Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curtis Sironen - CONFIRMED

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by stooby doo View Post
    If he's anything like his old man he'll do for me, always rated Paul Sironen. Wonder if he'll have a "word" with Barrie McDermott on his behalf after the shocking elbow he stuck on him years ago.
    Oh I do hope so, but it wasn’t just one elbow.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Does that mean we aren't after Taukeiaho?

I hope not, was really hoping to see him in the redvee
    Afraid not. Just rumours.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Makes the Hurrell rumours even more nonsensical.

With Sironen, we'll have him, Mata'utia and Batchelor as second rowers, plus Wingfield and Foster (both of whom look like talents).

In the centres, we have Percival & Hopoate, plus Simm.

We just don't need Hurrell, who would be an unnecessary luxury signing which, in a salary-capped sport, is ludicrous.

To add, if Amor is going, then we need another prop, because I don't think anyone rates Norman enough. And we would have no cover at halfback.
    Why is signing a risk/ luxury signing ridiculous? We should still have plenty of space for a prop and between Hopoate, Lussick and Sironen we have plenty of halfback cover? Either he gets fit and is a game changer (which we need) or doesn’t play - that’s surely better than depending on Hurrell, or struggling for options.

It does make the Bell rumours completely superfluous

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Why is signing a risk/ luxury signing ridiculous? We should still have plenty of space for a prop and between Hopoate, Lussick and Sironen we have plenty of halfback cover? Either he gets fit and is a game changer (which we need) or doesn’t play - that’s surely better than depending on Hurrell, or struggling for options.

It does make the Bell rumours completely superfluous

Why would we need him? I'd rather we put his salary - which, even though not a marquee, would still be substantial - to getting a top prop like Taukeiaho.

And none of those 'cover at halfback' options are halfbacks (although I suppose Hopoate to FB, Welsby to halfback works)

To be honest I think Hurrell is sh*te. Fat and unfit, blowing out his arse after a couple of carries, poor in defence.

Another versatile player.

Started his career as a stand off so he could always go back there in the event of injuries. But his day job will be a skillful backrower that can run and pass.

I am happy with this signing.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The West Stand

Why would we need him? I'd rather we put his salary - which, even though not a marquee, would still be substantial - to getting a top prop like Taukeiaho.

And none of those 'cover at halfback' options are halfbacks (although I suppose Hopoate to FB, Welsby to halfback works)

To be honest I think Hurrell is sh*te. Fat and unfit, blowing out his arse after a couple of carries, poor in defence.
    So;

a) I see no reason why we couldn’t sign Taukeiaho, Sironen and Hurrell. You will have absolutely no disagreement from me that we need another top line prop, and would be disappointed if we finish our recruitment planning to just go with LMS/Norman (who would be great as 5th/6th but not as 4th/5th).

b) I know he’s had a poor year, so it’s easy to forget, but Hurrell has made back to back dream teams. He is very capable at being a magnet for defenders and creating space outside him - he made Ash Handley look good! That is something we desperately lack and IF (big if) he can get fit enough to fit into our defensive structure thats a major asset we haven’t had since Taia.

c) Hopoate to fullback, Welsby to halfback will be choice 1, but Lussick has played a lot of time in the past at halfback as well, as has Sironen. The alternate is signing someone of the ilk of Jordan Lilley as backup and that just never feels like a good answer (the route the club took during the Cunningham era).

But Hurrell costs us very little and is a useful squad back up

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by stooby doo View Post
    If he's anything like his old man he'll do for me, always rated Paul Sironen. Wonder if he'll have a "word" with Barrie McDermott on his behalf after the shocking elbow he stuck on him years ago.
    Kevin Ward had a run in with him and AN Other when he went over to Manley for the Grand Final, in his book he says Sironen and another hit him on his first carry and gave him a working over on the floor with a welcome to Aus message Wardy got up laughed and asked if that was their best shot and had a blinder.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Kevin Ward had a run in with him and AN Other when he went over to Manley for the Grand Final, in his book he says Sironen and another hit him on his first carry and gave him a working over on the floor with a welcome to Aus message Wardy got up laughed and asked if that was their best shot and had a blinder.
    Ward was hard as nails. I had my doubts when we signed him but he was seriously good. Got his GB place back after some outstanding performances all back in the day when props played 80 minutes.

Default Curtis Sironen - CONFIRMED

We are not signing Taukeiaho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Conspiracy theory time
    Weren’t there rumours earlier in the season that Lomax was switching to Union. Perhaps Woolf doesn’t rate him and wants rid in favour of,
    Welsby at 6, Hopoate at 1 and Hurrel at centre.
    Last edited by fishy3005; 3rd September 2021 at 06:45.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

Damn.

You're normally right on these things.

If correct, a huge gamble on Norman? Or Amor to go round again?

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

Shame that.

I think if we got a good prop in, it would make us formidable

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post

Started his career as a stand off so he could always go back there in the event of injuries. But his day job will be a skillful backrower that can run and pass.

He must be the biggest ever stand off

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Shame that.

I think if we got a good prop in, it would make us formidable
    Got to agree Ralph another prop would bring season tickets flooding in????????????

Learning All The Songs

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post

You might be happy now but wait until Rogues tells us about the one from Wigan's academy that is better, bigger and more mobile.

I think we are really looking good for next season.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post

Rumours of signing Hurrell won't go away... Would be a bit of a damper on an otherwise good recruitment drive

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Rumours of signing Hurrell won't go away... Would be a bit of a damper on an otherwise good recruitment drive
    If we signed him as 18th/19th man, back up for Percival and Hopoate, also provides cover if the back line needs shifting around. Eg. Lomax gets injured, Hopoate or Welsby to 6, the other at 1 and Hurrell at centre. I wouldn’t have a problem with this. I don’t get the talk of him being at second row when we have Matautia, Sironen, Batchelor, Wingfield and apparently James Bell.

I’ve never been convinced Simm has the ability for the top, he looks like a Matty Fleming kind of player. That said reserves are back plus he has the option of going out on loan so he will still get game time if we did go for Hurrell.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Looking on Manly’s Facebook and insta pages the fans are sad to see Sironen go. Looks like they really rate him, he’s just been unlucky with injuries.

Hopefully he can have a good pre season and stay injury free.

Fastest I've seen him move was when he chased mossop the other week. And we all know what happened then.

Still, if we can get him fit, he could be a handful

You might be happy now but wait until Rogues tells us about the one from Wigan's academy that is better, bigger and more mobile.

2 best players they've got are off to Wests.

Mind you, Gildart will probably be back over here by mid June

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I have heard that it depends on his acceptence of a squad player salary.

I have heard that it depends on his acceptence of a squad player salary.
    He had definitely agreed to join us before Leeds came up with a much reduced offer.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    He had definitely agreed to join us before Leeds came up with a much reduced offer.
    Much reduced than his marquee salary at Leeds yes but certainly not coming for small change