Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rlwc

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    I have zero confidence in the RFL & the IRL to do anything about it. FIFA wouldn’t stand for this, players would be making big public statements not off the cuff comments. Big statement but the game is dead at international level if the NRL pull this stunt off. As a key member of the international body should be pressing on without them and let their public etc. Drag the NRL name through the mud.
    I agre this RWC needs to go ahead for the whole future of the international game. Some players must have put so much effort into this year in the hope of being selected, that it is ridiculous to let the NRL dictate to everyone. I would love to see them replaced by the Maoris and Indigenous all stars, but failing that bring in the best two from the qualifiers that did not make it.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

What a joy to watch a NZ rugby team win a major event, playing great rugby and talking with passion about how important it is to represent their country.......what a pity then that it was the NZ ladies RU Sevens team and the Olympic Gold.......
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Interesting to see that the isolationist stance has failed for the Aussies- lockdowns being implemented and sports being cancelled across the country, cases of COVID are increasing.
    Given that and the intransigence of the NRL owners, there’s no chance of them coming over, and I’d be surprised if any other sports team travel from there. Unfortunately that will also stop any island nations players as well if they’re based in Aus.
    We should go ahead regardless and leave them to stew in their own bitterness and isolation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by scrogger View Post
    Interesting to see that the isolationist stance has failed for the Aussies- lockdowns being implemented and sports being cancelled across the country, cases of COVID are increasing.
    Given that and the intransigence of the NRL owners, there’s no chance of them coming over, and I’d be surprised if any other sports team travel from there. Unfortunately that will also stop any island nations players as well if they’re based in Aus.
    We should go ahead regardless and leave them to stew in their own bitterness and isolation.

If there's no island teams either, then what's left?

For me, you can't have a World Cup that doesn't include the best two teams in the world. You certainly can't have a World Cup without five of the best six and have a competition comprising of England versus fifteen teams on a level with Thatto Heath Crusaders.

Quite frankly, they've got us by the short and curlies. They know full well that any 'World' Cup that attempts to go ahead without them makes our sport a complete laughing stock. The image that it will portray watching a load of pub standard teams playing-off to play England in a Final they couldn't possibly lose would be catastrophic.

Even if Tonga, Samoa and Fiji were to play, there will still be a multitude of sniggers when the last four is made up three countries the size of Burtonwood - and England.

For me, this is a clear example of no World Cup portraying a better image for the game than a World Cup without its best teams, because there will only be negative images, not positive ones, if it goes ahead.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

I think it’s the lesser of two evils if we go ahead. I fully agree with what you say about the level of the competition if no island nations turn up, but no Aus/NZ is not catastrophic in terms of image. The casual observer or spectator probably won’t be too concerned if they don’t already watch- you only need to listen to the Sky commentary on poor games already being shown to know how it would be portrayed by the tv companies.
    The massive downside of cancellation is the power we then hand to the NRL controllers who will then be able to dictate -even more than now- what happens on the international stage. If we go ahead regardless at least they’ll know they don’t hold all the power, especially if it’s a commercial success.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post

For me, you can't have a World Cup that doesn't include the best two teams in the world. You certainly can't have a World Cup without five of the best six and have a competition comprising of England versus fifteen teams on a level with Thatto Heath Crusaders.

Quite frankly, they've got us by the short and curlies. They know full well that any 'World' Cup that attempts to go ahead without them makes our sport a complete laughing stock. The image that it will portray watching a load of pub standard teams playing-off to play England in a Final they couldn't possibly lose would be catastrophic.

Even if Tonga, Samoa and Fiji were to play, there will still be a multitude of sniggers when the last four is made up three countries the size of Burtonwood - and England.

For me, this is a clear example of no World Cup portraying a better image for the game than a World Cup without its best teams, because there will only be negative images, not positive ones, if it goes ahead.
    And when they turn round next year and say they aren't coming again? Personally I would rather watch Thatto Heath than Australia at present

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post

Dave, I agree that if the Pacific Island teams aren't represented, then it can't go ahead, for the reasons you've stated.

However, can't agree with you that the reputational damage (does RL have any reputation left?) is less if it's cancelled altogether.

