JB&B Leach Banner
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 400

Thread: 2022 ins and out ....

  1. #51
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,398
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Yeah, their academy is improving now however. It's probably still behind Saints, Wigan and Leeds but is probably the fourth most effective now. Eventually the investment they are making is going to result in them winning it and potentially winning a few once they break that duck. They've got a great chance this year, Wigan are awful and we potentially peaked last season and are about to have a rebuilding phase.

    Leeds and Catalans can still throw a spanner in their works though hopefully if we do drop away as it seems we might.
    There's more to it than just investing in the Academy, Wire have done that for years, their problem is they wont give most of the young lads a chance to establish themselves into the first team. They're so desperate for instant success they quickly bin off their youngsters and buy in from other clubs.

    Saints & Wigan operate differently, they promote first and then buy in when they don't have their own youngsters to take the place of players who leave. Wire just see most of their youngsters as a temporary solution to fill in for injuries and buying is always their first option.

    Over a quarter of a century of SL now has clearly shown which is the best system to operate if you want to consistently win titles !
    Maybe one day Wire will learn (then again maybe not )

  2. #52
    In The South Stand Noel Cleal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,612
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    I think apart from the conspiracy theories about Wires salary cap they are paying a similar amount as we are, except their marquee players, they are spending pretty much the same.

    I do think that the cap is being used as an excuse to move some players on (as it has been done by plenty of clubs previously). If we are all being honest none of us would see giving Coote a big 2 year deal as good business from the club. In the end Hull KR are bigging this up as a big signing from under our noses. Which isn't really true.

    The worries are that Bentley was a player we clearly would have liked to retain and we haven't made any signing for 2022 yet. But that doesn't mean that there aren't ones in the pipeline.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

  3. #53
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Saints have had our hands tied really because we have three youngsters who could be World class.

    Jack Welsby
    Lewis Dodd
    Tyler Pembeton

    All three should be SL stats and all three play key positions.

    I heard we asked Gaskell how much Wakey offerd him and now we're linked with Brierley so I think saints are looking for an experienced back up Option for next year

  4. #54
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Tyler pembleton? Who's that?

  5. #55
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,406
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgey91 View Post
    Tyler pembleton? Who's that?
    Taylor Pemberton. Saints site has him listed as a half back but he has captained England under 16s team whilst playing hooker.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  6. #56
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    8,569
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Taylor Pemberton. Saints site has him listed as a half back but he has captained England under 16’s team whilst playing hooker.
    Hooker and HB. The second Lewis Dodd?

  7. #57
    Got A Season Ticket guns86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    103
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    There's more to it than just investing in the Academy, Wire have done that for years, their problem is they wont give most of the young lads a chance to establish themselves into the first team. They're so desperate for instant success they quickly bin off their youngsters and buy in from other clubs.

    Saints & Wigan operate differently, they promote first and then buy in when they don't have their own youngsters to take the place of players who leave. Wire just see most of their youngsters as a temporary solution to fill in for injuries and buying is always their first option.

    Over a quarter of a century of SL now has clearly shown which is the best system to operate if you want to consistently win titles !
    Maybe one day Wire will learn (then again maybe not )
    I've always seen this as Saints, Wigan, Leeds etc signing players to fit around what they've developed. Warrington seem to like to sign multiple 'names' at various stages of their careers, and try and wedge everyone else in around them.

    It's only a matter of time before it clicks for them but it's still comedy it hasn't happened yet (and long may it continue)

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

  8. #58
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    6,002
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Hooker and HB. The second Lewis Dodd?
    Don't know if Rogues will confirm it but the Wigoons were watching him when he played for Leigh East u/16's. He signed for us and became prominent in our scholarship straight away, with Covid making it quiet in the scholarship and academy last year didnt realise he had been developing in the hooker role. I always thought he was going to be more like a Jack Welsby rather than a Lewis Dodd, we never really know what position they end up, for examples Adam Swift and Morgan Knowles started their youth careers similar to Taylor Pemberton at stand off.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 10th July 2021 at 07:24.

  9. #59
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    8,569
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Don't know if Rogues will confirm it but the Wigoons were watching him when he played for Leigh East u/16's. He signed for us and became prominent in our scholarship straight away, with Covid making it quiet in the scholarship and academy last year didnt realise he had been developing in the hooker role. I always thought he was going to be more like a Jack Welsby rather than a Lewis Dodd, we never really know what position they end up, for examples Adam Swift and Morgan Knowles started their youth careers similar to Taylor Pemberton at stand off.
    Lets hope he is another one that comes through like Welsby has.

  10. #60
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Lets hope he is another one that comes through like Welsby has.

    Pemberton has been training with the first team since he was 17. He is now a hooker and a fantastic one at that. Leigh lad but very highly thought of across the rugby network.

