Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 ins and out ....

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Haha 2112_Saint! I think if you read my posts thoroughly, you will see that I said Saints should go for him. It appears they did but couldn't convince him to move over here.

You'll note I've also said that Saints will make new signings for 2022 and from the NRL. I said the club could look at Will Hopoate and looks like I'm correct on all of the above. This whilst I think you and some others on here, had said that Saints had no money to spend and wouldn't be bringing in signings from the NRL
    You may well be correct about Hopoate, seems like a decent fit for us. I'm not one who ever said that we had no money to spend, we will certainly be spending our full cap allowance of that I have no doubt at all. I do though stand by my feeling that Welsby will be full back next season, though Hopoate may interchange depending on how things work out, assuming we do sign Hopoate of course.

Banned

One thing that has gone un noticed is that how many of our younger players have gone on loan to other SL clubs and played at top level

eaves - loaned to leigh and wakefield (was top performer in the wakefield v leeds match)
    Norman - played amd scored for salford against cass yesterday
    Foster - played for salford and leigh. Scored last night
    Davies - played for leigh and salford
    Simm - played for leigh
    Yes i not alot played for leigh but its all experiance amd better than against championship teams

Nisbet - played for oldham
    Rizelli - also played for oldham i believe

All of this will add up and be a benifit to both the players and club in making sure next season if called upon then will have already had the experiance of playing against the big teams

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Foster - played for salford and leigh. Scored last night
    Isn't Foster still out with a broken jaw? Norman and Davies scored for Salford last night.

Or have I missed him coming back?
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The West Stand

I know it was against u11s but Norman posted some good numbers for Salford; 127m from 14 carries was Salfords best forward numbers I think. Ben Davies didn’t get much by the looks of it, but his try took some scoring

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Isn't Foster still out with a broken jaw? Norman and Davies scored for Salford last night.

Or have I missed him coming back?
    Nope its my bad your correct it was davies. Seen hull fchave announced they arw gona look for some loan players to make a squad for the next match. Wonder if they fancy any of ours

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Nope its my bad your correct it was davies. Seen hull fchave announced they arw gona look for some loan players to make a squad for the next match. Wonder if they fancy any of ours
    After Norman played 47 minutes for Salford on Sunday I'd be hoping he plays again for Salford against Wakefield before returning to Saints after the final to give Walmsley a rest. I'm not sure with Norman and Davies already out on loan whether we'd let any more go in cup final week.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Tyrone Peachey is being offered to SL.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    What's he like these days?

I know he's played mainly centre or stand-off in the past, but hasn't he been playing mostly 13 the last few years? If there's one position we don't need to fill, it's 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

I know he's played mainly centre or stand-off in the past, but hasn't he been playing mostly 13 the last few years? If there's one position we don't need to fill, it's 13.
    Report says..
    His career has seen him play in a number of positions, including loose forward, centre and back-row, though he has also played in the halves at times this season.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Hopefully we don’t sign him.

Report says..
    His career has seen him play in a number of positions, including loose forward, centre and back-row, though he has also played in the halves at times this season.
    He is a competitive little player but he doesn't really have position. I am not sure he is worth a quota spot at a top 4 club but he would work well with a team with a smaller squad.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

Peachey is good on his day, but its rarely his day. He come’s up with quite a few errors and it’s tough to see where his best position is. He’s had some good moments this season as a ball playing loose forward though.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Peachey is good on his day, but its rarely his day. He come’s up with quite a few errors and it’s tough to see where his best position is. He’s had some good moments this season as a ball playing loose forward though.
    He needs a coach who will get a grip of him and coax the best out of him, I’m not sure if Holbrook hasn’t been able to do that I’d be confident of anyone at this club managing to.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    He needs a coach who will get a grip of him and coax the best out of him, I’m not sure if Holbrook hasn’t been able to do that I’d be confident of anyone at this club managing to.
    Holbrook is picking him most weeks though- played 14 of the 16 rounds either at 13 or on the interchange, the stats say. Scored 4 tries and 6 try assists.

I've said earlier in the thread he's one Saints should inquire about, given his versatility which is increasingly important in the era of HIA. Can play in all the positions already mentioned and as a dummy half too. He's still quick off the mark.

He's reportedly on $600K, so he'd have to take a big pay cut you'd think if he comes to SL.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Holbrook is picking him most weeks though- played 14 of the 16 rounds either at 13 or on the interchange, the stats say. Scored 4 tries and 6 try assists.

I've said earlier in the thread he's one Saints should inquire about, given his versatility which is increasingly important in the era of HIA. Can play in all the positions already mentioned and as a dummy half too. He's still quick off the mark.

He's reportedly on $600K, so he'd have to take a big pay cut you'd think if he comes to SL.
    This is exactly why you shouldn’t scout players via stats.
    Peachey is sh*te. We shouldn’t go near him.
    He’s 29 and still not nailed down a position, he’s just a squad player at best.

We need to be signing quality players that have made a position their own. Someone who can come in and improve the quality of the starting line up. Not another Joseph Paulo who’s played here there and everywhere and isn’t good enough.

