Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rlwc

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Default Rlwc

So the worst kept secret is out out the bag, Australia and New Zealand have both withdrawn from the World Cup this year.

What a complete disgrace by the NRL who have clearly lobbied the clubs and the players union to get this outcome.

Learning All The Songs

got to be cancelled. Total waste of time without Aus and NZ

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Considering that the Euros, Copa America and Olympics have/are taking place, which are all international events, I don't really see thier argument. If it was last year, I get it, but surely the fact that the other events have taken place with few covid cases, demonstrates that it can be done.

I really do hope that the event takes place with out them, as it might start to reduce some of the power struggle with in the international game. I know they are the pull for the corporate side, but they both know that and act accordingly.

The general arrogance from fans of NRL clubs is astounding though. Comments such as;

No point having a World Cup without NZ and AUS as no decent players will be involved
    NRL clubs should now ban all their players from attending for the safety of those who are not and risking transmission on return of the virus.
    The British born players shouldn’t be allowed to attend to play and should be dealt with by the NRL if they ignore the demand. Similar sort of thing being said about South Sea Islanders etc.

Pure arrogance, run the competition without them involved and let them go down in history.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Considering that the Euros, Copa America and Olympics have/are taking place, which are all international events, I don't really see thier argument. If it was last year, I get it, but surely the fact that the other events have taken place with few covid cases, demonstrates that it can be done.

I really do hope that the event takes place with out them, as it might start to reduce some of the power struggle with in the international game. I know they are the pull for the corporate side, but they both know that and act accordingly.
    Australia are sending their union team over in the autumn, biggest team to the Olympics, cricket team are in the West Indies and Bangladesh.

They're saying it's about the cases, but that facade slipped when they said about NRL trial games the other week.

Once more a selfish decision

Starting A Programme Collection

Either cancel it or persuade Australia and New Zealand governing bodies to allow them to be represented in the completion by super league based players. Not ideal but at least all fixtures and groups would be fulfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
    Either cancel it or persuade Australia and New Zealand governing bodies to allow them to be represented in the completion by super league based players. Not ideal but at least all fixtures and groups would be fulfilled.
    Considering the NRL and Aus RL have had a long-standing agreement that players who don’t ply their trade in Australia are not eligible for selection I’d say this is a no go. Only NZ could do this and I don’t think they could field a team. The World Cup sadly has been cancelled by the selfish money men at the NRL

Learning All The Songs

Castleford will also announce today that all of there contracted players will not take part in the WC as they need a rest and Castleford will choose which games to play and not to play next year also?

There’s likely to be a knock- on effect on all the Southern Hemisphere teams as well. They source most of their players from NRL teams and the clubs won’t want to release them for a comp they’re not supporting or endorsing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the Aussies etc. Look how many games are off domestically here . In a few months we expect loads of players staff etc to come to a country with the highest infection rate (or thereabouts) keep them safe. Imagine getting fans to a game only to find half the Aussies or England team out self isolating. Then the Aussies etc having to quarantine back home leaving no time to recover for the domestic season. (Player welfare). Like it or not the domestic leagues are more important especially now when both us an the NRL were/are on their knees due to this pandemic. I have no issues with the NRL looking out for their own interest. In fact I applaud them. The RFL could learn a lot from them. The only reason they want the WC is because our domestic league is poor and badly attended. A WC comp that could be riddled with Covid issues is not a good look. It should have been cancelled ages ago.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Had to be cancelled, the only way. The way things are going in the UK and Oz, we're in an unpredictable situation. Doesn't excuse anything the NRL have said which may/may not have been inappropriate, but ultimately the correct decision. Can it now and plan for next year or whenever. It had the potential to be a farce if called off at the last minute. I definitely feel there are different attitudes over here compared to UK re COVID. I guess we're at different stages. The UK has suffered a lot but is well ahead with vaccinations and then we get the controversial decision to open up with little heed for science in the UK. The way it's been reported over here is very negative.

I don't see why they couldn't have waited a little longer before making such a drastic decision, IF the current plan works and infections start dropping quickly after early August which the experts predict, they will look foolish, I seem to remember they were scared to come to England several years ago because of a terrorist incident, they have a very insular attititude with regards to the rest of the world, perhaps it's because of it being a big island in the middle of nowhere.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

You can bet your bottom Australian Dollar that had it been the RU World Cup, the Aussies and NZ would have been sending teams over.

The problem with RL is that the Aussies don't give a flying f**k about the international game and they are far too powerful in comparison to their RU counterparts; even in the unlikely event of them declining to take part in an international RU tournament, it would still be a very competitive competition with the winners able to rightly call themselves world champions. Not so in the world of RL.

Just yet another RL shambles.....the game that seems to revel in shooting itself in the foot
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Looks like the NRL haven't read the room, even some coaches and players have come out and said they'll come.. hopefully the RLWC stand firm.

