Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thoughts Vs Cas

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ant84 View Post
    Last night highlighted just how much we miss Knowles when he doesn't feature.
    Definitely. He's a massive leader in the middle for us, particularly defensively. There were a number of occasions where you could sense a big effort in line speed was brewing but nobody stepped up to carry us forward, Knowles would be that man.

In attack we miss his link massively too, it gives our halves just half a yard extra to work with and stops the defence holding off. I thought it was noticeable that Roby was completely goosed so between that and Knowles missing we offered very little threat to the markers and A defenders. That's why our halves looked mostly ineffectual.

Got A Season Ticket NewJerseySaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I don't think posts on a forum is really a measure of someone's support though is it? There's plenty lifelong Saints fans who won't even know this forum exists or just like to have a read now and again and don't feel the need to have their opinion heard.

The whole you've only got X many posts so you aren't a fan really is quite childish.
    Well said sir

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Due to moving house I only saw it today, but I had read all the comments on here beforehand. Must admit it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. The game was a stop start affair the whole way through with stupid penalties and handling errors from both sides. Where some of the 6 agains came from I have no idea. It seemed the slightest touch of a player after the tackle was 6 again but falling to sleep on a player before getting off was nothing. Bently was stupid and he was ineffectual, but not as reckless as I expected after the comments on here. The whole gane is suffering without scrums and with feigned injuries. It's becoming more obvious every week that the squad needs refreshing, but with the like of Welsby and the effort shown by Dodd in chasing back Eden, with Wingfield to come back as well as Knowles and Grace, along with the new recruits, I think we will still be around the top next year. I loved Wellens as a player, but with or without scrums we are crying out for an attack coach. If we can't get Long, why don't we look at Briers and have wellens working with the defence. As bad as we were, until that last interception I still thought we would win it.
    Similar just back off holiday and watched it an hour ago, reading the comments I was expecting to watch the game as though the wheels have fell off. We gave 9 penalties away in the first half and it was around the 35 min mark that Cas really threatened. The second half was a horrible stop start affair and it very much suited Cas when they went 4-14 up, Cas defended well but they "feigned" a head injury on 3 occasions in that half when Saints were pressing hard, each stoppage was near the 3 min mark.

Just looked at some of the stats because I thought despite the penalties and errors we still made a lot of ground, Saints 42 tackle busts and 4 clean breaks with Cas 26 tackle buts and 2 clean breaks. Don't think Bentley was as bad as some of the postings on here. Thought our kicking game was a bit off similar to quite a few of executions and hence ball retention.

Big improvement on discipline and composure required next week.

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I don't think posts on a forum is really a measure of someone's support though is it? There's plenty lifelong Saints fans who won't even know this forum exists or just like to have a read now and again and don't feel the need to have their opinion heard.

The whole you've only got X many posts so you aren't a fan really is quite childish.
    Couldn't agree more. Reluctant to post these days though it seems the one with anger issues has departed.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Similar just back off holiday and watched it an hour ago, reading the comments I was expecting to watch the game as though the wheels have fell off. We gave 9 penalties away in the first half and it was around the 35 min mark that Cas really threatened. The second half was a horrible stop start affair and it very much suited Cas when they went 4-14 up, Cas defended well but they "feigned" a head injury on 3 occasions in that half when Saints were pressing hard, each stoppage was near the 3 min mark.

Just looked at some of the stats because I thought despite the penalties and errors we still made a lot of ground, Saints 42 tackle busts and 4 clean breaks with Cas 26 tackle buts and 2 clean breaks. Don't think Bentley was as bad as some of the postings on here. Thought our kicking game was a bit off similar to quite a few of executions and hence ball retention.

Big improvement on discipline and composure required next week.
    It's not just about tackle busts or clean breaks though, it's about the sheer number of times that the ball is carted up by a single player who is an easy target. The lack of ambition that we showed once again is what gets people's back up, we could and can do so much better. Cas worked hard defensively but we made it too easy for them, How many balls did we drop on tackle one or 2, how often did we offload the ball ? How often did we even look to offload the ball ? The lack of skill on show is alarming, we just play a very basic game every week. I am normally an optimistic fan and get told by my mates that I am one eyed & completely biased, yet I'm questioning our performance.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    It's not just about tackle busts or clean breaks though, it's about the sheer number of times that the ball is carted up by a single player who is an easy target. The lack of ambition that we showed once again is what gets people's back up, we could and can do so much better. Cas worked hard defensively but we made it too easy for them, How many balls did we drop on tackle one or 2, how often did we offload the ball ? How often did we even look to offload the ball ? The lack of skill on show is alarming, we just play a very basic game every week. I am normally an optimistic fan and get told by my mates that I am one eyed & completely biased, yet I'm questioning our performance.
    That's it - our play is dull and safe. Most of the time, it's enough to beat lesser teams, but on occasion, when we get matched toe to toe, we struggle to break teams down. This is where we need to show something else.

