Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stoppages...

Default Stoppages...

Was just watching Woolf's post-match interview and the interviewer asks a good question and that was around the stoppage(s) in the game last night.

I said it at the time that O'Brien would bounce back up and get in the defensive line as if nothing happened, and what happened, 4-5 minutes after the game was paused, he did.

Now obviously there is a fine line between someone who is genuinely injured but I'd argue that they would be signs which show that.

Wire have got the art down to a tee and it looks like other clubs are taking note.

There was absolutely no doubt that O'Brien's 'injury break' helped Cas last night, we were in the ascendency and peppering them once we had it back to 10-14, Cas need a breather, so what happens... one of their players gets injured during a tackle which was actually a high shot on Thompson.

Something needs to be done because it is as blatant as it could be, yet teams are getting away with it.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Was just watching Woolf's post-match interview and the interviewer asks a good question and that was around the stoppage(s) in the game last night.

I said it at the time that O'Brien would bounce back up and get in the defensive line as if nothing happened, and what happened, 4-5 minutes after the game was paused, he did.

Now obviously there is a fine line between someone who is genuinely injured but I'd argue that they would be signs which show that.

Wire have got the art down to a tee and it looks like other clubs are taking note.

There was absolutely no doubt that O'Brien's 'injury break' helped Cas last night, we were in the ascendency and peppering them once we had it back to 10-14, Cas need a breather, so what happens... one of their players gets injured during a tackle which was actually a high shot on Thompson.

Something needs to be done because it is as blatant as it could be, yet teams are getting away with it.
    Sene-Lefao Tackled Percival after he kicked through. Yes he got penalised,but he went down for a few minutes break. Also a clear example of a professional foul but no sin bin by look at me Thaler.

Why no head test on Eden if tommy did attack head why no head test thought it was mandatory. Should to shoulder nothing more. Proved it with no head test. 2 mins later back up and scored winning try . Not much wrong...yellow card at most...

Got A Season Ticket

Cas are turning into a scummy little club. Play acting last night, milking pens, dropping the ball when we had hands on it, the stoppages and Ofcourse they are the masters of playing the covid/injury crisis card.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 53wharty90 View Post
    Cas are turning into a scummy little club. Play acting last night, milking pens, dropping the ball when we had hands on it, the stoppages and Ofcourse they are the masters of playing the covid/injury crisis card.
    The man at the helm is the soon to be wire coach so more of the same from the noisy neighbours

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    The man at the helm is the soon to be wire coach so more of the same from the noisy neighbours

Yeah, I think Powell has become a bitter and cynical bloke over the past several years. I think he's really p*ssed off that they blew their big chance in 2017 playing good rugby, and seen other clubs deploy shithouse tactics successfully so started to do so himself.

Learning All The Songs

Maybe we should take a lead from football, if play is stopped for an injury, then the injury must be serious so the player should have to leave the pitch, for a few minutes to recuperate(or be subbed), all in the interest of player welfare.

But since it isn’t a tactic Saints use, then nothing will be done and the game will continue down into the boreathon that it has become and slowly fans will stop going.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Maybe we should take a lead from football, if play is stopped for an injury, then the injury must be serious so the player should have to leave the pitch, for a few minutes to recuperate(or be subbed), all in the interest of player welfare.

But since it isnÂ’t a tactic Saints use, then nothing will be done and the game will continue down into the boreathon that it has become and slowly fans will stop going.

Something needs to be done before as you say fans lose interest because of the stop start nature of our game now. ItÂ’s no wonder SKY has made comment that the quality of the game is poor and very likely be costed to what the entertainment value is currently in existence.

In a way you could say our 16 pt superleague margin kick started it, clubs couldnÂ’t compete with our momentum domination so the only option was a stop start spoiling game with feigning injury at epidemic proportions. There are not a lot of attacking opportunities now in Superleague with fluent passing plays itÂ’s now off loads and kicks.

The game is on its backside now and the cheating is pretty much out of control.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Something needs to be done before as you say fans lose interest because of the stop start nature of our game now. ItÂ’s no wonder SKY has made comment that the quality of the game is poor and very likely be costed to what the entertainment value is currently in existence.

In a way you could say our 16 pt superleague margin kick started it, clubs couldnÂ’t compete with our momentum domination so the only option was a stop start spoiling game with feigning injury at epidemic proportions. There are not a lot of attacking opportunities now in Superleague with fluent passing plays itÂ’s now off loads and kicks.

The game is on its backside now and the cheating is pretty much out of control.
    Bang on. I watched one of the retro games the other day. Saints v Bradford from 1996 I think. It just looked like another sport, so much pace and movement and inventiveness. Nothing like the dross we're being served up. Those players would never think of diving on the ground and faking an injury to stop an attack.

Learning All The Songs

We are no angels ourselves, Tommy has milked a few especially when he gets it wrong under a high one and drops it, yet when he dislocates a shoulder he plays on.
    Perhaps in some peoples view it is not in the spirit of our sport but if conning/cheating or massaging the rules to the limit played in a boreathon style gets us three in a row beating Warrington & Wigan on the way and in the final, then not many will complain.

Learning All The Songs

If we (the club that is) want to change it. Then why not target a game and have an ‘injury’ every other tackle make the game last 2hours, on a Sky match. Only then will the RFL do something because their gravy train will look like it’s departing.

