Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Sending Off

Got A Season Ticket

It definitely wasn’t late that’s for sure. He was committed to the tackle. That said he gets himself in a very awkward position, hitting with the shoulder and the impact was so severe that he can’t get his arms up before Evalds flies backwards. Probably a yellow card due to recklessness. You could justify red if pictures show contact was head rather than chest but pictures make it hard to see this clearly.

It never crossed my mind that Tommy would get a red card, I was worried that he could perhaps get a yellow.

It was however a very strange thing for him to do. He had time to change what he was doing once Evalds passed the ball. He could have used his arms and made more of an effort to tackle him which would have probably resulted in no punishment. However he choice to lower his arms and drop his shoulder which was a very strange and risky thing to do. His second bone head thing he has done against Castleford.

The whole game was full of us doing stupid obvious fouls. The hitting the kickers seemed unnecessary as well. We have made a point of pressuring kickers this year but we seemed to just jump over the line against Cas. I dont understand why any of this happened.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    I have watched this back now post game on Sky a number of times? Where is this conclusive shoulder to the head business? Yes, Sky morons mentioned it after obviously taking information from their analysis people who listen to the ref and video ref. Where is it? Even in slow motion? Tommy hits Evalds under his left shoulder which lifts up and rocks his head back. He’s running at full speed and knocks Evalds off his feet. Evalds falls back looks up and realises to get the penalty for late hit on playmaker (of which it is neither that) and stays on the ground. Video ref then clearly watches it back 5-6 times from one angle and gives the information to Thaler. That is never a red card, if it is the game has completely gone if you can’t hit players that hard anymore, we’ve become tick rugby.

If Evalds is hit by any shoulder at that speed he will be off for concussion test, yet he’s back up in minutes with no ill effects.
    I agree with everything you said.

Learning All The Songs

I think the argument some have with the sending off is you see tackles like that in many games, rarely do they result in a red, all i want is consistency with decisions, that was another one where different refs give different things. If that is a red then arguably there should be 1/2 reds a game, but all the interpretations by the refs do currently is make people scratch their heads in a confused manner.

Learning All The Songs

Under the current rules it is a red, as ffs points out no attempt to wrap his arms leaves the video ref no choice and as Noel says Castleford seem to bring out the worst in Tommy.
    Though when he was up before the disciplinary he did say it was not 100 Watt more a keyring pencil light !!!

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    It never crossed my mind that Tommy would get a red card, I was worried that he could perhaps get a yellow.

It was however a very strange thing for him to do. He had time to change what he was doing once Evalds passed the ball. He could have used his arms and made more of an effort to tackle him which would have probably resulted in no punishment. However he choice to lower his arms and drop his shoulder which was a very strange and risky thing to do. His second bone head thing he has done against Castleford.

The whole game was full of us doing stupid obvious fouls. The hitting the kickers seemed unnecessary as well. We have made a point of pressuring kickers this year but we seemed to just jump over the line against Cas. I dont understand why any of this happened.
    I've not watched it since, but at the time we were debating whether it was a penalty or not. I thought watching it live that he shot out of the line to make the tackle but he passed it. Tommy realised and tried to turn out of it but was too far gone and just ended up awkwardly slamming into him. I can't believe Tommy would just shoot out of the line and deliberately shoulder him in the head as people are claiming.

Learning All The Songs

Under the current rules, it probably is a red. Whether that should be the case is a completely different argument, which I don't think it should be.

The fact that a player can be sent off for 'forceful contact with the head' and the receiving player isn't sent for at least a HIA is a joke though and shows that Evalds was playing for it. A real shame.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    Under the current rules, it probably is a red. Whether that should be the case is a completely different argument, which I don't think it should be.

The fact that a player can be sent off for 'forceful contact with the head' and the receiving player isn't sent for at least a HIA is a joke though and shows that Evalds was playing for it. A real shame.
    If it’s a head shot at force it’s a blatant red card but Evalds HAS to go off for a HIA. If Evalds doesn’t go off for a HIA he must’ve told the physio there wasn’t contact with the head and therefore it’s either not a red card or Evalds has lied to the physio to avoid leaving the field.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    If it’s a head shot at force it’s a blatant red card but Evalds HAS to go off for a HIA. If Evalds doesn’t go off for a HIA he must’ve told the physio there wasn’t contact with the head and therefore it’s either not a red card or Evalds has lied to the physio to avoid leaving the field.
    Given Tommy a good defence case

Got A Replica Shirt

Don’t think Fages went off in the CC game against Leeds when Tetevano saw red. Don’t think it’s necessarily about head contact, physios need to act when ANY symptom of a concussion is present IE being knocked out, dizziness, loss of vision, confusion, balance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMCMXCIV View Post
    Don’t think Fages went off in the CC game against Leeds when Tetevano saw red. Don’t think it’s necessarily about head contact, physios need to act when ANY symptom of a concussion is present IE being knocked out, dizziness, loss of vision, confusion, balance issues.
    My point was more that given the force of the hit, if there was any head contact, he should have had to go for a HIA.

Noooobie

Not if he passes the on field head test protocol.

For me it was a borderline, there was minimal contact with the head (there are replays showing so), initially I said yellow card. I think the most damning thing was that there was no attempt to "wrap up".

Personally I think it should be sending off sufficient.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post

He had time to change what he was doing once Evalds passed the ball. He could have used his arms and made more of an effort to tackle him which would have probably resulted in no punishment.
    Pity is the players can't switch to slow motion, between the offload or kick and the tackle is a nanosecond.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Yes, as expected really. Can't complain, it looks like a tackle that deserves a ban to be honest. I would want someone to get a ban if they did it to one of our players.

The disciplinary panel are a complete joke.

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    Yes, as expected really. Can't complain, it looks like a tackle that deserves a ban to be honest. I would want someone to get a ban if they did it to one of our players.
    Dunno, 3 match ban seems harsh, especially given you can get less of a ban for punching someone in the face.

In The South Stand

Expected 2-3 in all honesty, so it’s about right.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Dunno, 3 match ban seems harsh, especially given you can get less of a ban for punching someone in the face.
    Unfortunately he has previous with the ball tampering incident. I agree 're the punching though. The RFL set an agenda to punish certain offenses each year. This year it's late hits, 3 games seems to be the tariff for contact of shoulder with head. Willie Isa has his own tariff of course.

In The South Stand

Becoming a total liability now. Is that half a season he's missed through suspension recently?

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Well hopefully, this will serve to make them improve discipline. Most teams are decimated by injuries, if our lot don't clean up on last week's act, we'll be missing as many through suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Expected 2-3 in all honesty, so it’s about right.
    I agree. It's feels fair and proportionate in the current climate.

There are plenty of bizarre bans / decisions from the disciplinary , this is not one of them.

Tommy needs to takes his medicine and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    Well hopefully, this will serve to make them improve discipline. Most teams are decimated by injuries, if our lot don't clean up on last week's act, we'll be missing as many through suspension.
    I lost count of how many restarts Thaler gave Cas in the first half. We always seem to get done for having a hand on the ball. Why do we persist in doing it if the ref is penalising it ? Then we hear Woolf moaning about our discipline, does he not realise that he is in charge of the players ? He sets the agenda surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Becoming a total liability now. Is that half a season he's missed through suspension recently?
    Wow. Did you read that back to yourself before you posted?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Wow. Did you read that back to yourself before you posted?
    Yeah. I'm not suggesting we get rid of him, more tell him to behave himself. The Wigan in him is showing recently. Between injuries and suspension, he's been unavailable for half of the last two seasons, he needs to cut it out.