Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The biggest club in Super League

Got A Replica Shirt

Default The biggest club in Super League

A report by Peter Smith in the Yorkshire Post dated 19th July has Aidan Sezer declaring he has joined, 'the biggest club in Super League.' when he signed for Leeds Rhinos. Is there any truth in such a boast or is it a platitude uttered for the Yorkshire press and also the Leeds fan base. Comments from correspondents of the forum are invited and it would be appreciated if you could give your criteria for the label 'the biggest club in Super League.'
    Bringing it all back home.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Peters View Post
    A report by Peter Smith in the Yorkshire Post dated 19th July has Aidan Sezer declaring he has joined, 'the biggest club in Super League.' when he signed for Leeds Rhinos. Is there any truth in such a boast or is it a platitude uttered for the Yorkshire press and also the Leeds fan base. Comments from correspondents of the forum are invited and it would be appreciated if you could give your criteria for the label 'the biggest club in Super League.'
    In super league times they have the joint most titles and consistently have the best average attendance so they are certainly in the conversation for biggest club, whatever criteria you base it on. In the super league era Saints have been most successful across titles, challenge cups and world club challenges with Leeds not far behind and with higher attendances so I’d put us on a level par for biggest super league club. Obviously if you open it up to pre super league Wigan join the conversation.

In regards to Sezer’s comment it’s obviously a platitude for the fans but it’s certainly a statement you could argue to be true.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    In super league times they have the joint most titles and consistently have the best average attendance so they are certainly in the conversation for biggest club, whatever criteria you base it on. In the super league era Saints have been most successful across titles, challenge cups and world club challenges with Leeds not far behind and with higher attendances so I’d put us on a level par for biggest super league club. Obviously if you open it up to pre super league Wigan join the conversation.

In regards to Sezer’s comment it’s obviously a platitude for the fans but it’s certainly a statement you could argue to be true.
    I would have typed pretty much the same answer.

Let’s not forget Sezar can’t exactly say “you’re living on your history but I’ll join you anyway”

Leeds had the most incredible fortune to have Peacock, Burrow, McGuire, Sinfield and to a lesser extent Senior, Ryan Hall, JJB and Kylie throughout that period, much in the same way that we had Longy, Scully, KC/Roby and Wellens and there’s no secret to long periods of dominance when you have several players who are the best/second best? in the league in their position, and they stay at the same club for long enough.

There may be another point where Leeds have a great team again but I can’t imagine them competing for the title in the near future…..
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

It’s quite a loose term when you look at the supporter base per head of population, it was the Wigoons when they had near 20k fans turning up.

For Saints you could say we are the most consistent club in the Superleague Era, the most successful club in the Superleage Era. Have we created history in becoming the only club to hold 2 Challenge Cup Trophies in the same season. Whats very rewarding is that we challenge at highest level from the scholarship, academy, ladies and first team…the club must be very proud of that.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    It’s quite a loose term when you look at the supporter base per head of population, it was the Wigoons when they had near 20k fans turning up.

For Saints you could say we are the most consistent club in the Superleague Era, the most successful club in the Superleage Era. Have we created history in becoming the only club to hold 2 Challenge Cup Trophies in the same season. Whats very rewarding is that we challenge at highest level from the scholarship, academy, ladies and first team…the club must be very proud of that.

Or that Saints built 3 separate dynasties in the Superleague era even?

It’s all subjective of course. Leeds have won the most SuperLeague titles than anyone and as such if that’s the barometer, they ARE the most successful but if you mix other stuff in the water muddies

Got A Season Ticket

Only in Yorkshire is size used as a criterion for judging quality.I'd rather be the best, regardless of size.

Another way of looking at it is that we have been in the play offs in every season whilst other top clubs have fell by the wayside.

It was always Saints-Bradford, Saints-Wigan, Saints-Leeds that’s why we have been in grand finals more than any other team. We’ve lost a few along the way but we don’t have that ‘monkey’ of having the worse failure rate in Superleague, that sits on Warrington’s back in Quasimodo preportions at the mo.

Another way of looking at it is that we have been in the play offs in every season whilst other top clubs have fell by the wayside.

It was always Saints-Bradford, Saints-Wigan, Saints-Leeds that’s why we have been in grand finals more than any other team. We’ve lost a few along the way but we don’t have that ‘monkey’ of having the worse failure rate in Superleague, that sits on Warrington’s back in Quasimodo preportions at the mo.

I thought we were talking big clubs?

Learning All The Songs

We all know RL only started in the summer months from 1996.

So beat this Leeds
    8 Grand finals Winners
    5 Runners up
    9 League Leaders Shields
    8 Challenge Cups
    Done Treble in 2006
    Done quadruple in 2006/07
    2 WCC
    BBC Team of the year

Pls add if poss:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Leeds have won the most SuperLeague titles than anyone and as such if that’s the barometer, they ARE the most successful but if you mix other stuff in the water muddies

It's tied between Saints and Leeds at 8 each.

We've finished top 9 times to their 3, though (7 LLS's to their 3).

And we have 8 Challenge Cup wins to their 4

(all the above in the SL era)

We're clearly the most successful team in SL.

Overall in the SL era, Leeds have the higher average attendance - although in the last full/proper season (2019), we actually had a higher average attendance (11,910 to their 11,838). The population of Leeds is about 4 times that of Sintellins, too.

Saying all that, if it's about both national and global recognition, sadly the piescum take that accolade.

Got A Season Ticket

Nothing against the creator of the thread but I hate these discussions. Football fans don’t half get the hump if you say their team is not a big club. I honestly couldn’t give two hoots if we are or aren’t the biggest. Ultimately if you are successful is what counts.

