Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coote to Hull KR?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Bit of a stupid comment. Connolly was a St Helens lad that came up through our system so Saints had invested time and money in him. He jumped ship as soon as he saw the pound signs. Coote is a player who came here for a pay packet and has given us good service in return.
    Connolly jumped ship when the Wigan offer came in, but only after finding out how much some of the imports were on at Saint's, which made his wage look like sweetshop money.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Well said , good luck to Coote and his family .
    I'm certain he will get the ovation he deserves on any future visit here. Thanks Lachlan for some great memories

Quote Originally Posted by 58er View Post
    I'm certain he will get the ovation he deserves on any future visit here. Thanks Lachlan for some great memories
    Good Friday 2019 in particular

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Good Friday 2019 in particular
    YES

In the memory bank and never to be forgotten

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Everyone saying he hasn’t hit the heights this year, who has? We have been dogshit nearly every game we have played. Maybe he is fed up to the back teeth of the way we play and is not enjoying his rugby with us?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Isn't every club in the same boat though ?
    Not really, a large amount of our income is generated from use of the stadium for non rugby activities. Clubs renting their ground is sharing with football clubs did not lose that revenue.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Coote has been a great player for us, and i’ll never forget the Good Friday match at wigan in 2019. It was one of the best atmospheres at a game for a long time. It was a great day.
    He killed them that day and hes try against Hardaker was amazing.

I sometimes rewatch that match highlights and it never fails to put a smile on my face.

I wish him all the best. Hes in his twilight years. He has to now put finances before Trophies.

Hes won the LLS, GF x 2 and fingers crossed we can add a CC medal to his collection and send him on his way a happy man.

He's the reason.......

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

He was very good in 2019. Very very good. Decent last year. This year he’s gone down but i suppose he is getting older.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

Sad to see him go as he has been a brilliant player for Saints.
    This season he does seem to be struggling a bit and maybe its niggling injuries or age catching up. It's a similar situation I think to Matt Gidley who was great for two years and then his legs started to go in terms of his pace in his third year.

I can understand that Hull KR might be a better move. I honestly can't see him getting a contract in the NRL next year unless it was in a back up player role. A player of Matt Duftys ability can't even get a contract at the moment as competition for places in that position is fierce. I hope we are signing Dufty as the guy is only 25, and has loads of skill, ability and pace.

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    Sad to see him go as he has been a brilliant player for Saints.
    This season he does seem to be struggling a bit and maybe its niggling injuries or age catching up. It's a similar situation I think to Matt Gidley who was great for two years and then his legs started to go in terms of his pace in his third year.

I can understand that Hull KR might be a better move. I honestly can't see him getting a contract in the NRL next year unless it was in a back up player role. A player of Matt Duftys ability can't even get a contract at the moment as competition for places in that position is fierce. I hope we are signing Dufty as the guy is only 25, and has loads of skill, ability and pace.
    Well said.

Still a very skillful player but the spine of the team needs more pace.

I have made no secret of being keen on Dufty.

The club has been very quiet and this quietness is building an expectation that something
    big and good is coming ala Dufty.

If Saints then turn around and go and sign Ryan Brierley or Ashall-Bott there will be scenes.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by jonesch View Post
    bit dramatic. he's just looking after his family money wise
    Agreed if HKR are throwing silly money let him go, he is hardly going to one of our rivals.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

If he goes, he goes with my best wishes, rarely let us down and has been a good, honest pro who came over with the right attitude and not for a holiday.

With regards to our overseas signings, I always apply the “Josh Perry” conversion equation (patent pending)

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Connolly jumped ship when the Wigan offer came in, but only after finding out how much some of the imports were on at Saint's, which made his wage look like sweetshop money.
    Saints sold Gary connelly he did not want to leave

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsaregods View Post
    If he goes, he goes with my best wishes, rarely let us down and has been a good, honest pro who came over with the right attitude and not for a holiday.

With regards to our overseas signings, I always apply the “Josh Perry” conversion equation (patent pending)
    I raise you and apply the “Joseph Paulo” conversion equation

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by greggo View Post
    Whilst he didn't ideally want to leave, that only tells half the story.

Before he left for his off season stint with Canterbury Bankstown, he'd rejected Saints' new contract offer and, while in Oz, was making noises about signing permanently for Canterbury.

This was the days of big transfer fees but there was a standard £70k fee between the UK and ARL, which would have left us well out of pocket to sign a replacement of equivalent quality.