Noooobie

Cas fan here.

I think this post sums it up.

The CC Final is a perfect example, if Saints play how they did on Thursday and in the first half of the CC Final they will be there or there abouts but will absolutely lose some games. However, when you play like you did in the second half of the CC final, mix your unbelievable defense with that attacking prowess, you are by far the best team in the comp (and to watch).

Woolf is a great defensive coach, but having watched and admired Saints for years (I even applauded Saint when you stuffed us at Wheldon road a few years ago as you were a joy to watch), you are in need of an attacking coach.

Thursdays game may well of been riveting for the neutral, but as a Cas fan I found it so frustrating, Thaler was poor for both. Im just glad we finally got a win at Saints as it may be the last win I see there in my lifetime.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by tigersteve View Post
    Cas fan here.

I think this post sums it up.

The CC Final is a perfect example, if Saints play how they did on Thursday and in the first half of the CC Final they will be there or there abouts but will absolutely lose some games. However, when you play like you did in the second half of the CC final, mix your unbelievable defense with that attacking prowess, you are by far the best team in the comp (and to watch).

Woolf is a great defensive coach, but having watched and admired Saints for years (I even applauded Saint when you stuffed us at Wheldon road a few years ago as you were a joy to watch), you are in need of an attacking coach.

Thursdays game may well of been riveting for the neutral, but as a Cas fan I found it so frustrating, Thaler was poor for both. Im just glad we finally got a win at Saints as it may be the last win I see there in my lifetime.
    I thought Cas deserved the win. Neither team played well but Cas we’re the better team. Cas showed more attacking ability than we did in my opinion.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I don’t want to take anything away from Cas but i thought we deserved to lose more than Cas deserved to win. If a team finally end a winning drought of that length they should really have to earn it but Cas were nothing special.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

I've just watched the tries from the Wakefield Wire game. We can only dream of scoring some of the tries that both teams came up with. Offloads galore, supporting the ball carrier, options on both sides of the ball. If Wakey can manage to promote the ball & play with such freedom, why can't we ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_saint View Post
    i've just watched the tries from the wakefield wire game. We can only dream of scoring some of the tries that both teams came up with. Offloads galore, supporting the ball carrier, options on both sides of the ball. If wakey can manage to promote the ball & play with such freedom, why can't we ?
    orders!

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I thought Cas deserved the win. Neither team played well but Cas we’re the better team. Cas showed more attacking ability than we did in my opinion.
    Agree. We got turned over. Cas dug in and deserved it. I think they'll make top 6.

As for us, I expect a response on Friday because Wigan certainly will turn up

Noooobie

For those who put trophies above all else, it is clear that there are 2 more trophies this season going begging, reason being .........
    Price switched off a long time ago and just wants to get back to Australia so Warrington will continue to underperform given the talent they have.
    If Catalans win anything, it will confirm that the current overall standard of SL is the worst ever( and probably many years before).
    As for the others............!
    Only leaves Saints realistically. If Woolf can forget that the grind is not the only way, Saints are the best team in the competition.
    If they win anything playing the current way, I won't get a lot of joy from any trophy win.

Noooobie

Think the team is looking stale at the minute there has been no changes in the 17 for a while now and think this is why for the loss on Friday. There only seem to be Wingfield that could possibly push a number of the forward out of the team at the minute. Think he’s back this week so let’s see if wolfy make any changes.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Forber View Post
    For those who put trophies above all else, it is clear that there are 2 more trophies this season going begging, reason being .........
    Price switched off a long time ago and just wants to get back to Australia so Warrington will continue to underperform given the talent they have.
    If Catalans win anything, it will confirm that the current overall standard of SL is the worst ever( and probably many years before).
    As for the others............!
    Only leaves Saints realistically. If Woolf can forget that the grind is not the only way, Saints are the best team in the competition.
    If they win anything playing the current way, I won't get a lot of joy from any trophy win.
    Well said Joe, neither will I. I would rather win than lose but mainly I want to see rugby league, not the current stuff. I think this team has it in them to play better attacking rugby though. To be fair our defence is pretty incredible but its not fun to watch when we've got he ball. I agree that the overall standard of the league is poor but I'm sure Covid plays its part in that. It's been a strange couple of seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Think the team is looking stale at the minute there has been no changes in the 17 for a while now and think this is why for the loss on Friday. There only seem to be Wingfield that could possibly push a number of the forward out of the team at the minute. Think he’s back this week so let’s see if wolfy make any changes.
    There is zero chance of Wingfield playing against the pies on Friday.

Learning All The Songs

There is zero chance of Wingfield playing against the pies on Friday.
    I agree. This team pretty much picks itself which is part of the problem!