Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will Hopoate

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Only seen Dodd play against Wakefield & unless he was playing to orders he looked like Richardson mark 2 , ie not one on one tackle . For sure not as effective as Theo . Scored a nice try , beat one man 10 metres from there line .

From the little I have seen dodd already has a superior passing and kicking game to fages, I have no doubts he won't have a adverse effect on the team if he was to start ahead of fages

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Really harsh he has played a big part in our transformation from nearly men to back to back winners. He’s been a massive upgrade on Ryan Morgan and spent most of 2019 completely unmarked as teams were so shocked we could attack down the right again. Even in the grand final it was Naiqama who made the half break in the last set to set up the drop goal/ Welsby moment.

He’s not hit the heights this year for sure, whether that’s age catching up or homesick with the pandemic, but whomever replaces him, whether it’s Hopoate or anyone else, has a big role to play to be able to replace Naiqama 2019/2020
    I reckon Makinson will see more ball coming from Hopoate than Naiqama, but the other side of the coin is that Hopoate might not be as aggressive chasing a ball and player on our our end of set kick.

In The South Stand

Default Will Hopoate

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Really harsh he has played a big part in our transformation from nearly men to back to back winners. He’s been a massive upgrade on Ryan Morgan and spent most of 2019 completely unmarked as teams were so shocked we could attack down the right again. Even in the grand final it was Naiqama who made the half break in the last set to set up the drop goal/ Welsby moment.

He’s not hit the heights this year for sure, whether that’s age catching up or homesick with the pandemic, but whomever replaces him, whether it’s Hopoate or anyone else, has a big role to play to be able to replace Naiqama 2019/2020
    I’m not saying he’s rubbish, more that it shouldn’t be too difficult to find someone who can perform at his level as he’s nothing special.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Simm is an upgrade on him when he comes in - he looks like he could be a top centre. Same goes for Welsby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kev like a few others who are coming to the end of their contracts, have been very good players for us and have served us well but they are starting to become less and less effective as time goes on

It is time to let some of these players go as if we give them renewals they will be on big money and their legs will be all but gone, I really think both he and coote will be all but finished in 18 months time let alone 24 months

Been a good player for us in successful team but should be easy enough to replace if we are being honest

Learning All The Songs

I like Naiqama, but I do think he has been massively disappointing this season. Defensively seems at sea more often than not.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    I like Naiqama, but I do think he has been massively disappointing this season. Defensively seems at sea more often than not.
    his biggest weakness is the tendency to rush out from the defensive line and leave gaps for the opposition

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    his biggest weakness is the tendency to rush out from the defensive line and leave gaps for the opposition
    I think our defensive set up puts a lot of pressure on our centres. We play a very compressed defensive line and our three-quarters rush up and in when teams go wide to try and stop them getting around us. Naiqama tended to get it right last year but has got those reads wrong a few times this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Ideally put Welsby to centre and Hopoate to full back. If Welsby is to play full back next year my heart won't be able to stand it, everytime a bomb goes up??????? He's got butterfingers.
    Aye he's spilled a few but he was a young lad getting his first taste of big lad rugby. As he gets older and more game time his all round game will improve.
    Last edited by notawiginfan; 14th July 2021 at 18:49.

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Aye he's spilled a few but he was a young lad getting his first taste of big lad rugby. As he gets older and more game time his all round game will improve.
    He has improved a lot in the position, he is a lot more reliable under a bomb now.

I remember Steve Prescots first few games at full back. He couldn't catch a cold but then came good once he settled in.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Hopoate plays at 1 for Tonga under Woolf and has played almost as many NRL games there as he has at centre, so if there's any doubt about Welsby at 1 then he can slot in there with Welsby effectively replacing Naiqama.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Hopoate plays at 1 for Tonga under Woolf and has played almost as many NRL games there as he has at centre, so if there's any doubt about Welsby at 1 then he can slot in there with Welsby effectively replacing Naiqama.
    That would make it a good signing - two players who can cover both full back and right centre would be ideal in the current circumstances.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    That would make it a good signing - two players who can cover both full back and right centre would be ideal in the current circumstances.
    Yeah those two can interchange as Woolf sees fit. Wouldn't surprise me if we brought in an extra utility who can cover 1 and 7 too. We have Simm who can cover centre but an injury to Dodd or Lomax would put us under pressure next year.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I wouldn’t be averse to seeing Welsby get a couple of seasons under his belt at centre before moving to full back full time. Chance to rotate against the weaker sides anyway to get him some game time there.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I wouldn’t be averse to seeing Welsby get a couple of seasons under his belt at centre before moving to full back full time. Chance to rotate against the weaker sides anyway to get him some game time there.
    Personally, I think he could be Lomax's replacement at 6 in 3 or 4 years time