I’m not saying Holbrook isn’t picking him, I’m saying he’s either not getting the best out of him or he’s in fact just a bang average player who can’t nail down a spot in the starting 13 of a below average NRL team. Just don’t rate him personally.

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    This is exactly why you shouldnÂ’t scout players via stats.
    Peachey is sh*te. We shouldnÂ’t go near him.
    HeÂ’s 29 and still not nailed down a position, heÂ’s just a squad player at best.

We need to be signing quality players that have made a position their own. Someone who can come in and improve the quality of the starting line up. Not another Joseph Paulo whoÂ’s played here there and everywhere and isnÂ’t good enough.
    He would get in Saints' 17 I'm sure. As I say, I'm not sure he's worth ~ $600K but I think he's still a good player. I think he's a better player than Paulo. Who would you be looking at?

IÂ’m not saying Holbrook isnÂ’t picking him, IÂ’m saying heÂ’s either not getting the best out of him or heÂ’s in fact just a bang average player who canÂ’t nail down a spot in the starting 13 of a below average NRL team. Just donÂ’t rate him personally.
    As inconsistent as they are, I think they've got some talent at Gold Coast and to be fair to him, he's completing with Fifita & Fotuaika to get in their starting line up.

John Asiata is also off contract, weren't Saints rumoured to be in for him last year and he signed for Brisbane? He's another in the Peachey mold in terms of versatility.

There's some good second rows still on the off contract list over there, but players like Crichton, Su'a, Cartwright etc. aren't likely to be keen on the switch, so Saints are going to be looking at the next tier (or two, even) down.
    Last edited by Mike Stephenson; 12th July 2021 at 23:26.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

After Norman played 47 minutes for Salford on Sunday I'd be hoping he plays again for Salford against Wakefield before returning to Saints after the final to give Walmsley a rest. I'm not sure with Norman and Davies already out on loan whether we'd let any more go in cup final week.
    Another run out against Wakey who are not that bad, will give us more of an idea of whether or not he can fill in for AW.

He would get in Saints' 17 I'm sure. As I say, I'm not sure he's worth ~ $600K but I think he's still a good player. I think he's a better player than Paulo. Who would you be looking at?
    I’d be looking for a second row to replace Thompson. With Batchelor replacing Bentley.
    If we have signed Hopoate to replace Coote/Naiqama with Welsby taking the other spot the next position I’d be looking at is hooker.

Dodd appears to be first choice 7 next year which frees a bench spot, Smith and Eaves both have not had a look in and at this stage in their careers I don’t see how they could have a future at Saints. My preference would be signing a quality first choice hooker, Roby signing on for another year and could provide hooker/loose forward cover off the bench.
    Last edited by reliable sauce; 13th July 2021 at 07:58.

In The South Stand

I’d be looking for a second row to replace Thompson. With Batchelor replacing Bentley.
    If we have signed Hopoate to replace Coote/Naiqama with Welsby taking the other spot the next position I’d be looking at is hooker.

Dodd appears to be first choice 7 next year which frees a bench spot, Smith and Eaves both have not had a look in and at this stage in their careers I don’t see how they could have a future at Saints. My preference would be signing a quality first choice hooker, Roby signing on for another year and could provide hooker/loose forward cover off the bench.
    Yep - it’s becoming more obvious by the week that a dynamic replacement for Robes could help transform our attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

I think he's a better player than Paulo.

That's hardly high praise

I agree with what you're saying here, though the trouble is who's available? I think the biggest reason Gold Coast were said to have inquired about Daryl Clark earlier in the year, was because of a shortage of hookers over there.

It wouldn't surprise me if Saints look at Havili or Katoa. Both off contract and KW has picked both for Tonga. Saints were linked to Katoa earlier in the year weren't they? I've seen more of Havili and think he's the better of the two from what I've seen. This said, I'm not sure either are especially dynamic. It's a difficult situation for the club to manage at hooker, especially with the other changes you speak about.

Banned

I still think Smith deserves an extended chance at 9 to see if he can be Roby's successor.

I'd rather do that than buy a second-rate hooker from the NRL that probably wouldn't be an improvement but would cost 4/5-times as much in salary.

If others would prefer Eaves, then let's go with that instead.

I just think in the first instance we should give one of them a season (in tandem with a carefully-managed Roby) before panic-buying when there's no quality out there and available.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I wouldn’t pay stupid money for Peachey but he could be a revelation in super league where the game is less of a grind. If we signed him he would be best played in some sort of role like Jason Hooper played. In 2004 Hooper was our official stand off but that wasn’t really his game. Long and Sculthorpe were our link players. Hooper was given a free roam around the pitch to defend, score tries, charge down kicks etc. I reckon Peachey would play that role very well. He isn’t the best in any one position but he is skillful, strong, fast and elusive. Ive seen him score plenty long range tries with pace, short range tries with strength. I think he’s well suited to super league. Obviously if his attitudes right which isn’t always a given with NRL players.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Another Hohia disaster waiting to happen Jack of all trades absolute master of none !!!
    He can play FB, Centre, stand off, scrum half, hooker and LF but is just average at all of them. Absolutely NOT what Saints need