Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131929 ... LastLast

Thread: Wigan

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    In the present climate I don't think this forum can sink any lower. I'm out.
    Very regrettable. Another poster gone whose knowledge and contribution will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Are people not over-reacting more than a little bit?

I'm genuinely taken aback.
    It’s their honest reaction though, you’ve got to acknowledge that they are entitled to it

Personally it didn’t bother me in the slightest, although I wouldn’t use those words myself

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    It’s their honest reaction though, you’ve got to acknowledge that they are entitled to it

Personally it didn’t bother me in the slightest, although I wouldn’t use those words myself
    If I'm being totally honest, I find Webbo's posts on RL really insightful. Would run rings around me on his understanding of the sport & I value his opinion.

I've said & done things I'm not proud of too so I'm not going to lambast him for that although I can understand why it has offended other posters.

Quote Originally Posted by Canterbredve View Post
    Isn't that part of the problem? You don't think you're overstepping the mark with the last line of your post, and what you call Whelan, and after that many readers may not react because they've become used to that kind of language, and inured to it?

And that's the trouble. All civility is gone, and what happens on social media plays out in the public domain. I do a lot of political canvassing, and you can't get a session done on the doorsteps without abuse of one kind or another, fuelled by online stuff.

Contrast some of the bile on here with the David Squires cartoon you yourself posted: -

https://www.theguardian.com/football...saudi-takeover

People might not agree, but it's cleverly done. I'm enjoying Wigan discomfort as much as the next Saints supporter btw, whilst also not wishing them to sink too far for too long...
    I've not been in your position but that's certainly given me food for thought

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    If I'm being totally honest, I find Webbo's posts on RL really insightful. Would run rings around me on his understanding of the sport & I value his opinion.

I've said & done things I'm not proud of too so I'm not going to lambast him for that although I can understand why it has offended other posters.
    I think the call for Whelan to have a slow and painful death was entirely unnecessary, but i dont have an issue with anything else in there, if Webbo’s opinion of Whelan is that he is a ‘vile cockroach’ thats his right to say it.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by palmorr View Post
    It is a forum. An exchange of opinions!
    Yea a Sintellin forum sums up the culture of some of the people .

Marvellous cartoon strip there.....drilling down beneath the gloss

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post

Absolutely, and I've hardly tried to stop anyone - I've got bricks lobbed at me, I've chucked a few back because I mean it when I say that I was surprised at the reaction. I was thinking 'this is Dave f***ing Whelan we're talking about here'. I've heard first hand tales of how the grubby multi-millionaire has shafted people (like tradespeople who've done work for him, then he's bullied them into accepting a lower payment afterwards). And like I said, he could have put the stadium into a trust for use by both the football and rugby clubs, bound by watertight covenants, and still hoarded tens of millions of quid.

FWIW, we're all going to die when it's our time. And how I 'hope' somebody's demise happens has absolutely no bearing on what will actually happen. I've not threatened anyone, I've not called for anyone to harm anyone. I merely said that, when his time for croaking comes, I hope... well, I don't need to restate it verbatim.

Learning All The Songs

Absolutely, and I've hardly tried to stop anyone - I've got bricks lobbed at me, I've chucked a few back because I mean it when I say that I was surprised at the reaction. I was thinking 'this is Dave f***ing Whelan we're talking about here'. I've heard first hand tales of how the grubby multi-millionaire has shafted people (like tradespeople who've done work for him, then he's bullied them into accepting a lower payment afterwards). And like I said, he could have put the stadium into a trust for use by both the football and rugby clubs, bound by watertight covenants, and still hoarded tens of millions of quid.

