a great position for the club to be in. Win win situation from that perspective.

Lomax has carried this team for the past 2 or 3 seasons now and we've got new kids on the block to help him out.

Lomax at six Welsby to replace Naquama

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Lomax at six Welsby to replace Naquama
    Welsby is wasted at Centre.

Welsby is showing his class at 6. He's giving the three quarters early ball and Percival and especially Naiqama are feeling the benefits of it. Dropping our most in form attacking player to the bench or another spot would be a terrible decision for me. He's earned the shirt and we look better for it.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

Welsby is showing his class at 6. He's giving the three quarters early ball and Percival and especially Naiqama are feeling the benefits of it. Dropping our most in form attacking player to the bench or another spot would be a terrible decision for me. He's earned the shirt and we look better for it.
    Over Lomax?

Personally right now, yes. Lomax won't have played for over a month, will be underdone for the Play Off game and our combinations between Coote, Dodd and Welsby is working great. Some of the tries we scored against Wire, Catalans and last night were fantastic and we're largely down to to the work Welsby did.

It's a tough choice for the coach but I'd have Lomax on the bench and introduce him into the game later on. That may be harsh on Lomax, but Welsby has to start, he's one of the in form players in the comp and is doing it at Stand Off.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

If would be a massive call by Woolf to not bring Jonny back in to the starting 13

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    If would be a massive call by Woolf to not bring Jonny back in to the starting 13
    I,m thinking the other way around, I wonder if Lomax is available next week if not then a bench spot for the semi's, won't be match fit and our current 3 pivots are playind different and more effective at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I,m thinking the other way around, I wonder if Lomax is available next week if not then a bench spot for the semi's, won't be match fit and our current 3 pivots are playind different and more effective at the moment.
    Fascinating isn't it ? And what a great problem to have

Got A Replica Shirt

Tough call for Woolf.

At the moment I don’t think you can break up the Welsby-Dodd partnership. We all know what Jonny brings to the table, but I don’t think anyone could deny that our attack is looking better now than it has done for a very long time.

Welsby/Lomax start? Dodd on the bench? Bring him on after 25 when the sting has gone out of what will be a very intense play off semi?

I don't think it would bother Welsby so much if he came off the bench, Lomax might not be as comfortable with it. As long as Dodd-Welsby-Lomax are in the 17 we are in a good position.

In The South Stand

My thoughts exactly.

Personally, I think Lomax will be back in the starting line up unless he isn’t fit or won’t be match fit in time. Welsby is extraordinarily effective from the bench. What a dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Welsby/Lomax start? Dodd on the bench? Bring him on after 25 when the sting has gone out of what will be a very intense play off semi?
    Ralph, stop it now !!! We have enough options without you thinking up more

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Personally, I think Lomax will be back in the starting line up unless he isn’t fit or won’t be match fit in time. Welsby is extraordinarily effective from the bench. What a dilemma.
    Agree with both you & Stiddy, it's the obvious solution.

Got A Season Ticket

I love Lomax but I also think in the background there’s a little conversation about his form this year. Welsby has made a fool of people who blamed Woolf for his poorer form in comparison to his ridiculously good 2019.

For context - try involvements (tries and assists)
    2019 - 38
    2020 - 21
    2021 - 15 (on par with Harry Smith and behind the likes of Lolohea and Miller)

There’s undoubtedly a place in the 17 for him but the pace injection in the halves these past couple of weeks has been a breath of fresh air.
    Last edited by Starman; 11th September 2021 at 15:17.

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    Having his usual 20 mins well earned rest