Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will Hopoate - Confirmed

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    It's easy for the Doggies fans to slate him, but their team has been absolute horsesh*t for the last 2 seasons.

Look at the likes of Kyle Flanagan and Nick Cotric, both looked great for Roosters & Canberra respectively, but have looked very average in the Bulldogs side... I wonder why.

Woolf obviously knows what he is about and he was captain of the Tongan national side. I'm not saying he is going to rip up SL but he has a decent pair of hands which will benefit Tommy Mak and he is versatile, so let's wait and see, hey!
    I'm not massively excited about Hopoate, it seems his form has declined somewhat. But we've got to bear in mind who he's replacing. Kev Naiqama has been great for us I think, really solid and puts the effort in. But he's not a Lyon/Gidley/Newlove type player who scores from 80m every other week. I think Hopoate can fill his boots well and perhaps even add a little to our attack. I don't see it as a bad move as a like for like.

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Willie talau Derek mcveigh

In The South Stand

looking forward to seeing how he goes - welcome Will!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

The fact they have worked together before is a massive positive in my book. The will both know what standards are expected of each other.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

I said I though this was the way that Saints would go... The coach knows him well, he's an experienced player and can cover some of the key positions which Saints were looking short for numbers in, so full back and in the halves (at 6 according to Woolf's comments). From what I've seen of him, he does have a good pair of hands and will put his winger/Makinson away.

I've already commented that I haven't seen a lot of strike from him in terms of tries, the ability to make something happen and the stats back that up. Yes he's playing in a struggling side, but that doesn't mean he can't score tries, bust tackles, show good speed and so on. For example Nick Meaney has stood out and was also off contract. He's been snapped up by Melbourne. As I've also said before, the NRL and SL are different competitions and he may well find he has more time and space over here.

Saint Toppy, you've likened the signing to Ryan Morgan and I remember he came over with a lot of expectation and he struggled to provide strike. That didn't matter too much when Ben Barba was full back and provided that in spades! Thus could be a big onus on Welsby and Dodd to provide the spark. Tesi Niu who you suggested, would have been an exciting signing I agree because he does provide strike, but the reality is that Saints couldn't lure a player like that away from the NRL at this moment in time and he will be re-signed at Brisbane. The Hopoate signing is probably the best that Saints could do in these times, given that the club needed to bring a back in straight away for 2022.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Hope i'm proved wrong but he's been garbage for years in the NRL so I don't hold out much hope for him in the Red V. A huge step down from Naiquama and more like a Ryan Morgan bargain basement signing
    Absolutely rubbish. Morgan was a player that could never hold down an nrl place. Hopiate is a former origin player,is an international and has played 172 nrl games to date.

Learning All The Songs

Give the guy a chance.
    I think he will go well. Anyone that has worked with Woolf will Surely know what is expected.

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Great signing in my opinion, but I'm only a Leigh supporter. Hope he goes well for you guys....

Learning All The Songs

Some of the comments about this lad is stupid, give the lad a break and judge him when he plays for us. I think he'll kill it over here in a sub standard competition to the NRL. Rather have Hopoate to Wigans signing Thornley

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Not seen a lot of him but what I have seen he'll do a decent job.

Obviously Woolfe has worked with him before and thinks he's a good fit with the rest of the team.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Absolutely rubbish. Morgan was a player that could never hold down an nrl place. Hopiate is a former origin player,is an international and has played 172 nrl games to date.
    To be fair, Saint Toppys assessment is bang on. He has been terrible for a few seasons. He has no pace anymore, no footwork and has forgotten how to pass.

That said, I am willing to judge him on how he gets on here in a lesser comp.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Serious question as I don't watch much NRL. Is Toby King better than Hopoate? Everyone seemed happy with the rumour that we were chasing King, but 50/50 on Hopoate.. King is a decent centre but he is not a Newlove, Lyon etc.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    Great signing in my opinion, but I'm only a Leigh supporter. Hope he goes well for you guys....
    That was one hard game for your lads on Sunday Budgiezilla , however HKR have been going well and I'm certain they didn't expect the effort from the whole of your team . Kurt seems to have got them in the right frame of mind , young Eaves seemed to go well , how is he going , I yous't to love going to the games on a Sunday however with 'covid' and a bit of a problem I have I can't attend live matches.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    To be fair, Saint Toppys assessment is bang on. He has been terrible for a few seasons. He has no pace anymore, no footwork and has forgotten how to pass.
    You could say that for most of the Bulldog players they have been pants since Trent Barrett took over. I think they have Mick Potter dealing with the Junior Pathway to the Dogs and some say its nots working, he didn't do much for us either. Its no suprise that they have Phil Gould to do a complete rebuild there. Have they been any good since Jammer left?
    Last edited by STIDDY; 10th August 2021 at 08:53.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Serious question as I don't watch much NRL. Is Toby King better than Hopoate? Everyone seemed happy with the rumour that we were chasing King, but 50/50 on Hopoate.. King is a decent centre but he is not a Newlove, Lyon etc.
    Nobody will be able to give an answer with any great meaning to this.
    Whilst Hopoate who has not hugely shone in an NRL basement team playing up against other top centres such as Joseph Manu, Jarrod Crocker , Stephen Critchten, zac lomax and the like.
    Toby King has been turning out for one of the better Super League teams playing against the likes of Ian Thornley, Carlos Tuamaivave, Peter Mautautia and the like.
    Difference being, King is proven playing in this comp and Hopoate is not. Only time will tell if he’s a good signing. One thing that does go in Hopoate’s favour on paper is his ability to cover several positions across the back.

