Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RU World 12’s

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I'll say what I always say when this comes up: who would that benefit? I don't think many Saints fans would be interested in watching their team play 12-a-side Union-lite, and RU seems to be getting on okay without us.
    Fair question.

If it's a case of top flight RL withering on the vine unless it joins an elite league like this it would benefit us. It would benefit union since it would actually move out of the M4 corridor and appeal to a broader base eg Wigan v London Wasps, Warrington v Leicester, Leeds v Bath and St Helens v Exeter Chiefs would be marketable.

I would rather watch top flight rugby league but for that we need funding and TV appeal which seems to be reducing to a slow strangulation and eventual demise in the not too distant future. I hope not obviously, but it's not looking good at the moment and Rugby 12 could be a very fast attractive game with very broad international appeal. RL this season has been mainly turgid and Sky just paid for it with a much reduced figure.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Forber View Post
    To those (many on this site) who feel that winning trophies is the be-all and end-all of their involvement in RL and that the quality of the product comes a distant second, watch this space.
    Frankly, apart from the odd game, the current product is abysmal and is not competing with other sports in the modern era. Outdated ideas of RL being the greatest game are laughable.
    This concept of 12-a-side could yet be another big nail in the coffin of RL. To the doubters that it will not take off, we should remember that money talks and that players will always find a way to gravitate to bigger financial rewards.
    Now if the leaders of this new concept were brave enough to dispense with scrums and therefore get rid of the ponderous forwards who are a blight on the 15-a-side code, heaven help RL.
    In current conditions any young ambitious player in RL should be trying to find a spot in RU (those good enough are a diminishing breed) or go to the NRL (totally superior to our game in every way and therefore a much more difficult move to make).
    RL will have to change radically and quickly or undergo a long, slow death.
    In my original post above, my suggestion that the new 12 a side might drop scrums was tongue in cheek.If based on RU principles and run by RU administrators, no way will scrums be dropped.
    The points I was really making were:
    1. The dire and distressing state of current RL.
    2. A new format of12 a side that would be based upon RL principles could be a terrific spectacle if run by the right people in a professional way. Unfortunately, our current concept of RL is not being run by quality people - hence the current standard.
    In terms of the rules and regs of the 2 codes, RL should and has been the better product, but not the case now.
    Heartbreaking really.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I know this is turning into another state of the game thread, but I wonder what the tipping point would be to go back to Terrestrial, would/could we be willing to lose another ten or 15 million across the board, in return for regular matches on the BBC or another terrestrial channel?

If this or any other sport get squirrelled away on Sky, you won't get any interest generated