Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891525 ... LastLast

Thread: Wigan

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Saints fans paranoid about Wigan, the most successful team in the history of Rugby League, Who'd have thought it? Probably the majority of Rugby League fans and certainly every Wigan fan. Long may it continue.
    Yes they were in the history of Rugby League. Unfortunately we are now in Super league. Not quite as successful now are they. Tally up your Cup Final, Grand Final wins since we entered that era, oh and your brilliant escape from relegation.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    BBC calling the O'Loughlin/Briers combo the attacking 'brains trust'

With O'Loughlin, shouldn't that be 'attacking brains' trust?
    I hear O'Loughlin was shocked to discover he had one...

Learning All The Songs

Saints fans paranoid about Wigan, the most successful team in the history of Rugby League, Who'd have thought it? Probably the majority of Rugby League fans and certainly every Wigan fan. Long may it continue.
    Wigan's dominance was reflective of being the only full time professional team of that time

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Wigan's dominance was reflective of being the only full time professional team of that time

Their silverware during that era should come with a '*'

(like Man City's since they became a sportwashing vehicle for a scummy, human rights-abusing dictatorship )

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    Yes they were in the history of Rugby League. Unfortunately we are now in Super league. Not quite as successful now are they. Tally up your Cup Final, Grand Final wins since we entered that era, oh and your brilliant escape from relegation.

Let’s not forget that Wigan have indeed been relegated once.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Not according to Rogues. I'm sure he will be on to tell you which two had part time jobs.

Got A Season Ticket The Meister's Avatar

Serious question to Rogues - what do the Wigan fans generally think about their new coaching set up?

My Wigan mates wanted a new coach with no previous associations to the current playing staff - bit like when Michael Maguire took over & changed the culture at the club.
    “With great power comes great responsibility”

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    Let’s not forget that Wigan have indeed been relegated once.
    As have Saints.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Meister View Post
    Serious question to Rogues - what do the Wigan fans generally think about their new coaching set up?

My Wigan mates wanted a new coach with no previous associations to the current playing staff - bit like when Michael Maguire took over & changed the culture at the club.
    Some are happy with it some or not. It's not as if we haven't known for a couple of months. The only one I didn't know for sure was Lee Briers, but had heard the "rumour". Personally I'm ok with it, Wigan have the best academy record of any team in Superleague and Matty Peet has had a big part of it, so probably deserves his chance. If you look at Lenagans coaching appointments he's always gone for assistants even with Brian Mac at London.
    Since Lenagan took over Wigan have won four grand finals, should probably have been seven , two challenge cups and a World club championships, all with promoted assistants.
    Even under Lam we got to a Grand Final.

It's a case of wait and see, but I'm reasonably optimistic, always a glass half full man. The negativity around the game as a whole is so disappointing, I mean we even get threads about "Have you seen what such a presenter is wearing" really what good does that do?

Learning All The Songs

As have Saints.

But not in the last 100 years and certainly not since 1980.

In The South Stand

It's a case of wait and see, but I'm reasonably optimistic, always a glass half full man. The negativity around the game as a whole is so disappointing, I mean we even get threads about "Have you seen what such a presenter is wearing" really what good does that do?
    It’s about standards, not fashion. If you are acceptant of the standards set by Sky when it comes to Rugby League, you’re part of the problem, for me. We’ve gone from the more than competent and professional Eddie and Stevo to Brian Carney stood around in jeans and trainers with Bill Arthur calling games with his eyes closed and calling any non-white Saints player “Naiqama”, just as one example. Even the way the game is presented, we used to have music and player graphics onscreen when tries were scored. Now, we just get a replay and whatever waffle Dumb & Dumber, O’Connor and McDermott, are going on about at the time.

While the game was born out of division and has probably never shook that off in the 125+ years of the sport, the moaning and concern shown this past year is based on identifiable issues in the game on the pitch, off it and what is projected into our homes.

The presentation of the Man of Steel awards was utterly shambolic. While I have no issue with the Catalans’ contingent not being around, the presenting from Carney’s spare room (not his fault, I will add) on his phone with his headphones in was as small time as I’ve ever seen from the sport in 25+ years.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Since Lenagan took over Wigan have won four grand finals, should probably have been seven o?

If you want to play that bollocks, Saints should have 13 SL titles, not 8

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    LetÂ’s not forget that Wigan have indeed been relegated once.
    The term "history"is apposite as a character in The History Boys" said "History, it's just one f........ing thing after another!" I think the paranoia is on the Wigan side, Many cannot recall Wigans dominance last century in the 1980s, but at what expense?, bankruptcy, directors arrested on suspicion of fraud, and finally having to sell their ground, not to build another stadium, just to survive, and now living in lodgings being allowed to play when their landlords deem fit, compare it to Saints a stadium voted one of the best in the country and not doing too badly on the trophy count, looking back I know which of the two options I'd have gone for. At least we have Cunningham Grange, Newlove Ave, Wellens Way etc., to remember Saints by, what do Wigan have,.... Tesco. Just off now to the ground for my booster, one of the main vaccination points in the North West and no doubt a little "earner" for the club, really looking forward to see how the Dream Team of coaches do next year at Wigan However I suspect that both Rogues and I have something in common, both look back wistfully on the days of Central Park and Knowsley Road, trying to recapture our youth

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    However I suspect that both Rogues and I have something in common, both look back wistfully on the days of Central Park and Knowsley Road, trying to recapture our youth
    Despite the winding up, my two favourite grounds by a mile.

You must leave Rogues alone. Looking back is going to be the only joy for him and the other Wigan fans for a long, long time.

You can’t build a decent house with bricks made of $hit, no matter how good the builders are.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

You’ve heard of “One Direction”

Well there’s a new boyband in town….

mousetester software

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

mousetester software
    Excellent effort

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

mousetester software
    Brilliant.

Learning All The Songs

Some are happy with it some or not. It's not as if we haven't known for a couple of months. The only one I didn't know for sure was Lee Briers, but had heard the "rumour". Personally I'm ok with it, Wigan have the best academy record of any team in Superleague and Matty Peet has had a big part of it, so probably deserves his chance. If you look at Lenagans coaching appointments he's always gone for assistants even with Brian Mac at London.
    Since Lenagan took over Wigan have won four grand finals, should probably have been seven , two challenge cups and a World club championships, all with promoted assistants.
    Even under Lam we got to a Grand Final.

Who is the guy who used to sit next to Lam and Wane before him? Where is he now?

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Who is the guy who used to sit next to Lam and Wane before him? Where is he now?
    This guy has been sat with Lam for a while, is it him?

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Saints and Wigan fans have been taking the •••• out of each other for 60+ years that I've been watching the game and most probably since the game started.

I agree long may it continue and like it or not the clubs need each other.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Saints and Wigan fans have been taking the •••• out of each other for 60+ years that I've been watching the game and most probably since the game started.

Absolutely.

There is a classic irony of Rogues posting that on a Saints forum though
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Absolutely.

There is a classic irony of Rogues posting that on a Saints forum though
    He’s clearly a closet Saints’ fan who needs to address his issues and come out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    He’s clearly a closet Saints’ fan who needs to address his issues and come out.
    He use to work in St Helens so would have been on the end of some testing banter from saints fans.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post

Completely agree, the major part of the rivalry is the give and take of friendly banter between Saints and Wigan, it's just not the same with other clubs like Warrington, a lot of their fans seem to be bitter like little children not being allowed to play with the big boys, I see they kept up their well honed tradition of smashing the away supporters coach windows when Hull KR left a couple of weeks ago