  11. #61
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    10,728
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Duplicated post.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

  12. #62
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    198
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Duplicated post.
    Dufty signed for bulldogs 1yr deal from next year

  13. #63
    Starting A Programme Collection Mike Stephenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    955
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    Dufty signed for bulldogs 1yr deal from next year
    Not confirmed yet but their coach has said after today's game that talks are ongoing and so likely to be announced next couple of days. Barrett's comments on him - "The game is lending itself to players with X-factor at the moment and he has certainly got that' is precisely what I thought he could bring to St Helens. Saints look strong when plan A works, but when the game becomes an arm wrestle, there's a need for some individual brilliance. Whether Welsby and/or Dodd can provide that next season, who knows?

    Speculating, I reckon Saints should have at least 500K to spend on the cap for 2022. I'm thinking of the money that was put aside for Bentley's extension, the second year of Thompson's contract, the 1 year extension offer for Coote, the salary offered to Fages and whatever the plan is for Naiqama spot in the list. Then there's the option to utilise the marquee player rule for two players. There's still some talent out there and as I've said before, they don't necessarily need to be off contract, given we've seen players be released from their deals when it suits both parties.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

  14. #64
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    8,569
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Pemberton has been training with the first team since he was 17. He is now a hooker and a fantastic one at that. Leigh lad but very highly thought of across the rugby network.
    Thank for the update. I don’t know anything about the lad.

  15. #65
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,892
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Titan i am glad to see someone else mention Pemberton i put a small mention in about how he had looked in an Academy match , i wouldnt be surprised if he were to follow Roby .

  16. #66
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,204
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I think that Arthur Mourgue is a fabulous player. If Catalans don’t tie him down to a long term contract in the future then Saints should be pulling out all the stops to nab him. Can't see it though!

  17. #67
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    6,002
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Agent Dan Norman out on loan to play against Castleford, needs to go out on a bruiser mission.

  18. #68
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,406
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Agent Dan Norman out on loan to play against Castleford, needs to go out on a bruiser mission.
    Ben Davies as well, hopefully both get decent game time.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  19. #69
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Titan i am glad to see someone else mention Pemberton i put a small mention in about how he had looked in an Academy match , i wouldnt be surprised if he were to follow Roby .
    Very good player pal. He played Loose today for our 19's. Saints want to keep the pressure off him a little bit but he will be in the team next year spelling with Roby i reckon (if goes around again).

  20. #70
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,406
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Very good player pal. He played Loose today for our 19's. Saints want to keep the pressure off him a little bit but he will be in the team next year spelling with Roby i reckon (if goes around again).
    Thats really positive to hear we might have a hooker coming through. Anyone else in that under 19 team you think could step up next year to cover first team injuries or ones to keep an eye on?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  21. #71
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,892
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I think i will have to get Saints TV now that i cant watch anything of any Academy games incidentaly i suppose most people know that Roby was a Scrum Half first.

  22. #72
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    That’s really positive to hear we might have a hooker coming through. Anyone else in that under 19 team you think could step up next year to cover first team injuries or ones to keep an eye on?
    Jumah Sambou is playing well. Centre, Winger from Warrington. Big lad who makes metres and scores tries.

    Cole Appleby - Big lump of a prop who if develops rightly will be a very good prop.

    To be fair we have some fantastic juniors comming through. I believe our u19, u17 and u16 are all unbeaten this year so far.

  23. #73
    In The South Stand Noel Cleal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,612
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    Dufty signed for bulldogs 1yr deal from next year
    He never felt a likely signing. When Saints are in the picture with NRL clubs it always feels like it is an attempt from an agent to increase offers.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

  24. #74
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Shouting in the South Stand
    Posts
    696
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    He never felt a likely signing. When Saints are in the picture with NRL clubs it always feels like it is an attempt from an agent to increase offers.
    The only person who thought that he was a likely signing was our very own Pseudo Stevo. It didn't matter how often he was told it was a none starter, he just kept on pushing it. It was never going to happen, maybe now he will give it up finally

  25. #75
    Starting A Programme Collection Mike Stephenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    955
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    The only person who thought that he was a likely signing was our very own Pseudo Stevo. It didn't matter how often he was told it was a none starter, he just kept on pushing it. It was never going to happen, maybe now he will give it up finally
    Haha 2112_Saint! I think if you read my posts thoroughly, you will see that I said Saints should go for him. It appears they did but couldn't convince him to move over here.

    You'll note I've also said that Saints will make new signings for 2022 and from the NRL. I said the club could look at Will Hopoate and looks like I'm correct on all of the above. This whilst I think you and some others on here, had said that Saints had no money to spend and wouldn't be bringing in signings from the NRL
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •