Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts Vs Cas

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    A lot of knee jerk reaction for me. We had a bad night at the office. It showed our weaknesses, Roby needs to be rotated mid game. Amor shouldn’t be near the 17 and how much we miss Morgan Knowles at 13. Luckily we are still the best team in the comp and we will be there or there abouts at the end of the season.
    What exactly is knee jerk about it? The whole attitude last night was appalling and borderline disgraceful from some.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Bentley was a disgrace tonight. Absolutely appalling attitude.

You can forgive him for being off the pace and lacking fitness, but his discipline was a joke and was a massive liability.

He needs to get better and fast.
    I agree. He was awful. He needs to rethink his attitude

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Saints got what they deserved tonight. They were out Woolfed.

There will always be games were things don't go your way.
    In these games you retain composure and go to plan B and scrap a win if necessary.

Bentley will cop a load of flak and he deserves a blast for a childish performance.
    The ref will get plenty also.

In these types of games your generals and old heads guide you through choppy waters and bring you home.
    Lomax went AWOL and Coote showed his age. Roby toiled and was visible but struggled to make an impact.
    LMS and Amor showed the difference between being 16-0 up against Wakefield and high-fiving and being in a contest.

The rest of the players stuck to the robotic script which is fine when you are out-grinding teams.

As a spectacle, if you brought a non RL friend to watch as an introduction to the greatest game,
    would your friends come back for seconds ? Unlikely which is both a Saints and a SL problem.

Another low gate.
    Perhaps winning (inc trophies) ugly and robotic is enough for cheerleaders but not to grow the fanbase.
    I couldn’t agree more. We lack imagination when we are up against it. Cas played well and we could not adapt

Learning All The Songs

Lomax and Roby have both been great players but they are passed their best and have lost a yard of pace. Welsby should move to stand off with Dodd at scrum half. We missed knowles badly. Bachelor ans Walmsley both played well but none of the other forwards stood out.

This is no longer “the greatest game” and coaches need to take note. We need to excite people not bore them to death. Too many forwards rushing in to take a tackle. Half our pivots are too slow. Our discipline breaks down under pressure. Thaler got it right last night.

We need to rebuild and we need the coach to get a decent assistant who can coach attack. I would prefer to be mid table with a young team for a season or two than watch that drivel for another year

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    A lot of knee jerk reaction for me. We had a bad night at the office. It showed our weaknesses, Roby needs to be rotated mid game. Amor shouldn’t be near the 17 and how much we miss Morgan Knowles at 13. Luckily we are still the best team in the comp and we will be there or there abouts at the end of the season.
    I think Warrington are the best team in the competition to be honest & I think they'll win it. I'm happy with the CC.

Cas came with a plan, stuck to it & deservedly won. Ollie Holmes worked his socks off.
    Give Eden a bit of credit too. Came up with a big play when it counted. Well done to Cas.

I'm confident that will give us a jolt for next week. If Wigan's pack stand up to ours, it's well and truly game on but we should be stream rolling them. Should.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

To be fair to Bentley a few of us have wanted a bit of mongrel in the team for years. Bentley’s a good player but he does tread a fine line and last night he crossed it. I’m not excusing Bentleys behaviour, but i think Thalers handling of the game played a big part in player frustration.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    To be fair to Bentley a few of us have wanted a bit of mongrel in the team for years. Bentley’s a good player but he does tread a fine line and last night he crossed it. I’m not excusing Bentleys behaviour, but i think Thalers handling of the game played a big part in player frustration.
    Yes fair point. Thaler isn’t a good ref but Saints were indisciplined and didn’t give him much choice. He should have taken control much earlier in the game but Saints were dirty last night and Cas showed us how to score tries. We couldn’t score a wide to West try now to save our lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Lomax and Roby have both been great players but they are passed their best and have lost a yard of pace. Welsby should move to stand off with Dodd at scrum half. We missed knowles badly. Bachelor ans Walmsley both played well but none of the other forwards stood out.

This is no longer “the greatest game” and coaches need to take note. We need to excite people not bore them to death. Too many forwards rushing in to take a tackle. Half our pivots are too slow. Our discipline breaks down under pressure. Thaler got it right last night.

We need to rebuild and we need the coach to get a decent assistant who can coach attack. I would prefer to be mid table with a young team for a season or two than watch that drivel for another year
    I don’t think Lomax is passed it. His game has gone downhill since Holbrook left. You could argue that none of our backs are as dangerous now as they were under Holbrook. I called it months ago but Lomax has run down more alleys, killed the ball movement and been tackled more times over the past 18 months than he has throughout his entire career. Woolf just doesn’t bring the best out of our backs and half back is the toughest position to play in a disjointed attacking team.

Yes fair point. Thaler isn’t a good ref but Saints were indisciplined and didn’t give him much choice. He should have taken control much earlier in the game but Saints were dirty last night and Cas showed us how to score tries. We couldn’t score a wide to West try now to save our lives!
    Yeh thats all fair points mate.