In The South Stand

Welsby has played a lot at Stand Off in the Academy.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Naiqama was sensational yesterday I thought. Didn't get much ball but worked his butt off defensively.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Naiqama was sensational yesterday I thought. Didn't get much ball but worked his butt off defensively.
    He certainly knows how to "party" he went completely mental when the bucks fizz super nova went up.

Starting A Programme Collection Mr.Yat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Have to agree and his peach of a pass to Makinson was nothing short of world class, however i just don't think we've seen him like that sufficient number of times tbh

Learning All The Songs

KN is a big game player for me and seems at his best when it counts the most. In that respect he reminds me very much of Kevin Iro when he was at Saint's.

I think KN has looked more effective when he has had to play on the wing this season tbh.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    KN is a big game player for me and seems at his best when it counts the most. In that respect he reminds me very much of Kevin Iro when he was at Saint's.

I think KN has looked more effective when he has had to play on the wing this season tbh.
    I agree, I think he’s been a great signing for us overall and will be missed when he leaves.

I posted this on the Welsby thread;

Naiqama has took some stick this season and sometimes rightly so.

He’s a big game player though and I thought he had a really good game yesterday. Hard to judge at this stage but I think he offers more than Will Hopoate will in the centre position. Naiqama passes more and Hopoate is pretty slow.

Welsby for me has to be in the spine at 6 or 1, I think we’ll see him at fullback.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Yat View Post
    Have to agree and his peach of a pass to Makinson was nothing short of world class, however i just don't think we've seen him like that sufficient number of times tbh
    Naiqama has been a good signing for Saints. Just looked at his stats... I'm not sure on his assists record, but he is averaging just over a try every other game over his three years with the club.

Hopoate put on a nice pass today, to put his winger away for a try against Souths- https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/18/...hs-v-bulldogs/ His record in terms of tries playing at either centre, full back or wing over his career in the NRL isn't great, but they are different competitions of course- https://www.bulldogs.com.au/teams/te...992.1626640128 Therefore if Saints do sign him, having strike around him may well be important.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post

Exactly this. A big game player. I said this ages ago.

He was our best player in the 2019 CC final loss to Wire
    He was second only to Thompson in the 2019 GF.
    A bit shaky in the 2020 GF against Wigan but made that half break in the last set, gaining valuable metres. And worked his tail off.
    His defence was phenomenal yesterday. Big effort from him and of course, putting Makinson in after receiving the pass from Welsby.

The guy is an ultimate professional. He is a pure athlete. Clearly looks after himself.

Been a terrific signing. I'll be sad to see him go but sure Hopoate will do a good job.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Exactly this. A big game player. I said this ages ago.

He was our best player in the 2019 CC final loss to Wire
    He was second only to Thompson in the 2019 GF.
    A bit shaky in the 2020 GF against Wigan but made that half break in the last set, gaining valuable metres. And worked his tail off.
    His defence was phenomenal yesterday. Big effort from him and of course, putting Makinson in after receiving the pass from Welsby.

The guy is an ultimate professional. He is a pure athlete. Clearly looks after himself.

Been a terrific signing. I'll be sad to see him go but sure Hopoate will do a good job.
    A good assessment Ralph, you have to have something special about you in order to captain your country.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Naiqima is the second best 'spotter' in the game the best I ever seen and all the golden oldies will remember this fella 'Sid Hynes' the Leeds centre back in the day , and he could look after his self as well .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I think he is fabulous at centre. Superb at injecting pace into the line but also creating space and timing the pass to the winger.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk