Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Catalans

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 21 man squad v Catalans

IN: Regan Grace, Agnatius Paasi, Josh Simm, Sam Royle
    OUT: Matty Lees, Josh Eaves, Matty Foster

SAINTS 21 MAN SQUAD

1. Lachlan Coote, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 4. Mark Percival, 5, Regan Grace, 6, Jonny Lomax, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 11. Joel Thompson, 13, Morgan Knowles, 14. Sione Mata’utia, 15. LMS, 16. Kyle Amor, 17, Agnatius Paasi, 18. Jack Welsby, 19, Aaron Smith, 20, Joe Batchelor, 21. Lewis Dodd, 22, Josh Simm, 25. Dan Norman, 30. Sam Royle.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2021/08/0...turn-to-squad/
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I can see Smith being axed this week with Welsby dropping to the bench, which seems bizarre after scoring a hattrick. I just can't see him dropping any of the regular 1-5 though.

Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Dodd
    Walmsley
    Roby
    LMS
    Batchelor
    Thompson
    Knowles

Welsby
    Matautia
    Amor
    Paasi

Strong side!

Starting A Programme Collection

Kev out welsby at centre for me, agree with rest of your team though

big game this , win and I fancy us for LLS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I can see Smith being axed this week with Welsby dropping to the bench, which seems bizarre after scoring a hattrick. I just can't see him dropping any of the regular 1-5 though.

Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Dodd
    Walmsley
    Roby
    LMS
    Batchelor
    Thompson
    Knowles

Welsby
    Matautia
    Amor
    Paasi

Strong side!
    Agree. Funny how we now struggle to find a spot for possibly one of our best players in the starting lineup. I’m a big fan of Dodd but this will be a big test for him. I’m expecting a bit of a ding dong battle.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post

I think this is just step 1 for us getting the LLS - if we win we will still need to win the Magic weekend game as well, where as if we lose, it’s Catalans trophy to lose…

Coote
    Makinson Naiqama Percival Grace
    Lomax Dodd
    Walmsley Roby LMS
    Mata’utia Batchelor
    Knowles

Welsby Thompson Amor Paasi

Noooobie

Really strong squad but for me Matautia needs to be back starting on an edge, far more effective than coming off the bench through the middle but I can understand Woolf not wanting to drop anyone.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

At the end of the day, it's a 17 man game and unless you're a replacement hooker, that usually means a lot of game time, especially for a man who can pretty much play anywhere bar 8-12.

I would rather go with our first choice three quarter line with the option to bring Welsby in to any of the back roles (or loose) to affect things at different times. There is no way Naiqama would be on the bench if left out, so this gives us that extra back, but one that can play further up field if needed, or go to half, whilst shifting Dodd to hooker if and when Roby tires.
    Last edited by DD; 5th August 2021 at 12:50.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Time to put a real marker down, I'm looking forward to this

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I reckon we will see Welsby come off the bench after 20 mins to play Loose Foward and stay there for the rest of the game if we stay injury free in the backs. We can probably rotate the forwards a bit better then to keep energy levels up. Also hopefully if we have the game won by the 70 min mark take Coote off for Welsby to go Full Back to score one of the last seconds trademark specials.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Agree. Funny how we now struggle to find a spot for possibly one of our best players in the starting lineup. I’m a big fan of Dodd but this will be a big test for him. I’m expecting a bit of a ding dong battle.
    What a great position to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    At the end of the day, it's a 17 man game and unless you're a replacement hooker, that usually means a lot of game time, especially for a man who can pretty much player anywhere bar 8-12.

I would rather go with our first choice three quarter line with the option to bring Welsby in to any of the back roles (or loose) to affect things at different times. There is no way Naiqama would be on the bench if left out, so this gives us that extra back, but one that can play further up field if needed, or go to half, whilst shifting Dodd to hooker if and when Roby tires.
    I agree. Welsby can come on and affect/influence the game in different ways depending what is required, as he proved at Wembley. He's a fantastic option off the bench. My comment about it being bizarre was more in reference to how it'll look from the outside; he gets 3 tries, MOM and then is "dropped" to the bench. But it's completely understandable.

1. Lachlan Coote,
    2. Tommy Makinson,
    3. Kevin Naiqama,
    4. Mark Percival,
    5, Regan Grace,
    6, Jonny Lomax,
    21. Lewis Dodd

8. Alex Walmsley,
    9. James Roby,
    15. LMS
    11. Joel Thompson,
    20, Joe Batchelor
    13, Morgan Knowles,

14. Sione Mata’utia
    16. Kyle Amor,
    17, Agnatius Paasi,
    18. Jack Welsby,

19, Aaron Smith,
    22, Josh Simm,
    25. Dan Norman,
    30. Sam Royle.