No doubt NZ and Australia have done well on Covid, but I'm not sure what their endgame is, we've been hammered here with Covid, so the vaccine uptake is good.

Whereas in Australia - it's not much of an issue, so they may be less willing. Covid is coming their way at some point, and hopefully they'll have enough vaccinated

Got A Season Ticket

Can’t blame them really, who would want to travel to the UK at the moment. The whole situation is out of control.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by ffs View Post
    Can’t blame them really, who would want to travel to the UK at the moment. The whole situation is out of control.
    Every team that played in the Euros wanted to get to England, the Oz/NZ players who played in the open, any Oz/NZ people involved in the Grand Prix, or Wimbledon, the RU team is touring later this year.

So pretty much all athletes except this bunch.

Don’t be fooled by the player welfare stuff, the only thing they care about is NRL pre-season. Most of not all of the lads who would be selected to play for Oz/NZ would come over given the choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Not sure anyone in the Euros actually wanted to get to England more that they had to in order to win the trophy. Individual sports like you mention are a little easier to control so can be made safer. We are probably the only country now saying let’s let COVID pass through the population whereas Aus/NZ have always been tight on bio security measures. No guarantee the union tour will happen.

I mean, you vote for idiots you do tend to get things like this happening.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Not sure anyone in the Euros actually wanted to get to England more that they had to in order to win the trophy. Individual sports like you mention are a little easier to control so can be made safer. We are probably the only country now saying let’s let COVID pass through the population whereas Aus/NZ have always been tight on bio security measures. No guarantee the union tour will happen.

I mean, you vote for idiots you do tend to get things like this happening.
    I'm not sure that there are many Australian youngsters, who fear that their country's 'zero Covid' policy is going to see them isolated from the world for years, would agree with you.

Unfortunately, as a country, they've been hoodwinked into following a policy of denial. They believe they can just sit on the other side of the world and ride the storm until the rest of the globe sorts their sh1t out. However, there's negligible vaccine uptake, so they will always be vulnerable to cases slipping through, and their population, largely unvaccinated, with no resistant antibodies, will constantly have to live with lockdowns. For them, there is no end in sight. I'd rather be here.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

[Apparently the RFL were initially informed via a What's App message, didn't even have the guts to have an actually conversation, just shows what a cowardly and spineless bunch they appear to be, sat hiding behind their settee on their big rock in the middle of nowhere

Beg to differ with the above post, despite alarming figures, it is going exactlly the way the modelling predicted, possibly even slightly better.The vast majority of the positive tests result in asymptomatic results The lurid headlines don't help

Should be an interesting meeting next time the RFL and ARFL convene, our chairman describing the decision as cowardly and parochial amongst other remarks, quite right too, as for some on here saying it should have been postponed, why? We've just had a successful euro football competition Wimbledon, Golf, the Cricket is now in full swing, Rugby is played in the open air, even Professor Van Tam says he has no problem with large crowds in the open air, the teams would have been in a "bubble" I think we can add spineless to any other insult we can throw at them

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Beg to differ with the above post, despite alarming figures, it is going exactlly the way the modelling predicted, possibly even slightly better.The vast majority of the positive tests result in asymptomatic results The lurid headlines don't help

Should be an interesting meeting next time the RFL and ARFL convene, our chairman describing the decision as cowardly and parochial amongst other remarks, quite right too, as for some on here saying it should have been postponed, why? We've just had a successful euro football competition Wimbledon, Golf, the Cricket is now in full swing, Rugby is played in the open air, even Professor Van Tam says he has no problem with large crowds in the open air, the teams would have been in a "bubble" I think we can add spineless to any other insult we can throw at them

The state of play over here in the UK is a smokescreen excuse.

It's all about the impasse of the 8-week player break and when that starts, and the intransigence of selfish NRL clubs.

Got A Season Ticket

So do you think they would have pulled out if Covid didn’t happen? Interesting. If so surely that would be the death knell for the international game?

Banned

So do you think they would have pulled out if Covid didn’t happen? Interesting. If so surely that would be the death knell for the international game?

The 8-week player total break is set in stone over there.

Due to Covid, there's a 14 day quarantine period on return to Aus.

The players have said they want the 8 week break to only start after they leave quarantine.

This would mean they start pre-season 2 weeks later than the owners want pre-season to start.

The owners have refused this and demanded the players return 8 weeks after arriving back in Aus, and that the 14 day quarantine period is part of their 8 week break.

None of the above is related to the state of Covid in the UK (Aus requires quarantine on arrival from any country), but the Covid infection rates here now are being used by the NRL to try to justify their pulling out of the WC.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Of course not. It's a convenient excuse. Just like the events of 11th September 2001 led to them cancelling the Ashes tour.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Reports are now that the players want to come - blows a hole in the player welfare angle.

Don't think this is over yet