Learning All The Songs

I don’t think Lomax is passed it. His game has gone downhill since Holbrook left. You could argue that none of our backs are as dangerous now as they were under Holbrook. I called it months ago but Lomax has run down more alleys, killed the ball movement and been tackled more times over the past 18 months than he has throughout his entire career. Woolf just doesn’t bring the best out of our backs and half back is the toughest position to play in a disjointed attacking team.
    I think you are probably right there. Woolf isn’t an attacking coach. I hope we get a decent attack coach to help him. Maybe then Lomax will look better. After the battering he has had in his career it’s bound to take its toll sometime. Running into gaps would help but that’s not what Woolf seems to want. Woolfe doesn’t coach forwards to offload and forwards running into a wall and then playing the ball doesn’t induce open play does it. Half backs are on the end of that

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    We need two more Prop Forwards for next year.

Matty Lee's not big enough and Paassi is soft.
    Lees is a nothing player, I don't understand why people rate him. Easily dominated and makes no yards after contact.

I think you are probably right there. Woolf isn’t an attacking coach. I hope we get a decent attack coach to help him. Maybe then Lomax will look better. After the battering he has had in his career it’s bound to take its toll sometime. Running into gaps would help but that’s not what Woolf seems to want. Woolfe doesn’t coach forwards to offload and forwards running into a wall and then playing the ball doesn’t induce open play does it. Half backs are on the end of that
    Yeh mate. Half back is the most scrutinised position i think. I just hope Dodds game doesn’t suffer. We will have to wait and see. Perhaps last night was just a really bad performance. It could be a case of 2 good wins and the team fell in love with themselves.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Really enjoyed last night, reminded me of a couple of pub teams battling it out whilst struggling to keep hold of a ball. Not only up against their skill level but a ref who swallowed his whistle and some non existent self control.

The big bad wolf needs blow some houses down this morning
    Last edited by The frenchman; 13th August 2021 at 11:52.

https://youtu.be/5n3CU2mr388

Lomax 2 years ago. Plenty attacking options from back rowers who can actually run a line, dummy runners, putting players into holes, throwing dummies, stepping, scoring tries. From the moment Woolf took over his game went well downhill imo.

Starting A Programme Collection

We have said this for 18 months. His choice of when to run & when to pass has regressed under Woolf. The number of times he runs down blind alleys when there is an obvious pass is worrying.
    Our constant habit of running our second rows back into the middle also kills any ball movement, mind you, Holbrook had Payroux doing that too.
    The Wire tactic of feigning injury to stop momentum needs stamping out of RL . We are nearly at football level now for play acting & I stopped watching football when that became standard behaviour.
    I suppose that Woolf will trot out the usual platitudes, I haven't heard his interview yet, not sure I will listen to it either.

Banned

Embarrassing some of your reactions - you wouldn’t think this about the third game we’ve lost in nearly 12 months. And do me a favour with the Bentley bashing. You were all calling him the new Bateman until he left, funny that.

I couldn’t agree more. We lack imagination when we are up against it. Cas played well and we could not adapt
    Agee with your first point but I thought cas were crap as well.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by Northstand View Post
    Embarrassing some of your reactions - you wouldn’t think this about the third game we’ve lost in nearly 12 months. And do me a favour with the Bentley bashing. You were all calling him the new Bateman until he left, funny that.
    It’s all a bit knee-jerk but that’s what happens when you’ve been absolutely tanking the opposition for 4 years and you get beat by perennial also-rans.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand

Default Thoughts Vs Cas

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Cas could have and probably should have lost the game to 12 men in the end of Coote takes the right option.

A really really poor quality game - I would agree that both sides were poor, we just edged the hopeless indiscipline competition.

Dreadful game, here’s hoping it serves as a needed wake up call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

It’s all a bit knee-jerk but that’s what happens when you’ve been absolutely tanking the opposition for 4 years and you get beat by perennial also-rans.
    Correct. These people seem to forget pre Holbrook Saints. It’s a proper glory hunters mentality.

Learning All The Songs

Well, yes fair point. They were not world beaters

Learning All The Songs

I know we are successful and winning cups but bottom line I just don't enjoy watching this saints team. I used to get excited during the working day if we had a Match at night. Now I don't really feel anything.

We must make fewer passes and clean breaks than any of the other top teams. These tactics work most times as our defense strangles the life out of teams. However when we have a bad day we sometimes look so laboured and predictable. I am not saying we need to be kamikaze but a bit more variety in our attack would not go amiss. One of the few times we shifted it wide early in the count in the first half batchelor broke them open up the right.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

10 errors
    12 penalties
    Lees, Amor and LMS took 15 carries combined
    Walmsley took 16 on his own and I think nearly all of those were in his second stint

You don't win many games playing like that. Cas 15 errors and 10 penalties. Absolute amateur hour.

Learning All The Songs

last night just reaffirmed my view that Woolf staying is bad news

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    What exactly is knee jerk about it? The whole attitude last night was appalling and borderline disgraceful from some.
    Everything, this entire thread is an embarrassment. We won the challenge cup for the first time in 13 years a few weeks back. We have won back to back super leagues and are currently sitting second in super league this season. We have been beaten only three times all season in all competitions.
    People on here after a substandard performance calling for Lee’s not good enough, Passi not good enough, Bentley even Jonny Lomax is now passed it… complete Knee Jerk reactions. If we put Wigan to the sword I’m expecting comments such as how we are a great side, Lomax best player in the league. Lees outstanding, Bentley back to his impressive self… or will we get a few telling us how Wigan’s team is depleted and how we are still awful?