As others have said Welsby deserves to be in the starting 13 but offers to much from the bench to do anything else. He will get involved at some point anyway and will start next year so no rush.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post

Kev’s had two big games in the last two matches. I wouldn’t drop him. There’s bound to be a time when Welsby is needed in this game so let’s have him in the bench to keep all options open.

Dragons have a few missing. Drinkwater, Kasiano rested. T Davies, Bousquet, Whitley, Garcia, Baltieri and Romano injured.

I think Catalans are there for the taking on Saturday. They've had a great start to the season but they have sailed close to the wind a few times lately and better sides would've finished them off from the positions Wakefield and Hull KR got themselves into. Catalans are also missing a few, including Drinkwater and Kasiano from last week.

We can't take them lightly of course but I fancy us. Tomkins is the obvious danger to close down but if we do that then I think we will have too much power through the middle and too much class on the edges. Saints by 8-12.
    Last edited by The Yellow Giraffe; 5th August 2021 at 13:26.

I just hope we don’t get dragged down to their level when they try to be disruptive. Our discipline will be key.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I just hope we don’t get dragged down to their level when they try to be disruptive. Our discipline will be key.
    Its not us we have to worry about being dragged down to their level. Its the refs responsibility to not allow that to happen. If he allows it to happen, it could end up being a long day.

I fancy us for the win though.

Noooobie

This is a question - Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Welsby goes to 6 with Lomax at 7 to "protect Dodd" in this game or is it just get out there and prove you can do it against a slightly weakend Catalan team? Big game this as far as the LLS is concerned and momentum for the rest of the season (states the obvious LOL)

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Trionrugby View Post
    This is a question - Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Welsby goes to 6 with Lomax at 7 to "protect Dodd" in this game or is it just get out there and prove you can do it against a slightly weakend Catalan team? Big game this as far as the LLS is concerned and momentum for the rest of the season (states the obvious LOL)
    Nah. I think we've managed it quite well drip feeding him into the team and exposing him to the defensive aspects from hooker. If he's going to be targeted in defense or when kicking then that's something he's going to have to get used to. Might as well start now.

If he's targeted and struggles it's still a learning experience for the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Trionrugby View Post
    I would be surprised if he took Dodd out after 1 game. Woolf said prior to the game this was his chance to make the shirt his now and then he was full of praise for him afterwards. So I think it would send the completely wrong message to change him straight away. Hull are a physical side and Woolf had no concerns there; I'm not sure Catalans are going to be that much more aggressive or physical.

Noooobie

I would be surprised if he took Dodd out after 1 game. Woolf said prior to the game this was his chance to make the shirt his now and then he was full of praise for him afterwards. So I think it would send the completely wrong message to change him straight away. Hull are a physical side and Woolf had no concerns there; I'm not sure Catalans are going to be that much more aggressive or physical.
    I agree its his time to really go for it now. Welsby is a gem though isnt he :-)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Agreed, Woolf has also said Welsby will get some game time at full back. The games against Castleford, Leigh and Salford are the games where we can rotate players in, the games against Catalan x2, Wigan, Leeds and Warrington we should go full whack and if that means Welsby on the bench for those games then so be it.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Agreed, Woolf has also said Welsby will get some game time at full back. The games against Castleford, Leigh and Salford are the games where we can rotate players in, the games against Catalan x2, Wigan, Leeds and Warrington we should go full whack and if that means Welsby on the bench for those games then so be it.
    I just don't really get the concept that welsby is not in our full strength team. We look twice the team when he is on the pitch. For me he is first name on the team sheet. I appreciate that he will play every game next season but I find it baffling that he is being left on the bench. Have Percival and naigama done enough this season to keep him out at centre.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    I just don't really get the concept that welsby is not in our full strength team. We look twice the team when he is on the pitch. For me he is first name on the team sheet. I appreciate that he will play every game next season but I find it baffling that he is being left on the bench. Have Percival and naigama done enough this season to keep him out at centre.

Woolf has usually got his selections bob on, Percival and Naiqama are playing pretty well in their natural positions. Welsby will very likely get at least 60 mins in every game now , if coming off the bench it will be advantageous playing against a tired defence. Its great he can cover every backline position and loose forward, if we are winning by a good margin late in the game then sub Lomax or Coote.

Lots of rugby to play in the next couple of months, we don't need to flog everyone at the moment and that goes for Welsby as well, others need plenty of game time in Smith, Batchelor and Dodd to progress further.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Woolf has usually got his selections bob on, Percival and Naiqama are playing pretty well in their natural positions. Welsby will very likely get at least 60 mins in every game now , if coming off the bench it will be advantageous playing against a tired defence. Its great he can cover every backline position and loose forward, if we are winning by a good margin late in the game then sub Lomax or Coote. Lots of rugby to play the next couple of months, we don't need to flog everyone at the moment and that goes for Welsby as well, others need plenty of game in Smith, Batchelor and Dodd to progress further.
    Yes agree with all of this too.