What I was struck by recently is how well managed a club we are. I did a google search for the net worth of Eamon McManus out of curiosity and the number thrown up was £7 million pound. As super league owners go he doesn’t seem to be particularly wealthy as Wires owner is ten times his worth and many others seem to be joint owned. To build Saints to what they have become and the success they’ve had with the money he’s got is incredible. I’ve always been interested to know just out of interest how much he would want for someone to buy Saints off him or what they are valued at.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A.O.88 View Post
    Nothing against the creator of the thread but I hate these discussions. Football fans don’t half get the hump if you say their team is not a big club. I honestly couldn’t give two hoots if we are or aren’t the biggest. Ultimately if you are successful is what counts.

What I was struck by recently is how well managed a club we are. I did a google search for the net worth of Eamon McManus out of curiosity and the number thrown up was £7 million pound. As super league owners go he doesn’t seem to be particularly wealthy as Wires owner is ten times his worth and many others seem to be joint owned. To build Saints to what they have become and the success they’ve had with the money he’s got is incredible. I’ve always been interested to know just out of interest how much he would want for someone to buy Saints off him or what they are valued at.
    The real moneyman behind the club is Mike Coleman, whose net worth is reputedly several multiples of McManus's

A big club would have a roof on their away end.
    End of debate.

Sorry I meant grand finals (forgot the FPTP first season!)

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Sorry I meant grand finals (forgot the FPTP first season!)
    I could never forget that!! Watched us two decades before experiencing a Championship.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    A big club would have a roof on their away end.
    End of debate.
    Exactly, also Hetherington gives the impression of being both the biggest mouth and head in Superleague, does that count?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    The real moneyman behind the club is Mike Coleman, whose net worth is reputedly several multiples of McManus's
    In all my years following Saints I’ve never once heard his name, always thought it was Eamon so that’s quite interesting.

He’s clearly a guy who wants nothing to do with any fame/spotlight.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I heard his annual income is more than Simon Moran's net worth.

In all my years following Saints I’ve never once heard his name, always thought it was Eamon so that’s quite interesting.

He’s clearly a guy who wants nothing to do with any fame/spotlight.
    We were very lucky to get McManus and Coleman on board both St Helens born. Originally they just wanted to be main sponsors of the club but McManus decided to be more involved in the boardroom, with Coleman as a silent partner.

It depends how you define “big club”

If you asked a large group of people that weren’t RL fans to name a rugby league team I think Wigan would come first with St Helens second

Got A Season Ticket

We were very lucky to get McManus and Coleman on board both St Helens born. Originally they just wanted to be main sponsors of the club but McManus decided to be more involved in the boardroom, with Coleman as a silent partner.
    We sure have been lucky with them by the sounds of it. I just had a quick google of that Coleman chap, lives abroad but still attends games when in this part of the world. Says that before him and Eamon got involved we was riddled with debt also.

Either way they’ve still done a great job. Maybe it’s my bias but we don’t seem to try and buy success as much as other clubs and have always had a healthy input from academy players in all our success.

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    It depends how you define “big club”

If you asked a large group of people that weren’t RL fans to name a rugby league team I think Wigan would come first with St Helens second
    All I can say that is Eamon is like all terrace supporters of saints a true saints fan

Noooobie

In all my years following Saints IÂ’ve never once heard his name, always thought it was Eamon so thatÂ’s quite interesting.

HeÂ’s clearly a guy who wants nothing to do with any fame/spotlight.
    This got me thinking of when I was growing up in the 70's in Prescot. A few of my friends from school lived in Eccleston Park which is quite an affluent area and they introduced me to a lad called Mike Coleman, who I think went to a private school. He was a big Saints fan then but I think he went to games with his parents as he was never on the number 7 bus from outside the Wellington like the rest of us on a Sunday afternoon! During the mid to late 70"s when we we where all doing O levels and then A Levels, there was a big gang of us that played cricket during the summer holidays and he would often be there and appeared to be one of those natural sportsmen who are good at everything. Apparently he was good at rugby as well, although that would be Union if the private school thing is correct. He told us of a school rugby tour to the USA where he had a go at American Football but got told off for excessive roughness when tackling the opposition! After A Levels we all went our separate ways; me to Liverpool Poly and Mike to Oxford! The last time I saw him he was a contestant on University Challenge in around 1980/81. I hope this is the same guy!

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Elpus View Post
    This got me thinking of when I was growing up in the 70's in Prescot. A few of my friends from school lived in Eccleston Park which is quite an affluent area and they introduced me to a lad called Mike Coleman, who I think went to a private school. He was a big Saints fan then but I think he went to games with his parents as he was never on the number 7 bus from outside the Wellington like the rest of us on a Sunday afternoon! During the mid to late 70"s when we we where all doing O levels and then A Levels, there was a big gang of us that played cricket during the summer holidays and he would often be there and appeared to be one of those natural sportsmen who are good at everything. Apparently he was good at rugby as well, although that would be Union if the private school thing is correct. He told us of a school rugby tour to the USA where he had a go at American Football but got told off for excessive roughness when tackling the opposition! After A Levels we all went our separate ways; me to Liverpool Poly and Mike to Oxford! The last time I saw him he was a contestant on University Challenge in around 1980/81. I hope this is the same guy!
    Seems like you were once fond of Mike Coleman

Got A Season Ticket

https://na.eventscloud.com/ereg/popu...eakerid=245682

He did go to Oxford so sounds like he’s the man you referenced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk