Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: CC Final team

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Castleford have put all their eggs in one basket. They last played the majority of their first team on 24th June.
    Players taking their children out of school and partners working from home.

We’ve tried to play all the matches we can, to come out of it with only Matautia missing we will have done okay. It’s just unfortunate it’s in a position (second row) where we are struggling. Nevertheless hopefully Cas come in well under cooked having not played and putting all this pressure on themselves for this fixture.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    So let me put this into perspective…

Cas change 75% of their team to likely none playing members the week before Wembley thus throwing the game so to speak against Salford who were struggling to pick a team and loaned a few in (two of our own to pick a team against them). Putting the games reputation at risk, maybe. Cheating, likely. Unsporting, almost certainly. They now have a full team to choose in the final with seemingly no retribution.

Saints play virtually a full squad resting only 2 players. We struggle to beat Wakefield away from home but never the less win anyway. We cop a two match ban for our only first choice fully fit back rower meaning he misses the same final. A punishment dished out by the RFL.

You literally couldn’t write it, the RFL is a pathetic spineless waste of space.
    Totally agree with everything written.

In The South Stand

So let me put this into perspective…

Cas change 75% of their team to likely none playing members the week before Wembley thus throwing the game so to speak against Salford who were struggling to pick a team and loaned a few in (two of our own to pick a team against them). Putting the games reputation at risk, maybe. Cheating, likely. Unsporting, almost certainly. They now have a full team to choose in the final with seemingly no retribution.

Saints play virtually a full squad resting only 2 players. We struggle to beat Wakefield away from home but never the less win anyway. We cop a two match ban for our only first choice fully fit back rower meaning he misses the same final. A punishment dished out by the RFL.

You literally couldn’t write it, the RFL is a pathetic spineless waste of space.
    They’re two completely unrelated situations.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Have seen both tackles as well and I can’t really complain. It may well be a shoulder to the head on the tackle on the kicker, which is hard to see without a zoom and a better camera altogether and the second one is a little harsh but I’ve seen them given before.

Shame because he’s actually started to settle and look a decent acquisition now but that’s life.
    I seem to remember the shoulder one if he got the one ban for that one we could have appealed. But having accrued 2 charge offences don't think we can get away with it, all the opposition fans would be up in arms if that happened.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Gutted for Matautia, he’s been improving week on week. The 2 games seems harsh to me.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Why, both challenge cup teams. ?????????

Quote Originally Posted by EddieVonEagle View Post
    Unfortunately, with the amount of extreme opinions on players etc. it's sometimes very hard to tell on this forum when people are being sarcastic, or if they just hate somebody!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Fair enough. I do agree with a previous poster he's been getting better week by week so it's definitely a set back. I don't rate Thompson, based only on his displays for us, at all.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

They’re two completely unrelated situations.
    Yes the situations are unrelated but they become relevant when the same governing body oversees both punishments and deems Castleford’s decision to blatantly bend the rules/ cheat if we are being direct not worthy of. It’s quite clear, even Daryl Powell admitted so, they had no intention of playing first team players the week before the cup final and submitted the points. I’m sure this has been the case for the two weeks previous also.
    The irony is the same governing body ban one of our first team players when the club has followed the rules. So what the moral of the story is… cheat and remain unpunished and keep the advantage for the bigger games. Correct me if I’m wrong?

In The West Stand

Coote
    Makinson Naiqama Percival Grace
    Lomax Dodd
    Walmsley Roby LMS
    Thompson Batchelor
    Knowles

Fages Welsby Lees Paasi

Straight swap for me (still not convinced Fages is fully fit). Yes, I would have preferred Mata’utia in the back row who has been settling in nicely, but have a feeling Thompson won’t let us down. He’s an experienced player whose played in big games and it’s his preferred side. It also takes away the brothers angle, and Pete is a hot and cold player at the best of times!

Learning All The Songs

We could move Lees to prop and LMS 2nd row.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Yes the situations are unrelated but they become relevant when the same governing body oversees both punishments and deems Castleford’s decision to blatantly bend the rules/ cheat if we are being direct not worthy of. It’s quite clear, even Daryl Powell admitted so, they had no intention of playing first team players the week before the cup final and submitted the points. I’m sure this has been the case for the two weeks previous also.
    The irony is the same governing body ban one of our first team players when the club has followed the rules. So what the moral of the story is… cheat and remain unpunished and keep the advantage for the bigger games. Correct me if I’m wrong?
    It does show up as Cas being a small time club, he has almost half way through the season surrendered the possibilty of getting into the play offs and put all eggs into the Wembley Basket.

Learning All The Songs

If Fages isn't fit it's because of all the unpunished late hits he's been taking. RFL

In The South Stand

Did we blatantly bend the rules in 2019 when we played weakened teams against London Broncos twice? It didn’t work for us in the final, anyway. We were debating as fans whether we should have done the same for the Wakefield game. I’m of the opinion that clubs can do what they want. Who defines weakened anyway and who decides who can and cannot play?

If Matautia wouldn’t have put himself in that situation by making a couple of stupid tackles it wouldn’t be an issue? We can’t grumble at the sport implementing the rules.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Coote
    Lomax Dodd
    Walmsley Roby LMS
    Thompson Batchelor
    Knowles

Fages Welsby Lees Paasi

Straight swap for me (still not convinced Fages is fully fit). Yes, I would have preferred Mata’utia in the back row who has been settling in nicely, but have a feeling Thompson won’t let us down. He’s an experienced player whose played in big games and it’s his preferred side. It also takes away the brothers angle, and Pete is a hot and cold player at the best of times!
    Only two forwards on the bench, one of which returned only last week. Big call that, mate. No Amor??
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Did we blatantly bend the rules in 2019 when we played weakened teams against London Broncos twice? It didn’t work for us in the final, anyway. We were debating as fans whether we should have done the same for the Wakefield game. I’m of the opinion that clubs can do what they want. Who defines weakened anyway and who decides who can and cannot play?

If Matautia wouldn’t have put himself in that situation by making a couple of stupid tackles it wouldn’t be an issue? We can’t grumble at the sport implementing the rules.
    You can grumble when it's not the same every game. The RFL have gone to work on teams this week, 13 incidents in our game reviewed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Agreed on all counts here.

Saints have a lot of form for fielding weakened teams before Cup Finals down the years. Clearly, it got us into trouble when Millward did it twice at Bradford and then there were the London games in 2019. The ironic thing is that the ploy didn't particularly work out well on many of the occasions. We still lost the Final in 2002, we ended up with the season-busting bans to Long and Gleeson as a result of doing it in 2004 and we lost the Final in 2019. We also fielded a severely weakened side at Huddersfield in 2008 and a team of kids at Catalans in 2006.

As for Mata'utia, if you don't want to get banned then you shouldn't commit offences that get you a ban. You can't blame the RFL for upholding the rules, as some are.

To be fair, though, the RFL do usually turn a blind eye to offences in the lead up to Wembley. It used to be a stand in joke that any ban issued would be the number of games to and including Wembley minus one.

I remember there being an uproar when Paul Newlove got sending off sufficient after being given a red card the week before the Final against Bradford at Twickenham.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    You can can grumble when it's not the same every game. The RFL have gone to work on teams this week, 13 incidents in our game reviewed.
    Hardly surprising. Our discipline stunk the place out. To be honest I'm surprised we've not ended up with more missing.

In The South Stand

You can can grumble when it's not the same every game. The RFL have gone to work on teams this week, 13 incidents in our game reviewed.
    Every game is different. Ours seemed to be ill-disciplined, so I’m not surprised to see it as high as it is. That’s how we play though, we play close to the line and sometimes get dinged continuously. It’s how Woolf has us playing and it’s successful. It’s no conspiracy, it’s no agenda, it’s no RFL anti Saints thing.

You can grumble when it's not the same every game. The RFL have gone to work on teams this week, 13 incidents in our game reviewed.
    They even looked at the Percival incident for holding down. I mean c"mon.

At least the ref hasn't been into Castleford this week for tea and biscuits and to receive his instructions on how to referee the game

I mean that wouldn't happen before a cup final would it?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

I'm pretty sure that if it had been just the one incident from Mata'utia then a blind eye would have been turned. However, to let him off for two bannable offences in the same game would smack of favouritism. I don't think they've been given a choice.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand

Coote
    Lomax Fages
    Walmsley Roby Lees
    LMS Wingfield
    Knowles

Welsby Amor Paasi Thompson

We can't go into the game with 2 backs on the bench, which would be the obvious outcome if Matautia was replaced by Fages coming back. Amor has to be on the bench if fit. Dodd or Welsby should miss out.

Got A Season Ticket

No point having a referee anymore, just review every game on the following week.
    They already do. You have to wonder what the point of the "on report" nonsense is. If there's anything the match review panel will see it, it's just a way of the ref saying he doesn't want to make a potentially controversial decision.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

The bottom line is that Castleford have apparently got away with blatant cheating/rule breaking/brought the game into disrepute-they got leathered by 60 before the semi!
    The RFL is a disgrace and the game is led by donkeys.
    They have blown another huge marketing opportunity over the disciplinary issue-I actually despair at just how shite the management of our game is.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Coote, Makinson, Naiqama, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Fages
    Walmsley, Roby, LMS/Lees
    Thompson, Batchelor
    Knowles

Paasi, Welsby, Amor, Lees/LMS

Can't see it being anything different from that to be honest