Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rlwc

In The South Stand

For all the investment, both financially and in the hearts and minds of players from all the nations involved, it must go ahead. There's also the considerable matter of the Aussies being unable to call themselves World Champions after the event! That in itself would make me want to hold the competition. It's sheer hypocrisy that the Aussie/NZ teams aren't coming when, as has been mentioned by others, both nations have national teams in various sports touring UAE, Bangladesh (hardly known for its excellent health care!), UK and Europe and of course Japan! It's all about the self interest of the NRL and no doubt Fox. If we cancel it will inflate the egos at the NRL even more! We can show them we can have a World Cup without them and we should.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Great post..

Agree 100%

Hopefully there's enough pressure on them to play now, but ultimately if they don't bother..

Who cares
    In some respects it might just increase the spectator base for the tournament if it meant more English based South sea islanders representing their various countries, supporters would perhaps turn out to cheer on the players who they have watched all season but in a different setting, at first I thought no Australia, no New Zealand no World Cup but now I'm coming around to the idea of it being a multi cultural festival of rugby, and putting two fingers up to the bed wetters down under, reading what they had already been promised by the government, specially chartered planes, resort type hotels to include training grounds and swimming pools with all the necessary precautions, and a host of other special arrangements, all paid for by the government, ignoring the fact that all the world events held in this country from the Open Golf, Europa Cup, British Grand Prix, Cricket tournaments have been successful, the more they look plain ignorant and self centered. I will certainly now go to any game at St Helens to show support for the tournament whereas before I may have just watched it on t.v
    Last edited by Woolyback; 24th July 2021 at 13:04.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Error

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Error
    Is that your view of Australia & New Zealand withdrawing ?
    Last edited by 2112_Saint; 24th July 2021 at 14:43.

Learning All The Songs

If they don’t come and the tournament goes ahead, whoever wins will be true world champions, because one of the main things you require to be a champion is to knuckle down and get on with it when the times are hard and you are up against a new and challenging opposition. When your mind doesn’t fancy it, champions put any mental doubts to the side and battle through.

Champions do not hide away at home and with a letter from their mum (or the NRL), excusing them, from P.E.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    If they don’t come and the tournament goes ahead, whoever wins will be true world champions, because one of the main things you require to be a champion is to knuckle down and get on with it when the times are hard and you are up against a new and challenging opposition. When your mind doesn’t fancy it, champions put any mental doubts to the side and battle through.

Champions do not hide away at home and with a letter from their mum (or the NRL), excusing them, from P.E.
    Article in Saturdays Daily Mirror by Jamie Peacock.https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby...thing-24603628

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    Is that your view of Australia & New Zealand withdrawing ?

Actually I initially posted from my phone in my pocket.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Would we care if say Wigan pulled out of SL and we won it? Would Liverpool/City/United fans care if one of their rivals decided not to take part in a CL say and then went on to win it? Would we balls, get on with it and rub their noses in it
    As others have said, there were no English teams in the European competitions for several years, yet there's no 'asterisk' next to the winners during that time. (and after Abu Dhabi Sportwashing FC got off from a 2-year UEFA ban on a technicality, would there have been an asterisk against their name if they hadn't have had bottled it this year?)

Another couple of examples are the 1980 Olympics where the USA threw a tantrum about the Moscow Olympics and boycotted, and 4 years later the USSR reciprocated on the immature cretin stakes by boycotting the LA games.

Did any of those winning athletes feel a sense of disgrace when they stood on the podium?

No.

I hope there's a player backlash against the self-interest and pettiness of the NRL clubs (who are the villains of this piece) but even if there's not, we need to hold the World Cup and whichever team ultimately wins, has the absolute right to celebrate their place at the pinnacle of international rugby.

I was undecided whether I was going to bother buying tickets to watch any games, but if they go ahead without the cowards of Aus and NZ, then I'll definitely attend at least a game

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    Article in Saturdays Daily Mirror by Jamie Peacock.https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby...thing-24603628
    Brilliant to see Peacock put into print what everyone knows.

My only gripe is that when he says "So for the Australian and New Zealand Rugby Leagues to hide behind player welfare and Covid is a joke." I'd say it's not a joke, it's an insult. An insult to all those who've bravely battled through this pandemic to try to save lives, but also those who've put themselves at risk to try to get society functioning again. A cynical attempt to deflect from the real reasons because they're too cowardly to admit the truth.

Vile scum, the lot of them.

It seems clear that it’s the NRL causing the issue and that the players themselves wanted to come. Given their indifferent and self centred approach are the NRL bosses going to stop players from other nations representing if it would disrupt their season start?
    The knock-on effect might reduce the ability of many South Pacific nations and emerging nations currently reliant on NRL players to make a decent squad, and the England squad to a lesser extent because of players currently playing there.
    The reality is if they continue to claim ‘player welfare’ then they would have to stop all NRL and NZRL players attending regardless of who they will represent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scrogger View Post
    It seems clear that it’s the NRL causing the issue and that the players themselves wanted to come. Given their indifferent and self centred approach are the NRL bosses going to stop players from other nations representing if it would disrupt their season start?
    The knock-on effect might reduce the ability of many South Pacific nations and emerging nations currently reliant on NRL players to make a decent squad, and the England squad to a lesser extent because of players currently playing there.
    The reality is if they continue to claim ‘player welfare’ then they would have to stop all NRL and NZRL players attending regardless of who they will represent.

I think the NRL are obliged to release players for internations sanctioned by the International Board.