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    We are no angels ourselves, Tommy has milked a few especially when he gets it wrong under a high one and drops it, yet when he dislocates a shoulder he plays on.
    Perhaps in some peoples view it is not in the spirit of our sport but if conning/cheating or massaging the rules to the limit played in a boreathon style gets us three in a row beating Warrington & Wigan on the way and in the final, then not many will complain.
    Maybe not, but it won't make me renew my season ticket (sorry 'membership')

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by knowsleyroaders View Post
    Sene-Lefao Tackled Percival after he kicked through. Yes he got penalised,but he went down for a few minutes break. Also a clear example of a professional foul but no sin bin by look at me Thaler.
    There were a couple of times that a Cas player made a borderline hit on a Saints player and then went down "injured" themselves

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    If we (the club that is) want to change it. Then why not target a game and have an ‘injury’ every other tackle make the game last 2hours, on a Sky match. Only then will the RFL do something because their gravy train will look like it’s departing.
    Kinda like when Wigan were playing or passing the ball into any opposition player behind the ruck to get a penalty, but it when Cas did it blatantly once there was suddenly a rule change

I think there is a need to be careful with thread before we get too far into
    "all these other cynical teams" spoiling the game.

Saints are just as guilty as most.

It's wasn't so long ago that whenever Saints conceded a drop out LMS
    would go down like he was shot by a sniper.

1st tackle six agains are a plentiful.
    Saints players rub their heads when it suits like any other team.

It a real problem but its a game wide problem and Saints (although not the worst offenders)
    are not the only victim.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Alot of the rule changes have made the game slower and more robotic.

Players are feigning injuries and exploiting the HIA rule to the max. The feigning injuries one in particular is frustrating, play often stops for 3-4 minutes and then the "injured player" returns to the defensive line completely halting the momentum of the attack and allowing the defenders time to regroup and have a breather.

The lack of scrums is also leading to a robotic and set defensive line. There's barely any space on the field anymore and as a result less clean breaks. Every restart is the same as a result.

The six again rule is also being hugely exploited especially in opponents half near their line. If they're going to persist with 6 again, it should only be used when your attacking in your opponents half, if fouled in your own half its a penalty. This will stop teams deliberately exploiting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

I noticed last night that a HKR player got injured just behind the Wigan play the ball line and In the few seconds it took Wigan to get up and play the ball the physio had moved the player forward so he was in the Wigan line then he went down to get attention to a head injury so the ref had no choice but to stop the game.After a bit of holding his head and looking into his eyes the player run back to the HKR defensive line.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

Players are feigning injuries and exploiting the HIA rule to the max. The feigning injuries one in particular is frustrating, play often stops for 3-4 minutes and then the "injured player" returns to the defensive line completely halting the momentum of the attack and allowing the defenders time to regroup and have a breather.

The lack of scrums is also leading to a robotic and set defensive line. There's barely any space on the field anymore and as a result less clean breaks. Every restart is the same as a result.

The six again rule is also being hugely exploited especially in opponents half near their line. If they're going to persist with 6 again, it should only be used when your attacking in your opponents half, if fouled in your own half its a penalty. This will stop teams deliberately exploiting it.
    I don’t think SKY are too happy with a slow robotic game, trouble at the RFL if they ignore it.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

I've argued for ages that the six gain rule needs changing. If the offence is committed on the 1st or 2nd tackle or in the 40 metre area then it should be a free kick (maybe not a kick at goal) The number of teams who are quite happy to commit that offence is incredible. Then you get idiotic teams like us who do it on the 4th tackle

I bet they didn’t go down too many times today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I've argued for ages that the six gain rule needs changing. If the offence is committed on the 1st or 2nd tackle or in the 40 metre area then it should be a free kick (maybe not a kick at goal) The number of teams who are quite happy to commit that offence is incredible. Then you get idiotic teams like us who do it on the 4th tackle
    I'd be inclined to just sack it off altogether. The idea was supposed to be that teams who slowed the game would suffer, but it's worked in completely the opposite way. If teams want to spoil they should have to run the risk of conceding penalties.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by knowsleyroaders View Post
    JSL had to go off for a head test? I dont mind people questioning players staying down but JSL failed the on field head test and had to go off. That one is genuine.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tigersteve View Post
    JSL had to go off for a head test? I dont mind people questioning players staying down but JSL failed the on field head test and had to go off. That one is genuine.
    And there's the problem. If a referee doesn't stop the game and it's a genuine injury he'll get slaughtered. They can't take the risk

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    And there's the problem. If a referee doesn't stop the game and it's a genuine injury he'll get slaughtered. They can't take the risk

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk
    So you rely on the honesty & integrity of the club & players.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    So you rely on the honesty & integrity of the club & players.
    And the medical staff who shouldn’t be willing to be guilty of professional misconduct to please a coach. If they get caught up in facilitating cheating then the world has gone mad but we’ve all seen convenient recoveries. Ultimately the real sanction will be commercial. Loss of gate money and TV revenue because the public get fed up with it. I don’t know how representative this board is of fans at large but if it is a representative cross section the clubs should start to get worried.

Buddy is right about the refs though. They can’t be seen to take chances with player welfare. Maybe some rule changes about removing players from the field for a set time might help but it seems to me that rule changes often backfire.