FWIW, we're all going to die when it's our time. And how I 'hope' somebody's demise happens has absolutely no bearing on what will actually happen. I've not threatened anyone, I've not called for anyone to harm anyone. I merely said that, when his time for croaking comes, I hope... well, I don't need to restate it verbatim.
    I read it as it was intended a bit of banter, some people are so sensitive. Don't worry yourself. COYS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I would not have written what you did, but it didn't cause me any sleepless nights. Afer watching a documentary on him years ago a lot of people he employed would probably agree with you.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I would not have written what you did, but it didn't cause me any sleepless nights. Afer watching a documentary on him years ago a lot of people he employed would probably agree with you.
    Seems to have done a lot more bad things than good things, was accused of being anti-semitic and racist a few years ago, also some employees mentioned a "cheap slave labour" environment. One ex employee said something on the lines he would sell his own grandma to give money to his kids, astute business man but leaves a trail of misery with others.

Banned

Up to you all, of course, but can we put this to bed now and crack on with the usual chatter about rugby?

Quick comment from me regarding some of the comments on here. A little distasteful, perhaps but as attributed (incorrectly I believe) to Voltaire

“I disagree with what you say, however I will defend until death your right to say it”

For what it’s worth, I am likely the only person posting on this thread who has dealt with Mr Whelan and his family professionally (albeit in 2015…..) regarding car purchases and would choose not to deal with them again if it were up to me.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    “I disagree with what you say, however I will defend until death your right to say it”

Always apt - but I will point out that 'free speech' doesn't mean 'you can say what you want without others being able to respond and criticise'. Those that scolded me had every right to express their own opinions toward me every bit as much as I did to make the initial comment and subsequently respond to them.

(I will say that one or two of the other forums (not RL) that I go on are very much more combative and impolite than this, and it's easy to carry over attitudes between forums!)

I think that’s all been dealt with very maturely for once!

Moving on…

Learning All The Songs

Up to you all, of course, but can we put this to bed now and crack on with the usual chatter about rugby?
    Well said. I’m looking forward to a four peat and battering Wigan and Warrington next season with our, hopefully, improved squad

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Quick comment from me regarding some of the comments on here. A little distasteful, perhaps but as attributed (incorrectly I believe) to Voltaire

For what it’s worth, I am likely the only person posting on this thread who has dealt with Mr Whelan and his family professionally (albeit in 2015…..) regarding car purchases and would choose not to deal with them again if it were up to me.
    Reckon I could beat you too that one I had dealings with him before he became famous when he run a stall on Wigan Market in the 1960s with his brother in law and had the shop down Poolstock Lane. Not a nice person whatsoever to deal with.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Absolutely.

No hard feelings and for what it's worth I enjoy your comments and insights into the game.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Always apt - but I will point out that 'free speech' doesn't mean 'you can say what you want without others being able to respond and criticise'. Those that scolded me had every right to express their own opinions toward me every bit as much as I did to make the initial comment and subsequently respond to them.

(I will say that one or two of the other forums (not RL) that I go on are very much more combative and impolite than this, and it's easy to carry over attitudes between forums!)

The quote covers both your comments, and the right of everyone to respond.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Dodd has shown already that he's more suited to our team that Richardson was. But let's not get into the trap that Richardson is 'rubbish', because he's got ball-playing and kicking skills. And, whilst I don't see the scum having enough overall to beat us, we need to be wary of a former player that may be invigorated, and would definitely have a point to prove (and Briers would presumably be working with him there)
    Glass half empty is it?

Jesus wept.

Some right sanctimonious tits on this site.
    And right are sole's

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    In the present climate I don't think this forum can sink any lower. I'm out.
    Sadly I have to agree with this

Got A Season Ticket Duke Eddington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Saint View Post
    Sadly I have to agree with this
    Me too. I can't believe the weeks after us winning the 3peat, the most popular post on the forum is about Wigan.
    I come on here daily, as I have done for years in the hope of seeing some Saints news or info about new signings from the people in the know, but I feel the forum as sunken into the depths of social media, where people can't wait to criticise someone's posts.
    #Awaits criticism.

It's close season. Not much happens. Maybe somebody needs to start a thread on next season's kit and ask when the fixtures are out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    It's close season. Not much happens. Maybe somebody needs to start a thread on next season's kit and ask when the fixtures are out.
    Don’t forget the best ever Saints 13 threads
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.