Good centre and skilful passer...just need to get the ball out in improved attacking strategies. Tommywill benefit.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    All that was years ago. When he burst onto the scene at Manly he looked a fabulous player and his debut season was arguably the best of his entire career. His last 3-4 years he's been absolutely awful with the Doggies finishing at or near the bottom in all of them. Just because the players around him are playing poorly is no excuse for him to also be playing poorly. Poor defensive reads, missed tackles a complete lack of tackle busts, not scoring or creating try's is all down to him as an individual.
    As i've said previously I hope he proves me wrong and Woolf can bring out the Hopoate of years ago, but IMO I think we've signed a donkey.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post

There's not many are I think we were privileged to watch those two

In The South Stand

Moley says he will kill it in Super league.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    He looks way older than 29. Another Stanley Gene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can't go on looks, I look way over 29 too but what is 42 years in the great scheme of things. A few days training and a bit of muscle toning and I'd be another Baloo.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

All that was years ago. When he burst onto the scene at Manly he looked a fabulous player and his debut season was arguably the best of his entire career. His last 3-4 years he's been absolutely awful with the Doggies finishing at or near the bottom in all of them. Just because the players around him are playing poorly is no excuse for him to also be playing poorly. Poor defensive reads, missed tackles a complete lack of tackle busts, not scoring or creating try's is all down to him as an individual.
    As i've said previously I hope he proves me wrong and Woolf can bring out the Hopoate of years ago, but IMO I think we've signed a donkey.
    That doesn't sound right I,m pretty sure sure he got club player of the year and was in some sort of dream team less than 2 years ago. He's only gone donkey downhill like a few others since coach Barrett and Furner took over at the club. You would think he's coming to a club with a better structure on and off the field than the Bulldogs.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    That doesn't sound right I,m pretty sure sure he got club player of the year and was in some sort of dream team less than 2 years ago. He's only gone donkey downhill like a few others since coach Barrett and Furner took over at the club. You would think he's coming to a club with a better structure on and off the field than the Bulldogs.
    https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/201...r-of-the-year/

1) NRL sponsorship deals always seem hilarious and I have no idea why
    2) Bulldogs fans have only really started complaining about Hopoate this year, and really there could be 100 reasons for that, including them just being worse overall when there were expectations that they should have been better this year.
    3) He had an offer to stay in the NRL, so its not even a "Coote style" - no other options signing.

I really cannot understand the negativity around the signing. I get "its not exciting as its like for like" - but that "like for like" is with a player who has significantly contributed to the 2 League Leaders, 2 Grand Finals and Challenge Cup win since he's been here - thats a pretty awesome standard for us to maintain. I went back and looked at posts around the time Naiqama was announced, and other than concern on him being Barba's replacement, as a fan base we just seemed ecstatic to not be linked with Liam Finn...

We have flopped with on paper signings before, and had cult favourites from unknown aussies. Every signing comes with an element of risk, but I trust Woolf to get the best out of Hopoate, and the best out of Hopoate is probably in the top 3 centres in the country. If Woolf cant get the best out of him, thats on Woolf, and its on Josh Simm to get his shirt. Win win all round.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    You could say that for most of the Bulldog players they have been pants since Trent Barrett took over. I think they have Mick Potter dealing with the Junior Pathway to the Dogs and some say its nots working, he didn't do much for us either. Its no suprise that they have Phil Gould to do a complete rebuild there. Have they been any good since Jammer left?
    To be fair to Barrett the Bulldogs have been a laughing stock long before Barrett took over.

Im hardly enthused we have signed a player from a side that is basically the NRL equivalent of Leigh. We all know the standard excuses but Id rather have gone with Simm than Hopoate who has been poor for a while.

Noooobie

He’s worth a punt and will go better in a more successful team. His versatility is a huge bonus.

He does play Sundays - that was sorted in his latest Bulldogs contract.

In The South Stand

His origin was a while ago you are correct in that,however had the world cup of been going ahead he would of been playing in that. The dogs have been awful in general,just because you finish in a team near the bottom doesn't mean you are a bad player. And yes if the players around him are playing poorly then that really is an excuse for him to look poor. Poor defensive reads can often be caused by the players inside not being reliable and you then have to factor that into your play,as can missed tackles to a degree as you are not in the right place due to lack of confidence on your inside. The lack of tackle busts or creating trys can be down to poor play from the halves,being slow to give him the ball,giving him the ball in no space ect,add to that the state of the dog's pack and it isn't hard to see why the outside players struggle there.

Put him into our team and team culture and i'm sure we will see a far different player.