Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 21 man squad v Castleford

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

We were in charge of that game comfortably until Bentley came on. I'm not one to bag the officials but that fat lump of lard in the middle gave a perfect example of how not to control a game.

Major concern is how poor and one dimensional our attack is clearly playing to a pattern which sometimes just doesn;t work. Having said all that we should have won with a couple of cool heads somewhere.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Going to get the ref bit out of the way first because he isn’t why we lost. He was terrible, so inconsistent with the set restarts. Cas got away with murder but then he would give them against us for seemingly nothing. He lost control at times.

However we were disgraceful. Everything we did was half-hearted and lacking intensity. Our carries, our defence and our attitude all seemed way off the levels we are normally at. The Coote missed tackle for the Holmes try for example; that kind of thing almost never happens. We made some really poor errors and our discipline was atrocious.

Bentley was a massive liability. You can forgive him being off the pace and unfit but his discipline and attitude was shocking. He needs to get up to speed and quick or else I don’t want to see him in a Saints shirt again.

Such a frustrating defeat as it basically makes last weeks win a bit pointless. We have undone that hard work with a sloppy, uncharacteristic and way below-par performance that has really shocked me to be honest.

I didn’t think we had a performance that bad in us anymore.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

It’s hard to play well if the other team is gifted 18 tackle sets all game to be fair, that type of pressure and fatigue gets to you eventually

Strangely enough I’ve been catching up with some games this week and watched a Leeds v Salford game where Thaler reffed just yesterday. I’ll be honest, I don’t advocate abuse of officials but if I’d have been a Salford player I’d have punched him square in the chops by half time

He was almost as bad tonight, reffing to an agenda of his own making, losing control of the game completely less than 10 minutes in. The dust ups in the second half were inevitable with the way things had gone, in a land without law people decide what goes themselves

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

An awful night for is that one.

The 1st half we just went through the motions. We didn't start well but managed to hold Cas off and nudge ourselves in front. Cas deserved to go in just ahead on the balance of the 1st half but there wasn't a great deal in it. Our discipline and handling let us down but we created a few chances and breaks from our own half. The big problem was out blunt attack on their line. Welsby's try apart we offered very little threat whenever we got near their line.

The 2nd half we just got worse and once Bentley came on our discipline went to pieces. How many penalties and 6 agains did he give away tonight? One of the worst individual performances I've seen in a long time. He was very very indisciplined and it cost us badly. Absolutely brain-dead performance from him, dreadful. The teams handling was also very poor 2nd half, whenever we built any pressure we released it by dropping the ball in the tackle. It was very frustrating as the game was there for the taking in the 2nd half if we had just rwspected the possession.

We played well once we went down to 11 men and we're 14-4 down, simply not good enough to win that tonight and we deserved to lose.

As for Thaler, a truly awful refereeing display for both sides. He just didn't let the game flow whatsoever. It was very stop start, lots of penalties, lots of 6 agains and made it an even more frustrating night. He just isn't fit enough to keep up with the play so guesses on alot of ocassions. A good referee is someone you barely notice, but you can fail to notice Thaler.

A night to forget and we will have to improve dramatically if we are to win next week. Hopefully a returning Morgan Knowles and Regan Grace will improve our fortunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket

We were bad from 1-17 but Thaler was terrible. Cas lying on a lot in 1st/2nd tackle and just having the set restart also really punished us. Certainly feels like some teams are really taking advantage of that rule

Must say it f*****d me off that it took being down to 11 to make us look interested

Default 21 man squad v Castleford

That was frustrating, to say the least.

Out of all the reffing, the thing that annoyed me most was that Makinson made a clean break on tackle 1, and they just held him down till their defence was set. Thaler gave a set restart instead of a penalty. It’s no wonder the game has got more boring, as there are so many ways to stop the game and get your defence in order these days. Attacking teams are always up against a fully set defence.

But we were poor tonight. Off the pace physically, and just woeful in terms of discipline and respecting possession. Aside from the penalty/restart count I think I counted four occasions when we dropped the ball cold on tackle 1. You can’t do that and expect to win against a decent side.

The less said about our attack, the better.

One of those.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    An awful night for is that one.

The 1st half we just went through the motions. We didn't start well but managed to hold Cas off and nudge ourselves in front. Cas deserved to go in just ahead on the balance of the 1st half but there wasn't a great deal in it. Our discipline and handling let us down but we created a few chances and breaks from our own half. The big problem was out blunt attack on their line. Welsby's try apart we offered very little threat whenever we got near their line.

The 2nd half we just got worse and once Bentley came on our discipline went to pieces. How many penalties and 6 agains did he give away tonight? One of the worst individual performances I've seen in a long time. He was very very indisciplined and it cost us badly. Absolutely brain-dead performance from him, dreadful. The teams handling was also very poor 2nd half, whenever we built any pressure we released it by dropping the ball in the tackle. It was very frustrating as the game was there for the taking in the 2nd half if we had just rwspected the possession.

We played well once we went down to 11 men and we're 14-4 down, simply not good enough to win that tonight and we deserved to lose.

As for Thaler, a truly awful refereeing display for both sides. He just didn't let the game flow whatsoever. It was very stop start, lots of penalties, lots of 6 agains and made it an even more frustrating night. He just isn't fit enough to keep up with the play so guesses on alot of ocassions. A good referee is someone you barely notice, but you can fail to notice Thaler.

A night to forget and we will have to improve dramatically if we are to win next week. Hopefully a returning Morgan Knowles and Regan Grace will improve our fortunes.
    He can't let it flow though when each team is so indisciplined,he can't just let obvious penalties go. He should of binned players earlier though and stamped his authority on the game,he was very James Childs'esque tonight in letting it go on far to long,that being said we played dumb and as you say we deserved to lose.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    The 3 overseas players are dreadful get rid of them all
    If Scarsbrook turned 40 tomorrow i think i would still throw him a jersey before Mateatowel.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by St Nel View Post
    We were bad from 1-17 but Thaler was terrible. Cas lying on a lot in 1st/2nd tackle and just having the set restart also really punished us. Certainly feels like some teams are really taking advantage of that rule

Must say it f*****d me off that it took being down to 11 to make us look interested
    It felt like I was watching Wigan - poor discipline and grubby ! I think Thaler had a tough job last night , he must have felt like he was referring a pub team game .

Was a horror show