Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152131 ... LastLast

Thread: Wigan

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Can't quite understand your feeling, a side with a good proportion of Saints players in , and you want them to lose, a huge anti English feeling being whipped up by Macron and co., and you're supporting the "cheese eating surrender monkeys" I hope it's a good competitive game with no injuries particularly to the Saints contingent
    It's because a) I don't view the French as cheese eating surrender monkeys because I'm not a xenophobe, b) judging the French people by "Macron and co" is the same as judging me by Boris Johnson and c) the more success the French get the stronger the game should grow over there which would be to the benefit of RL in this country and everywhere else.

Sometimes the bigger picture is more important.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    It's because a) I don't view the French as cheese eating surrender monkeys because I'm not a xenophobe, b) judging the French people by "Macron and co" is the same as judging me by Boris Johnson and c) the more success the French get the stronger the game should grow over there which would be to the benefit of RL in this country and everywhere else.

Sometimes the bigger picture is more important.

Well said, sir

Starting A Programme Collection

I have been waiting in anticipation to see who Wigan sign for the 2022 season . I’m Assuming they are waiting to reveal the new signings needed to challenge for silverware until 25th December to give there fans something to be happy about !

Surly , they can’t be going with that squad and putting all their eggs in one basket hoping that the new coaching set up will magic something up . Sean wane is good but he ain’t Paul Daniels !

If I was a Wigan fan , I’d be very concerned about next year . That squad is rank to say the least .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

They've still got Thornley to announce and I think they are still wanting another half back too.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    They've still got Thornley to announce and I think they are still wanting another half back too.
    I can see them finishing 5th or below next season - I fancy us, Wire, Catalans and Leeds to be stronger and probably comfortably so in the case of us/Catalans/Wire.

Banned

Danny Rich?

I can see them finishing 5th or below next season - I fancy us, Wire, Catalans and Leeds to be stronger and probably comfortably so in the case of us/Catalans/Wire.
    Predictions like this have a tendency of biting us on the backside but their squad certainly isn't one that I particularly fear at the minute but I do think they'll be more competitive with Wane back there and French is a huge bonus for them. There's still some massive holes in the playing squad though. Harry Smith and Tommy Leuluai hardly strike fear as a halfback partnership and they're putting a lot of faith in two NRL imports in the pack who have 7 starts between them in 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Danny Rich?
    That was the rumour a while back but got shot down on the Wigan RLFans board. I have heard Jacob Miller mentioned too but not sure if there is any substance to that.

Thornley has definitely signed though and the player himself isn't really sure why it hasn't been announced yet.

Learning All The Songs

That was the rumour a while back but got shot down on the Wigan RLFans board. I have heard Jacob Miller mentioned too but not sure if there is any substance to that.

Thornley has definitely signed though and the player himself isn't really sure why it hasn't been announced yet.
    Wigan are after Jacob Miller, they also have money in the pot for another centre.

Learning All The Songs

The rumours about Hardaker won't go away either; there seems to be quite a bit of uncertainty there. At full strength they don't look too bad:

French
    Marshall
    Hardaker
    Thornley/Bibby
    Bibby/Miski
    Field
    Smith/Leuluai

However with fitness doubts over French and Field, plus rumours of an unhappy Hardaker, it's hardly a settled team at the minute.

You know it's bad when Wigan fans are actually praising Saints for getting our business sorted nice and early and having a settled squad going in the new season. Going off an a tangent slightly but despite our large turnover of players I think we will be well prepared as anyone for next year and I'm quite comfortable with where we are at compared to others. I certainly wouldn't swap our squad for anybody else's put it that way.

In The South Stand

I certainly wouldn't swap our squad for anybody else's put it that way.
    Or our coach, equally importantly.

Or our coach, equally importantly.
    Yeah I would agree there too.

We are in a really good place at the minute. To have won 3 on the bounce and still be favourites for the following year takes some doing in terms of us keeping those standards so high consistently. The run will inevitably end of course but I really really wouldn't bet against us at the minute.

[QUOTE=The Yellow Giraffe;837227]The rumours about Hardaker won't go away either; there seems to be quite a bit of uncertainty there. At full strength they don't look too bad:

French
    Marshall
    Hardaker
    Thornley/Bibby
    Bibby/Miski
    Field
    Smith/Leuluai

However with fitness doubts over French and Field, plus rumours of an unhappy Hardaker, it's hardly a settled team at the minute.

