Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Catalans Game.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    I've 'bigged' Dodd up probably more than anyone , could I ask did he play well , I couldn't watch or listen to the game unfortunately today where I am .
    Saints gave him MOM

In The South Stand

SKY got one thing right, naming Dodd man of the match. Good performance, even when scratchy in attack our talent made something out of nothing. Moore is the best ref in the league although he got the sin binning of our guy wrong, since his contact was almost instantaneous with the release of the ball. Aside from that, all good stuff. Dodd is a revelation after Theos workmanlike shifts and the future looks good. Reagan and Tommy as explosive as we might expect and Lomax and Robes reading the game as they do as top class players, likewise Coote. Good stuff from the forwards as usual, laying the platforms and following up chances as Amor has recently and Batchelor, possibly our most improved player did today. Awful commentary from Bill Arthur with his sneering "champions" remark in the second half and his sheer inability to acknowledge that Saints are actually a good team! Onwards and upwards, COYS!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Excellent. Very good kicking game both short and long. Took on the line as well with some great footwork and a couple of really good pieces of heads up rugby for his own try and the one he made for Coote.
    I wondered who set up the try for Coote wasn't sure if it was Dodd at the time.

That Catalan side must be the softest team we,ve come across, going down with injuries near enough every other set. I knew they would try to slow us down in the 2nd half but I didn't think they would drop down like flies, thought the ref was a bit sympathetic with their struggle to absorb impacts from our tackles.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Ive watched a lot of reserve games and Dodd's only scratching the surface of what he can do. He could be as good as Sean Long.
    Learned comment from The Don

We really bullied them I thought and really got stuck in to them and got in their faces. Knowles' hit in the first half was a beauty.

No idea how Thompson's hit was a penalty, was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Mata'utai's 'late hit' on their ball carrier was a joke call too, let alone a sin bin.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    That is such a bullshit call. Watch it at full speed and he hits him half a second after the ball is gone. Don’t ever try and tell me that refs don’t have a mandate to even up one sided games.
    Spot on. Even in slow motion he still has hold of the ball when Matautia is a yard and half away. If he dummies Matautia doesn’t make the tackle and then he goes 50 yards people will query why he doesn’t make the tackle.

Starting A Programme Collection

Thought Dodd did great. I was really impressed with his kicking. Although it didn't stand out as amazing, it was very good and, most impressively, it looked absolutely effortless. He played really well all round but we need a good kicking game especially with Coote leaving.

In The South Stand

I agree with scouse i am another one of those who have been wanting him in the team , roy Litherland all the best and Dodd was only starting today and is going to get better

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    We really bullied them I thought and really got stuck in to them and got in their faces. Knowles' hit in the first half was a beauty.

No idea how Thompson's hit was a penalty, was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Mata'utai's 'late hit' on their ball carrier was a joke call too, let alone a sin bin.
    Some terrible calls from Moore today. As for our performance, I cannot speak highly enough of us at the moment. Slightly worried that our defence on the goal line seems to drop off but I'm really being picky there. Our short kicking game has come on tremendously recently. Our pack is functioning as a unit & we are physically dominating teams. The only team we have to worry about in this competition is Warrington.

I have never seen such a bunch of whingeing, moaning, soft arses as Catalans today. Maloney crying to the ref every 5 minutes.

They are heading for a serious hiding again in the play offs. Overhyped bully boys. Garbage outfit

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Some terrible calls from Moore today. As for our performance, I cannot speak highly enough of us at the moment. Slightly worried that our defence on the goal line seems to drop off but I'm really being picky there. Our short kicking game has come on tremendously recently. Our pack is functioning as a unit & we are physically dominating teams. The only team we have to worry about in this competition is Warrington.

I have never seen such a bunch of whingeing, moaning, soft arses as Catalans today. Maloney crying to the ref every 5 minutes.

They are heading for a serious hiding again in the play offs. Overhyped bully boys
    . Garbage outfit
    They are a product of their sulky, petulant, arrogant coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    They are a product of their sulky, petulant, arrogant coach.
    Didn't even think of that. Spot on

Moore clearly got our sin binning wrong when he said it was the same as theirs, ours was an attempted tackle on a ball carrier, they hit a player that hadn’t even touched the ball and wasn’t expecting contact

The fact that he can’t see the difference makes you think of the old saying - understands the rules but doesn’t understand the game

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Whilst I thought the Matatuia decision was harsh, it was consistent by Moore having sin binned one of their players first half for the same offence. I don’t like the late hit when a player is vulnerable and if they get the majority correct, I can live with the odd mistake. The decision against Thompson was ridiculous.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsaregods View Post
    Whilst I thought the Matatuia decision was harsh, it was consistent by Moore having sin binned one of their players first half for the same offence. I don’t like the late hit when a player is vulnerable and if they get the majority correct, I can live with the odd mistake. The decision against Thompson was ridiculous.
    But it wasn’t consistent that’s the problem. Equal outcome doesn’t mean consistency.

The Catalans player had the ball, the Saints player didn’t
    The Catalans player was so late the ball was with the next man, the Saints player was 2 frames on the ultra slow mo.

Both of those things have a major impact on the outcome, and yet the result was the same.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by djh1972 View Post
    Thought Dodd did great. I was really impressed with his kicking. Although it didn't stand out as amazing, it was very good and, most impressively, it looked absolutely effortless. He played really well all round but we need a good kicking game especially with Coote leaving.
    He had a great game

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    But it wasn’t consistent that’s the problem. Equal outcome doesn’t mean consistency.

The Catalans player had the ball, the Saints player didn’t
    The Catalans player was so late the ball was with the next man, the Saints player was 2 frames on the ultra slow mo.

Both of those things have a major impact on the outcome, and yet the result was the same.
    Like I said, I can live with the odd mistake if the majority are correct. I also said it was harsh, the main point was regarding late hits.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    The game in Perpignan was close, another ten minutes and I think we’d have won so certainly no fear here. We are playing better than we were, and the confidence should be high after the CC as it’s our homecoming match.

COYS!
    I was working so just watched the recording.

I was confident but didn’t expect THAT!
    Last edited by RJM25R; 7th August 2021 at 19:59.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I'm only watching it now but it's a very impressive performance.
    Dodd has straitened our attack up and all of a sudden players have more space. I've no idea where Welsby is playing but but I like the idea of a free role where he just plays.

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I'm only watching it now but it's a very impressive performance.
    Dodd has straitened our attack up and all of a sudden players have more space. I've no idea where Welsby is playing but but I like the idea of a free role where he just plays.

Think he was at 13. Well, of a fashion

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

On the referee, I would take this guy every single time over Hinge or Bracket.
    Every official in every sport makes calls someone will disagree with, but you can't doubt he's calling them as he sees them and doesn't have certain agenda

Noooobie

Have you noticed when we put ina performance with some attacking flair and dominance the naysayers go missing?

Where are you Saddened?
    Where are you Despondent Dave?

Noooobie

Good marker for the play offs.

Sets up for at least top two.

No Challenge Cup hangover. COYS

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Can we borrow Lewis Dodd please, or do you need him because Theo Fages is injured ?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

We've been very good the last two games. Our aggression in defence is incredible, it sets the early tone for how we play the game and we're dominating our opponents from the get go. I'd love to see that Morgan Knowles hit again, absolutely brutal the way he defends.

I've not seen alot of Lewis Dodd but he's been really good in the last two games and you can see why Saints see him as a future star. Were very lucky that we have him and Welsby. Dodd is raw in parts of his game but I like the way he runs at the defence and plays on instinct. It just makes us a little bit more threatening with the ball. Roby, Lomax and Coote provide the calm, cool and composure so I'm happy for Dodd to just play what he sees and try things. Fages has been good for us, he's always a solid competitor but his injury and departure next season could be a blessing for us in the long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Moore clearly got our sin binning wrong when he said it was the same as theirs, ours was an attempted tackle on a ball carrier, they hit a player that hadn’t even touched the ball and wasn’t expecting contact

The fact that he can’t see the difference makes you think of the old saying - understands the rules but doesn’t understand the game
    Aye that was quite funny when he said it was similar. Mata'utai was committed when he made contact with their lad. Their bloke flattened him without ever having the ball.