In The South Stand

Why should the competition be abandoned ?, if a boxer is unable for whatever reason to defend his Campionship the boxing world doesnt stop they carry on and the winner of his title that he abandoned by not defending it becomes Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Why should the competition be abandoned ?, if a boxer is unable for whatever reason to defend his Campionship the boxing world doesnt stop they carry on and the winner of his title that he abandoned by not defending it becomes Champion.
    I think they decide on Monday. Don't think abandoning the comp is an option. There is talk of bringing the likes of Spain in to make up the numbers. After the way they have behaved I am not particularly bothered whether or not Aus/NZ turn up. I still think there will be some good rugby on show.

Learning All The Songs

Agree oh and they should make Aus and NZ qualify for the next WC, but only 1 place up for grabs. I image sending a team to play on a park in Jamaica or Serbia in the middle of the NRL season would go down well

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

RTS has today announced that he's retiring/leaving the sport as of immediate effect. Granted he was scheduled to go to the other code at the end of the season, but it can't be underestimated the challenges that lots of the players are facing having to be away from home for extended periods at the moment. To finish the NRL season and then potentially to travel over here for the World Cup.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

I think the NRL are obliged to release players for internations sanctioned by the International Board.
    I think that’s right Belgian, but that applies to the Aus and NZ teams too- the NRL are effectively blackmailing the international players/ organisations to suit their own agenda, and if they won’t allow those players to be released I can’t see how they could then justify releasing rep. Players for other nations who would be subject to the season disruption that seems to be causing the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    RTS has today announced that he's retiring/leaving the sport as of immediate effect. Granted he was scheduled to go to the other code at the end of the season, but it can't be underestimated the challenges that lots of the players are facing having to be away from home for extended periods at the moment. To finish the NRL season and then potentially to travel over here for the World Cup.
    Which should be the pinnacle of a sportsman's career surely ? The NRL board are purely egocentric self centred spoiled brats. The players want to play & yet self interest will stop them.
    Play the tournament without them.
    It's no wonder our game is looked upon as small time & a joke, looking from the outside you could come to no other conclusion.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    That would be fair enough and I’d back anyone who wanted to put their family/own health first and not travel over. What isn’t acceptable is the NRL dictating whether the players have that choice or not.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scrogger View Post
    I think that’s right Belgian, but that applies to the Aus and NZ teams too- the NRL are effectively blackmailing the international players/ organisations to suit their own agenda, and if they won’t allow those players to be released I can’t see how they could then justify releasing rep. Players for other nations who would be subject to the season disruption that seems to be causing the issue.

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) are the equivalent of the RFL.

There are 18 shareholder-members of the ARLC - the 16 NRL clubs plus the NSWRL and the QRL.

So they're hardly going to be impartial.

They appointed independent commissioners, but the current CEO is former NRL chief Todd Greenberg.

There's a conflict of interest WRT the World Cup, and the ARLC has thrown the international game under bus for the sake of letting those involved in the WC to join pre-season a fortnight later.

Top football clubs have no problem allowing that when there's a summer competition taking place.

Just NRL ••••s being self-interested

Got A Season Ticket

Great article that shows how insular and up their own ar**s the NRL are. I really hope it goes ahead, and I hope that if the Aussies decide not to come, the South pacific Islanders playing in the NRL stand up for their right to represent their country.
    Most Pacific Islanders playing NRL will not even get the flu jab !!!! (due to there belief's so rule this out)

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/857299
    Interesting conversation ref Aus + NZ not coming

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/857299
    Interesting conversation ref Aus + NZ not coming
    A bit extreme, but I'd ban them for the next two world cups - they don't give a flying f*ck about international rugby league anyway.

Let them tell the Tongans, Samoans, Fijians etc that they'll never represent their country at international level in their chosen sport and let's see what would happen......

Similar to them telling their players that should they have the temerity to leave the NRL they'll not be considered for rep honours.

We can't let them dictate the future of international RL, however strong they (may think they) are
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    A bit extreme, but I'd ban them for the next two world cups - they don't give a flying f*ck about international rugby league anyway.

Let them tell the Tongans, Samoans, Fijians etc that they'll never represent their country at international level in their chosen sport and let's see what would happen......

Similar to them telling their players that should they have the temerity to leave the NRL they'll not be considered for rep honours.

We can't let them dictate the future of international RL, however strong they (may think they) are
    I have zero confidence in the RFL & the IRL to do anything about it. FIFA wouldn’t stand for this, players would be making big public statements not off the cuff comments. Big statement but the game is dead at international level if the NRL pull this stunt off. As a key member of the international body should be pressing on without them and let their public etc. Drag the NRL name through the mud.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    I have zero confidence in the RFL & the IRL to do anything about it. FIFA wouldn’t stand for this, players would be making big public statements not off the cuff comments. Big statement but the game is dead at international level if the NRL pull this stunt off. As a key member of the international body should be pressing on without them and let their public etc. Drag the NRL name through the mud.
    I agree we (the game of RL that is) need to grow a pair. If we stand up to the NRL and either as you say ban them from all international comps for a number of years or make them qualify for one place in the next World Cup we will call their bluff(if we do that maybe NZ will break).

We need to move away from dependance on the NRL. Yes they have the most lucrative competition but Club RL in this country is on a par with limited overs cricket and RU, so why can’t we say hang on we have a good core of a spectator base, why don’t we start to accept this instead of allowing ourselves to be bullied.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    As others have said, there were no English teams in the European competitions for several years, yet there's no 'asterisk' next to the winners during that time. (and after Abu Dhabi Sportwashing FC got off from a 2-year UEFA ban on a technicality, would there have been an asterisk against their name if they hadn't have had bottled it this year?)
    Ooh. I missed that. Nice to see that we are still living rent free in your head.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football