Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Willie Isa

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ferester123 View Post
    I see he’s appealed his ban and won and will play tonight!
    Bateman didn't seem to do much wrong, his getting off doesn't bother me. It's the leniency of the disciplinary and the tolerance from Refs of the way Isa carries on that gets to me.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Bateman didn't seem to do much wrong, his getting off doesn't bother me. It's the leniency of the disciplinary and the tolerance from Refs of the way Isa carries on that gets to me.
    I agree with this. Bateman's gobbing off is just a distraction, Isa has gotten away almost Scott free. The apology written by the pies is embarrassing in itself as it is clearly aimed at the next time he behaves like this (and we all know there will be a next time). It will be, he was provoked, he got caught up in the emotion, he is a good person, look he apologised last time. As for LMS having a go at KPP, it looks like LMS is saying Don't effing push my mate & then just laughing at the big petulant kid. Bateman is just defending his kid too, nothing to see here apart from the obvious late attack on Percy by Isa. It was Isa that should have gone for the late knee to the balls, not Bateman for swearing.

In The South Stand

How many times can Wigan get away with “he’s not that kind of person”? They’ve used that line throughout history but after Clubb, Flower and Isa in the space of a few years, it’s wearing thin.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    How many times can Wigan get away with “he’s not that kind of person”? They’ve used that line throughout history but after Clubb, Flower and Isa in the space of a few years, it’s wearing thin.
    Totally agree and if he’s not that type of Person why is he always being penalised especially against SAINTS.
    Also see Kendal isn’t ref or linesman in any games this week ?

I knew Bateman would get off his ban as his swearing was directed at LMS and not at Kendall. When cross examined Kendall couldn’t categorically confirm it was towards him, hence it being thrown out.

Bateman said from the off it was never directed at Kendall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m chuffed he is available for tonight. He lost it on Twitter with Saints and Bentley so I’m hoping he will get some Agro from Leeds players and will bite.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferester123 View Post
    I see he’s appealed his ban and won and will play tonight!
    How appropriate.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

This article seems to infer Kendall has been stood down for inferring Bateman was talking to him, if I'm reading right. I assumed he'd been stood down because of the total shambles of his handling of discipline in general, and specifically Isa, who should have been off. https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/chris...s-derby-42478/

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Aaaaaand Bateman let off on appeal.

There was a lot of emotion, apparently, so in those situations any player is allowed to verbally abuse the ref.

FFS.

What a joke.
    Coaches criticize the useless refs, censured and fined; a Wigan player does it and only gets 10 mins.
    Remind me again how this "Respect" initiative works?
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Coaches criticize the useless refs, censured and fined; a Wigan player does it and only gets 10 mins.
    Remind me again how this "Respect" initiative works?
    I keep saying it but we need to copy Union in terms of refereeing and that includes maintaining respect on field with referees being “Sir” and players identified by team and number. I personally feel that if that sort of “distance” were established, players would think twice before opening their mouths.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I keep saying it but we need to copy Union in terms of refereeing and that includes maintaining respect on field with referees being “Sir” and players identified by team and number. I personally feel that if that sort of “distance” were established, players would think twice before opening their mouths.
    Totally agree it sound so simple but I bet they won’t do it

Got A Season Ticket

I worked for a couple of years with a man who had been a corporal in WW2. He used 'Sir' a lot. Most of the time it was obvious to everyone in hearing, including the person he was addressing, that he meant the opposite; and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    Totally agree it sound so simple but I bet they won’t do it

There is an old adage “ Familiarity breeds contempt” never a truer word.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    I worked for a couple of years with a man who had been a corporal in WW2. He used 'Sir' a lot. Most of the time it was obvious to everyone in hearing, including the person he was addressing, that he meant the opposite; and there was nothing anyone could do about it.
    I understand what you’re saying. I’ve spent a lot of my working life saying “with respect” instead of “you clearly don’t have a clue”.

At work I spent most of my time trying to stop often senior members of staff calling me Sir when their juniors used my first name. However, I think that the intentionally formalised use of “Sir” on a rugby pitch reminds players to mind their language (in terms of insults and dissent) towards the officials. I don’t like the current use of player’s first names by referees either. Like it or not, referees are there to be obeyed and most of them don’t have a huge physical presence. Artificial formality is simply a device to remind players who is in charge and to react to them accordingly.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Fully agree with this.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I understand what you’re saying. I’ve spent a lot of my working life saying “with respect” instead of “you clearly don’t have a clue”.

At work I spent most of my time trying to stop often senior members of staff calling me Sir when their juniors used my first name. However, I think that the intentionally formalised use of “Sir” on a rugby pitch reminds players to mind their language (in terms of insults and dissent) towards the officials. I don’t like the current use of player’s first names by referees either. Like it or not, referees are there to be obeyed and most of them don’t have a huge physical presence. Artificial formality is simply a device to remind players who is in charge and to react to them accordingly.
    What infuriates me more is when you hear the ref call a player "mate"

Don’t forget Cowie. !!!!!

Learning All The Songs

I think fair play for the apology and judge him next time we clash. A step wrong now from him and all eyes will be on him. Truth is a ban has done wigan a favour..
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Got A Season Ticket

I guess this is something we’ll always have different views about. For me, the world has changed so that artificial formality doesn’t do the business. But getting players to have real respect for referees because the referees have earned it is, shall we say, tricky.

I wonder when Isa will do to someone what Latrell Mitchell did to Joey Manu ? Is it only a matter of time ? Both loose cannons, one hugely talented but flawed, the other a pie.

The 4 game ban doesn't really address the problem for ISA he won't learn anything from it, was his apology statement written by himself or the club. People will always remember the rampage of Newton in the derby game, head shot on Gardner, head shot on Gilmour and the final head shot on Longy.

I can see that repeating itself with ISA, he will just lose it completely and a player will receive long term damage, Ben Flower could have been close to manslaughter and I remember McManus saying he needed therapy help, perhaps ISA needs some therapy, match bans doesn't stop a loaded gun.