So we panicked and offered him to wi*an and that £250k fee was agreed.

By all accounts, the club lowballed him with the contract offer.

That summer, though, was gutting. We'd lost the league only in points difference, with Ward having his career ended in the GF draw at Central Park. Losing both Ward and Connolly that summer was crushing and sent us backwards.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by greggo View Post
    and got Adam Fogerty on a free at the same time, they really knew how to do business in those days.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Whilst he didn't ideally want to leave, that only tells half the story.

Before he left for his off season stint with Canterbury Bankstown, he'd rejected Saints' new contract offer and, while in Oz, was making noises about signing permanently for Canterbury.

This was the days of big transfer fees but there was a standard £70k fee between the UK and ARL, which would have left us well out of pocket to sign a replacement of equivalent quality.

So we panicked and offered him to wi*an and that £250k fee was agreed.

By all accounts, the club lowballed him with the contract offer.

That summer, though, was gutting. We'd lost the league only in points difference, with Ward having his career ended in the GF draw at Central Park. Losing both Ward and Connolly that summer was crushing and sent us backwards.
    What I don't believe for a minute is that Gary Connolly knew nothing of Wigan's interest. This is bona-fide bollocks. Everybody knew at the time that he had a three way choice between Saints, Canterbury and Wigan. It had been talked about for weeks beforehand that those three clubs had all made offers. If Connolly didn't know, then all he had to do was have a word with me. :-) I wrote to the Rugby Leaguer about it back in May 1993, imploring him to bloody make his mind up so we could go and get Paul Newlove before he went somewhere else. He didn't and Newlove moved to Bradford.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by A.O.88 View Post
    Sounds like anywhere is offering to pay better than us at the minute.

Be a shame to lose him, especially to another super league club but like everyone he needs to get as much money as he can for the time he has left.
    I think we are having to pay good money to keep our home grown players. Knowles, welsby etc. Leaving us a bit Short for imports etc

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    What I don't believe for a minute is that Gary Connolly knew nothing of Wigan's interest. This is bona-fide bollocks. Everybody knew at the time that he had a three way choice between Saints, Canterbury and Wigan. It had been talked about for weeks beforehand that those three clubs had all made offers. If Connolly didn't know, then all he had to do was have a word with me. :-) I wrote to the Rugby Leaguer about it back in May 1993, imploring him to bloody make his mind up so we could go and get Paul Newlove before he went somewhere else. He didn't and Newlove moved to Bradford.
    Uncle Maurice was tapping Connolly up on the GB tour in 92 , only a matter of time before he went there .

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Well said.

Still a very skillful player but the spine of the team needs more pace.

I have made no secret of being keen on Dufty.

The club has been very quiet and this quietness is building an expectation that something
    big and good is coming ala Dufty.

If Saints then turn around and go and sign Ryan Brierley or Ashall-Bott there will be scenes.

Gerry, I think you're right- I also think Saints will make a big signing to replace Coote.

McManus is a proud man, he will know that the club PR team can call Jack Welsby the 'young king' all they want, but he's still got a lot to prove and he knows the fans like to see exciting signings. Fages being replaced with Dodd too, magnifies this even more. Welsby has come on lots this year, but in my opinion, he shouldn't be first choice full back next season. He should be a first choice centre with Percival.

Dufty? He would be the ideal replacement for Coote. I know Saint Toppy says he can't pass and can't tackle, but he seemed to do okay in both departments today https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/02/...ors-v-dragons/
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    I raise you and apply the “Joseph Paulo” conversion equation
    You leave me no alternative, “Michael O’Connor”

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Everyone saying he hasn’t hit the heights this year, who has? We have been dogshit nearly every game we have played. Maybe he is fed up to the back teeth of the way we play and is not enjoying his rugby with us?
    Not like you to be negative.

You ok hun?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    At the time I was told it came about because of the 92 tour of Australia where Maurice Lyndsay was in his ear every day about how much he could earn at Wigan. Lyndsay had the other Wigan players keep winding him up about what kind of car Saints provided etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsaregods View Post

Unfair. You can never lose with that comparison.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Unlike Barba who only got to May in his first full season before the NRL rumours started, Coote has signed and will have seen out his contract that's all I expect.
    We've won 2 GFs and more could come this season and as long as he doesn't sign for Wigan or Wire I don't blame the guy.
    From a Saints POV he'll be 32 early next season so I was expecting no more than 12mths if he did sign which I didn't think he would anyway, I thought he'd go back to Aus.