Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hull KR game

Got A Season Ticket

It isn't true to say 'the precious pandemics fizzled out'. Many persisted over centuries and only disappeared with human interventions: vaccination, public health measures of other kinds, including isolation. We must be wary of thinking this one will go away by itself.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    It isn't true to say 'the precious pandemics fizzled out'. Many persisted over centuries and only disappeared with human interventions: vaccination, public health measures of other kinds, including isolation. We must be wary of thinking this one will go away by itself.
    Was in the peak District yesterday called in at Eyam village, they cut themselves off from the rest of the world and scacrificed themselves via isolation from the bubonic plague. Mary Hadfield saw all her family die and 13 relatives in total, she survived.

Starting A Programme Collection

Has there been any sort of news about the Huddersfield match being officially called off, when were our players officially told to isolate, Nothing on the saints website so it looks ominous

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

What more can be done beyond vaccinating everybody though?

I agree with Dave's post, we're at the point where not much more can be done in the UK now the majority have been vaccinated. Like flu it will never fully disappear from our lives unfortunately and different variations of the vaccine will be made to combat variants like flu as we go through life. We just need to hope the rest of the world can fully vaccinate everyone asap too
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Just read an article which says that this pandemic is going exactly the same way as the two major ones of last century, numerous strains develop as it looks for new hosts, so although becoming more infectious as it spreads it becomes less virulent, hence so many people having it in such a mild form, especially when vaccinated, completely agree with the majority on here who say we just have to live with it (hopefully) and not let it control our lives, the normal death rate is about 1400 people a day from all causes, between 400 and 500 people a day die because of some sort of cancer, we should just look at it in those terms until it gradually peters out to become almost insignificent
    Last edited by Woolyback; 23rd July 2021 at 08:51.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Has there been any sort of news about the Huddersfield match being officially called off, when were our players officially told to isolate, Nothing on the saints website so it looks ominous
    I believe we did the tests on Mon and got the results when they turned up for training Tues. We have a 10 day Isolation. Assuming we started isolating on the Tuesday, the 10th day is Thursday. I would think that isolation would be until midnight Thursday?? Sky have selected our game for Thurs which seems a bit strange, As we may not be able to play Thurs but probably could play as scheduled on the Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I believe we did the tests on Mon and got the results when they turned up for training Tues. We have a 10 day Isolation. Assuming we started isolating on the Tuesday, the 10th day is Thursday. I would think that isolation would be until midnight Thursday?? Sky have selected our game for Thurs which seems a bit strange, As we may not be able to play Thurs but probably could play as scheduled on the Friday.
    Cheers for that, website now just reads words to the effect no news yet, 16 strong list of critical industry workers who do not need to self isolate just announced, elite sportsmen/women not on it, the RFLC should get onto it fast, sportsmen work in the open air they should be exempt, the game cannot wait until mid August

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

The Spanish Flu is still with us, but when I say "fizzled out", enough of the world built up antibodies for it to fade into a background issue rather than remaining a foreground one and that happened within a couple of years.

I think you have to look at viruses that rip through the world at great speed rather differently than those that don't, and clearly the Spanish Flu is the closest example we can pick from history.

Many of the most deadly contagious diseases that lasted centuries that disappeared due to human intervention were in fact bacterial infections. The plague reappears time and time again under various names, but this is not a virus.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    The Huddersfield game is down for Wednesday 28th July. The game that Sky have moved to Thursday is Castleford in early August.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    The Huddersfield game is down for Wednesday 28th July. The game that Sky have moved to Thursday is Castleford in early August.
    Either my mind elsewhere, or senility catching up.

Cheers for that, website now just reads words to the effect no news yet, 16 strong list of critical industry workers who do not need to self isolate just announced, elite sportsmen/women not on it, the RFLC should get onto it fast, sportsmen work in the open air they should be exempt, the game cannot wait until mid August
    It might be fanciful to imagine that rugby league could be classified as a “critical industry” when the majority of the UK population either doesn’t know it exists or doesn’t care.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    It might be fanciful to imagine that rugby league could be classified as a “critical industry” when the majority of the UK population either doesn’t know it exists or doesn’t care.
    It might not be a critical industry, but you can bet your life that professional footballers would have been allowed to have the alternative of daily testing if their season had been in progress, as I said rugby league players train and work in the open air, it's now acknowledged that there is very little chance of transmission in the fresh air

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    The Spanish Flu is still with us, but when I say "fizzled out", enough of the world built up antibodies for it to fade into a background issue rather than remaining a foreground one and that happened within a couple of years.

I think you have to look at viruses that rip through the world at great speed rather differently than those that don't, and clearly the Spanish Flu is the closest example we can pick from history.

Many of the most deadly contagious diseases that lasted centuries that disappeared due to human intervention were in fact bacterial infections. The plague reappears time and time again under various names, but this is not a virus.
    I'm not sure that from the point of view of control, it matters all that much if the illness is caused by a virus or bacteria; I'm also not sure that speed of spread is a critical factor. Cholera (bacterial) spread really quickly by the standards of the day (early 19th century), and the 1832 episode was tracked on its way to the UK in newspapers, eventually arriving via Sunderland. The viral infections of smallpox (which became endemic in much of the world), measles (similarly) were both controlled through isolation/quarantine and vaccination. We effectively eliminated smallpox; measles is controlled in many places - though there are recurrent devastating outbreaks in parts of the world where vaccination is either unavailable or refused. Measles, like Covid, causes both death and permanent disability (deafness, blindness). The other example in my mind when posting was Ebola, which has a much higher mortality rate than Covid, but is mercifully much less infectious. In all these cases we have a number of public health interventions we use, and it's the combination of them that brings success. An important point about vaccination is that each disease requires a certain percentage of the population to be vaccinated to put infection on a downward trend. Clearly, at about 54% vaccinated, we have not reached that point, even accounting for the percentage of the population who have had Covid and survived (who therefore have antibodies to contribute to herd immunity).
    The problem is that Covid is a novel virus, and has its own particular epidemiology. The Johnson experiment really doesn't take that into account; nor does it factor in other evidence, such as the fact that, at this point, the nations that have tackled Covid in the firmest ways are also those who have the best records for preserving health and their economies. I think everyone accepts that Covid will be with us for the foreseeable future. We hope it will mutate into something more benign; but it might mutate into something more deadly. Johnson's experiment, giving the virus the opportunity to mutate, is based on the former. But it is an experiment, and it will cost lives, as well as ruin many people's health. If he had patience (a quality required in a pandemic) he would have waited longer. We were on a downward trend, within reach of asserting control, in the way we managed with smallpox etc; but it seems to me (and it's too early to draw firm conclusions) that we've leaped into the dark.

Hull K R 26 10 up at half time, come on the Robins!

Learning All The Songs

Hull K R 26 10 up at half time, come on the Robins!
    Crashed and burned in the second half

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    Crashed and burned in the second half

Was it on TV? I searched through Sport on Sky and didn’t find it. Have they decided to stop showing Rugby League because that’s the only reason I subscribe?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Was it on TV? I searched through Sport on Sky and didn’t find it. Have they decided to stop showing Rugby League because that’s the only reason I subscribe?
    No just saw score but they conceded big half time lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    It was in the news this week that the tv broadcasting of the Catalan games has terminated.