We've just got to hope that we do have the Islands' teams taking part, maybe even an Indigenous Aussie and a Maori team too.

We've got over £1k invested in match tickets and accomodation; if it's postponed until next year, I'll be getting refunds and won't be attending any of it in 2022.....it's just yet another nail in the RL coffin for me
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Dave, I agree that if the Pacific Island teams aren't represented, then it can't go ahead, for the reasons you've stated.

However, can't agree with you that the reputational damage (does RL have any reputation left?) is less if it's cancelled altogether.

We've just got to hope that we do have the Islands' teams taking part, maybe even an Indigenous Aussie and a Maori team too.

We've got over £1k invested in match tickets and accomodation; if it's postponed until next year, I'll be getting refunds and won't be attending any of it in 2022.....it's just yet another nail in the RL coffin for me
    £1000, you must only be going a couple of games then with the pricing?!
    I'm flatly refusing to pay £70+ for my regular seat to watch Tonga v Wales.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    Why on earth do people post links to subscription based web sites???

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    To prove they know something we don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    £1000, you must only be going a couple of games then with the pricing?!
    I'm flatly refusing to pay £70+ for my regular seat to watch Tonga v Wales.
    Paul, we booked very early and got the discounts. Includes opening matches, Tonga v PNG, Wales v Cook I, England v France, Tonga v Wales, PNG v Cook I, a quarter final game at Anfield and the final. Plus a couple of ladies games.
    As I said, if it doesn't go ahead, getting refunds and they can go to hell next year

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Paul, we booked very early and got the discounts. Includes opening matches, Tonga v PNG, Wales v Cook I, England v France, Tonga v Wales, PNG v Cook I, a quarter final game at Anfield and the final. Plus a couple of ladies games.
    As I said, if it doesn't go ahead, getting refunds and they can go to hell next year
    I understand that sentiment but I feel so sorry for the organisers who have, IMO, done a great job.

Was very excited to go to the Emirates to watch RL

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    when I linked up it was ok got through, wouldn't subscribe to the Torygraph as long as I had a hole in my arse.

when I linked up it was ok got through, wouldn't subscribe to the Torygraph as long as I had a hole in my arse.
    The Aussie Telegraph has no connection with the English one, it is actually owned by one of the News Corporation Companies ie.the Murdoch family and co. so basically back to Fox Sports in Aussie and Sky over here, I've got a feeling that if Sky and Fox Sports had the rights for the World Cup, it might just be a different story

In The South Stand

I have just watched the interview on SKY with Jon Dutton and i have to say that in my opinion that man is flogging his proverbials off to try to get the Rugby League World Cup on and i have to say th at a couple of his comments near the end of the interview says that the Australian and New Zealand people , i am not saying players DONT want to come over .

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    The Aussie Telegraph has no connection with the English one, it is actually owned by one of the News Corporation Companies ie.the Murdoch family and co. so basically back to Fox Sports in Aussie and Sky over here, I've got a feeling that if Sky and Fox Sports had the rights for the World Cup, it might just be a different story
    That argument has been brought up down under.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    That would be fair enough and I’d back anyone who wanted to put their family/own health first and not travel over. What isn’t acceptable is the NRL dictating whether the players have that choice or not.
    ALL senior NRL plyers were extensively consulted before the decision was made, "fact".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Parrer View Post
    ALL senior NRL plyers were extensively consulted before the decision was made, "fact".
    Why does the players' union state otherwise, then?

Players were not consulted before Australia and New Zealand withdrew from the 2021 Rugby League World Cup, a director of the Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) has said.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57980708

In The South Stand

To be honest with much of Australia now going in to lockdown again and Quantas putting staff on furlough, I think it's really a case of should they be allowed to come here anyway! They're the risk, not us. Bring on the World Cup and strip them of the title.

In The South Stand

It's posponed for 12 months

Banned

It's posponed for 12 months
    Damn.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Damn.
    Time for a name change, to Aussie Rules Rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Damn.
    What's the betting that it will be called off next year as well, the Aussies saying it's too cold in October or some other excuse!
    For all our complaints about them The RFL have tried their best over this, I can't blame them if they are completely disheartened

In The South Stand

Bedlam some are saying it's not posponed, some say one team has be told its off, a meeting planned for tomoz.