Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Sending Off

Learning All The Songs

Default Tommy Sending Off

Another Referee howler:

Tommy was a split second late and no way was that a hit to the head, hope sending off sufficient and he plays v's the pie eaters

Banned

I personally thought it was a red in the head injury obsessed era. Could’ve gone either way - if it had gone against Cas would we hear anyone going on about it ? No. I think some of the reaction on here and in the ground is nothign short of or embarrassing. Some ‘fans’ think we have a god given right to win every game - this was our first loss in months - let’s move on and bounce back like this team always does!!

Learning All The Songs

Yes it was a shoulder to the head, so yes it was a red. All we need now is consistency, but we wont get it, Lomax and Dodds will get a couple of those next week and not even a penalty will be given.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Yes it was a shoulder to the head, so yes it was a red. All we need now is consistency, but we wont get it, Lomax and Dodds will get a couple of those next week and not even a penalty will be given.
    I agree with that comment tbf only thing I don’t understand is how people are saying it wasn’t a red. There was some intent from Tommy - anyone who plays the game knows what he was doing. You’re right though we probably won’t see the same interpretation of the law in future games

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Another Referee howler:

Tommy was a split second late and no way was that a hit to the head, hope sending off sufficient and he plays v's the pie eaters

Not sure mate. Deserved red and probably a 2-3 game ban in my opinion. I thought it was reckless at best and I'm being kind there. But I'm probably wrong

Learning All The Songs

Blatant red, I thought. Late and shoulder to the head. I don't see what else it could have been.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

The frustrating thing is that this is what happens when a team play poor collectively. You play bad as a team and as a result you risk picking up knocks, frustration creeps in, mistime tackles, clumsy tackles etc. When it rains it pours. We played with a s*** attitude last night. It not only cost us the win, Makinson could be banned for a few games.
    I’m sorry but im not willing to give Cas much credit. If we turned up last night we would have won by 30. We brought it all on ourselves.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

I have watched this back now post game on Sky a number of times? Where is this conclusive shoulder to the head business? Yes, Sky morons mentioned it after obviously taking information from their analysis people who listen to the ref and video ref. Where is it? Even in slow motion? Tommy hits Evalds under his left shoulder which lifts up and rocks his head back. He’s running at full speed and knocks Evalds off his feet. Evalds falls back looks up and realises to get the penalty for late hit on playmaker (of which it is neither that) and stays on the ground. Video ref then clearly watches it back 5-6 times from one angle and gives the information to Thaler. That is never a red card, if it is the game has completely gone if you can’t hit players that hard anymore, we’ve become tick rugby.

If Evalds is hit by any shoulder at that speed he will be off for concussion test, yet he’s back up in minutes with no ill effects.

Got A Season Ticket

Cold light of day, It is a red card and a suspension. If it had happened to one of our players we would be screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Cojam24 View Post
    Cold light of day, It is a red card and a suspension. If it had happened to one of our players we would be screaming.
    It does most weeks, Fages is one of the most hit players after the ball has gone. Can’t remember the last red card given for it. Yellow is desperate enough

Learning All The Songs

as in football, players stay down to ensure the offender is given a yellow or red. Sad but true

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    It does most weeks, Fages is one of the most hit players after the ball has gone. Can’t remember the last red card given for it. Yellow is desperate enough
    It was more to do with him making no attempt to wrap the arms. It was a shoulder charge at the end of the day. Which has been outlawed for a while now.

I would say its probably out of frustration its happened. But ultimately it was a Red card offence.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Watched it back and probably a yellow for me but wouldn't argue with the red. More concerned about our lack of brains and cool heads again. If Bentley wasn't in the 17 we'd have gone on to win the game by 10. He was involved in 5/6 key penalties and got himself sin binned. I know the tub of lard didn't help but we have to play with some intelligence ffs.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    It was more to do with him making no attempt to wrap the arms. It was a shoulder charge at the end of the day. Which has been outlawed for a while now.

I would say its probably out of frustration its happened. But ultimately it was a Red card offence.
    Would you say the based on your love for the game of rugby league that was deserving of a red card?

In The South Stand

Under the current rules it was on balance a red. The question now is what the grading will be and how long the van.

I went to the toilet when the Cas player was receiving treatment following Makinson’s tackle so didn’t see Thaler dish out the red card

However it meant that I could watch it on one of the screens, it didn’t look like head contact to me. It is a shoulder charge but he hits Evalds square in the chest and rocks his head right back

If you actually did hit someone with a shoulder in the face at full speed they wouldn’t be playing again next week, never mind within two minutes of it happening

Saying that it’s still a poor tackle, but it didn’t warrant a red card

In The South Stand

The way the game is currently, it’s a red and I’ve no real issue with that.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Starting A Programme Collection

red all day long under the current laws of the game, ref had no choice

Got A Replica Shirt

Tommy must have known the ball had gone but he went in with a charge. He should have wrapped Evalds up and they both go down, this becomes a late tackle and a penalty to Cass. Now he'll get at least one game ban.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsider View Post
    Tommy must have known the ball had gone but he went in with a charge. He should have wrapped Evalds up and they both go down, this becomes a late tackle and a penalty to Cass. Now he'll get at least one game ban.

Got A Season Ticket

I don't think it was late but it was a clear shoulder charge to the head, no attempt to wrap the arms at all. Not like Tommy, fully deserved a red.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Would you say the based on your love for the game of rugby league that was deserving of a red card?
    My love for the game and the rules are two different things.

It was a solid hit by TM. But under the current rules , it was a red.

Often i view these things from the side of "if it happened to our player..." then i would want the opposition player sent off for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Watched it back and probably a yellow for me but wouldn't argue with the red. More concerned about our lack of brains and cool heads again. If Bentley wasn't in the 17 we'd have gone on to win the game by 10. He was involved in 5/6 key penalties and got himself sin binned. I know the tub of lard didn't help but we have to play with some intelligence ffs.
    This - it just needed cool heads and in the key positions. Even when we had them under the cosh in the last 10 mins, it needed a bit of creativity rather than Passi, Walmsley and Amor trying to smash through their line.

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    This - it just needed cool heads and in the key positions. Even when we had them under the cosh in the last 10 mins, it needed a bit of creativity rather than Passi, Walmsley and Amor trying to smash through their line.
    This is it. We are obsessed with ploughing down the middle. We rely purely on one man carting the ball up, no support for a pass before the line, no dummy runners, just a lone ball carrier. Most weeks it works, however games like last night where our this so called plan fails, we still don't support the ball carrier. We must be the easiest team in the league to defend against, we never vary, even the 2nd rows & centres run from out to in constantly. It's no wonder our wingers don't get ball except from 5 yards out. If a team is lying up on us, we have nothing to break them down, we don't spin it wide early, we just send Percy Kev & Tommy to get smashed time after time.

Got A Replica Shirt

Tetevano of Leeds was red carded and then banned for four games for a late tackle on Fages in April.

Makinson's wasn't as bad so shouldn't have the same sort of suspension but it was still a clear red card.