Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
Two things here.

If this had been any other sport, would they have pulled out? I doubt it very much. I suspect this is quite simply a case of the NRL leading the way and bailing out of a competition that they have never really had much interest in playing.

However, if we take away that cynical side, Australia and New Zealand seem to be pursuing a zero Covid policy. Is this sensible in the long run, especially in Australia where a very high percentage don't seem to want to take the vaccine. There will have to be a change of policy from them as countries sooner or later because Covid isn't going away. I'd be quite worried if I was a youngster out there now, because they seem to think that the entire answer to everything is to isolate for ever and a day.
If it had been any other sport there would be more than 4 decent teams so 2 pulling out wouldn’t make a difference. The whole thing is a complete mess and there’s really sod all anyone can do to Australia and NZ about it as there is no World Cup without them unfortunately.