You know it's bad when Wigan fans are actually praising Saints for getting our business sorted nice and early and having a settled squad going in the new season. Going off an a tangent slightly but despite our large turnover of players I think we will be well prepared as anyone for next year and I'm quite comfortable with where we are at compared to others. I certainly wouldn't swap our squad for anybody else's put it that way.[/QUOTE

I really don’t rate French at all . Hardaker don’t want to be their. As for the rest , Utter turd

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post

I really don’t rate French at all . Hardaker don’t want to be their. As for the rest , Utter turd
    French is very dangerous and we've been burned by him before. He is far from perfect but with ball in hand he's their most dangerous player.

As for the rest I agree it's not amazing, I said earlier the halfbacks don't put any fear in me at all. And Hardaker is anything but settled.

In The South Stand

French is very dangerous and we've been burned by him before. He is far from perfect but with ball in hand he's their most dangerous player.

As for the rest I agree it's not amazing, I said earlier the halfbacks don't put any fear in me at all. And Hardaker is anything but settled.
    French ball in hand is very good I agree.

I also think it's difficult to judge Smith / Field - certainly unproven but who knows how they will go together, particularly with Lam gone and a couple of extra props (yes I know they havent played much NRL but the bar for coming in and improving their props is basically being better than some undersized kids and Brad Singleton so it's not exactly hard).

I also think it's difficult to judge Smith / Field - certainly unproven but who knows how they will go together, particularly with Lam gone and a couple of extra props (yes I know they havent played much NRL but the bar for coming in and improving their props is basically being better than some undersized kids and Brad Singleton so it's not exactly hard).
    I’m concerned with French when he has ball in hand with no defenders in front of him he then has ability ! I honestly don’t see the hype with him . He is mega quick so will give you a few try’s against shabby defences but ; against a top team , I just don’t see it .

I see them slipping next season . Hull KR will continue to improve , Leeds ( should be better ) Warrington ( it could be their year !) Catalan will want revenge , I see Wigan behind these at the end of next year . Peet
    Sacked and wane at the helm in prep for a building phase once they have the finances stabilised

I think you’ve nailed it with that point about the props they’ve signed. Nobody’s heard of them but if they're anything better than abysmal they’ll improve Wigan.
    Last edited by Dux; 9th November 2021 at 16:18.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I think you’ve nailed it with that point about the props they’ve signed. Nobody’s heard of them but if there’s anything better than abysmal they’ll improve Wigan.
    I am 50/50 on them and am not underestimating the effect that putting in place a homegrown (Briers aside, which is odd) coaching team may have on the place. A number of people I know at the Club have talked very openly about the perception that the behavioural standards and culture of the place had slipped whilst Lam was there, and that they are looking to right that. Wane is regarded as a Deity there and will absolutely have a transformational impact on their attitudes and approach. I am not in any doubt that he's coaching them and Matty Peet is just the frontman to preserve Wane's England gig.

I agree that on paper the standard of their squad doesn't look shiny and needs some work, but I wouldn't be so quick to write them off before a ball is kicked.

In The South Stand

Wigan are dire. If that squad was at Leigh or Salford they'd be outside tips to go down. The only thing that will keep them in a lot of games is the name on their shirts.

I'm sure Wane will have them overly wound up as ever and they will no doubt be the most aggressive, thuggish and disruptive side once again. But they are so lacking in quality I don't consider them genuine challengers for anything.

Banned

French's finest moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JU3ZTy2Boo

I actually rate French, think he is someone you need to keep a close eye on with ball in hand, he's got electric pace and a decent step.

The rest though are well below par.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    I actually rate French, think he is someone you need to keep a close eye on with ball in hand, he's got electric pace and a decent step.

He seems a 'fair weather' player, though. Don't mean that he prefers dry pitches (which all pacey players tend to), but that he looks good when the piescum are on top in a game or the opposition defence is poor, but makes little or no impact when it's a tough game or the piescum are on the back foot.

I'm also thinking that as soon as he shows like he's beginning to fulfil his potential, he'll be scurrying back to Australia.

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Lost another player, Hankinson has signed for Toulouse...

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........