Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2131373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1154

Thread: Wigan

Whilst I mainly agree with your view on this Saint, I think it is taken from being illustrated history of an important or defining moment for their club, into offensive and cartoonish buffoonery by the added ‘KLOWKK’ next to it, which is in no way justifiable. Just the image alone could be excused- even though it would remain in bad taste- add the word and it tips into defined offence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    At first glance it's surprising and not a good look to include this incident - but having read what Dave posted on the Redvee Twitter account about mishmashes commissioned by football clubs, I think I've actually changed my mind and can partly understand why it's been included.

The idea of a mishmash is to depict the 'story' of a club. As an artist you'd want to include visually striking, memorable, sometimes shocking moments because that's what makes an interesting piece of art. Similar parallels might be Cantona's infamous 'kung fu' kick and Roy Keane's leg breaker on Haaland - which have been included in similar commissions despite the injury/bad publicity/controversy they caused.

I personally don't have a problem with it. I don't think including it on the mishmash is a celebration of the incident as some are interpreting it (particularly as it's a big reason they ended up losing a Grand Final to us), I see it as just including a striking image of something significant that happened. It's one of literally hundreds if not thousands of different moments illustrated. But obviously respect people's right to disagree and feel differently about it.

On a side note, I'm glad the comments from yesterday have been acted on. That sort of stuff really IS disgusting and reflects terribly on this site and our fans.
    AFAIK, the football ones aren’t official commissions (certainly not by Manchester United, I believe), so I would imagine there is leeway to put more close to the bone type images on there. This one has been commissioned by Wigan, the artist has bizarrely decided to include things the club aren’t proud of (why?) and someone at Wigan has signed it off. It’s just a strange episode from all angles, really.

I’d get it if there were other lows on the collage (relegation, the Salford defeat in the cup, the Sheffield final loss etc) but there’s not any others that I can see on there that you could consider as lows so it makes the inclusion of this all the more odd.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Another banning.

Disgraceful

@RedveeDotNet

Got A Season Ticket

I keep missing everything, what's happening? Why's everyone getting themselves banned?

Just chill out gents, ease up on the poor comments. A shame when mods have to keep getting involved because grown-ups can't behave themselves. I like it on here, screw the nut lads.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EddieVonEagle View Post
    I keep missing everything, what's happening? Why's everyone getting themselves banned?

Just chill out gents, ease up on the poor comments. A shame when mods have to keep getting involved because grown-ups can't behave themselves. I like it on here, screw the nut lads.

Distasteful comments about a former Wigan player.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EddieVonEagle View Post

Think Bronco is working overtime filtering out the nasty Terry Newton comments, posters need to be very careful.

Got A Season Ticket

Thanks for prompt action fellas..these comments was way beyond the pale. As a general question, is there any filtering procedure that stops these clowns from returning under a different name?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Distasteful comments about a former Wigan player.
    I can't imagine what they were specifically. However I'm sure I know who they're about. But with Hohaia it does raise the question of where the line is drawn, when does mocking a serious situation become too edgy? What happened to Hohaia was extremely serious, arguably the worst thing I've ever seen in sport. How Flower played again and stayed out of prison is beyond me. Hohaia suffered life changing injuries in that he was forced to retire and was still feeling the effects of it years later. I wasn't offended in the sense that it didn't make me angry as it's so irrelevant and small-time, but it didn't surprise me either. This Wigan is very similar to Suarez-era Liverpool, they're so up themselves that rational thinking and doing the right thing sometimes get lost in an overwhelming sense of self-righteousness, despite the great history and embedded class of the club.

The artist in this example isn't doing himself any favours either with how he portrayed it. If the club want it in there, fine, but be a bit creative and add a bit of subtelty to it. It's clear someone at Wigan wanted it in there because they thought it was funny and he needed to rise above that but didn't. The line about including iconic negatives as well as celebrating positives doesn't wash at all either, they left out several other iconic things they could have included. If Saints get one done, (There was a random guy walking round in a Watford polo at the Leeds game) I hope we're not pushing any moronically childish ideas his way.

In The South Stand

I’m happy for Wigan to show their true colours. Hopefully they’ll excuse the cartoon and dig an even deeper hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I’m happy for Wigan to show their true colours. Hopefully they’ll excuse the cartoon and dig an even deeper hole.
    Same here, their fans like to convince everyone that the days of playing thugby has gone. But then the club officially resurrect something like this giving us ammo to fire back at them. Never is the word WIGOON more apt.

Couple of my Wigan Latics neighbours are telling me they are pulling rank on the Wigoon Warriors having been promoted this year. Wigoons might not have a say on their home fixture dates during August and September, our Friday away fixture with them very likey to change and at the moment the 1st and 2nd round play off dates likely to clash with the Latics fixtures pitch condition wise.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Couple of my Wigan Latics neighbours are telling me they are pulling rank on the Wigoon Warriors having been promoted this year. Wigoons might not have a say on their home fixture dates during August and September, our Friday away fixture with them very likey to change and at the moment the 1st and 2nd round play off dates likely to clash with the Latics fixtures pitch condition wise.
    Actually, moving that 26th August date (to Thursday maybe?) might suit us as we play again on 29th.

Starting A Programme Collection

Thursday would suit us and Wigan as everyone playing on the Monday.

Rugby league on TV on twitter has just said don't rule out the Wednesday night either which would give us Friday-Wednesday-Monday so a more even spread.

Moving it to a Thursday or even Wednesday is going to have a big impact on the crowd I think.

Results dependent could've been a LLS decider on a Friday night with 4-4.5k Saints and 17/18k on I think.

Thursday or Wednesday you're looking at 3-3.5k Saints and a 13/14k crowd I'd imagine.

Noooobie

I hope they sort it out asap as a Blackburn Rovers fan I will be there for 2 games -Saints and Rovers away
    WIGiN - A Team of 5 letters and 2 Syllables because if it was any longer they could not remember it

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Lets see how many canon ball tackles wigan get away with tonight.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Just incase you was wondering.

French scored 7 tries against Hull FC last week.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    I think Bill Arthur gets a semi everytime he touches the ball.
    He might just Climax if he scores again.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post

Wow that's some achievement , wonder why Sky kept that quket6

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post

Gosh! You'd think they'd make more of it, well done that man!

I wonder if wigan will suffer the old cup winners late season burn out???? Having said that you wouldn’t think it would be as much of an issue now that the cup final is played earlier in the season and no longer in August.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Good start Coops. High shot and a knock on. Still carrying on the Wire traditions. You have to respect that.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Good start Coops. High shot and a knock on. Still carrying on the Wire traditions. You have to respect that.
    Let's face it he is one step up from Chris Hill... Enough said.

Learning All The Songs

I thought you couldn’t go through the legs is the player playing the ball!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    I thought you couldn’t go through the legs is the player playing the ball!
    Crazy decision, how can the defender make that tackle. Ha, ha!

In the late 90’s Paul Anderson would hold the markers up in the air whilst James Lowes plunged over!