Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Books

Learning All The Songs

Default Books

Thought I’d start a thread about what people are reading and we can discuss and recommend books.

I just got ‘hitting against the spin’ about the use of data in cricket, if you are interested in cricket it is a very good read, although perhaps not as enlightening as I thought it would be it certainly explains how and why cricket (all types) has changed.

Banned

Very rarely without a book on the go. Don't have a rigid genre preference, and my next 3 books lined up are:

The 3rd book in the Baru Cormorant series, The Tyrant Baru Cormorant (Seth Dickinson). On the same lines as A Song of Fire and Ice (Games of Thrones) but without the bewildering number of POVs.

St Helens: The Great and the Good (Brian Leyland) about famous and noteworthy people from this town over the years.

Pigs Might Fly: The Inside Story of Pink Floyd. I'm a huge Floyd fan and have read a few books on them. Waiting for Roger Waters' autobiography, which I understand is going to be rather warts and all.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Currently reading When the Eagle Hunts by Simon Scarrow. In my truck for when i'm down the road.

Ive got a Chris Ryan book on the go at home.

Got a "Amos Decker" book from David Baldacci's works.

Got "The Last Hour" by Harry Sidebottom loitering somewhere as well.

Starting A Programme Collection

for sporting autobiography sean long and mal rileys are both really good and larry holmes is if you like your boxing

The Bernard cornwell Thomas of hookton archer books are v good harlequin, heretic and vagabond and if you like a bit of true crime the guvnor by lenny mclean moody by wensley Clarkson and the westies by t j English are all good reads

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    for sporting autobiography sean long and mal rileys are both really good and larry holmes is if you like your boxing

The Bernard cornwell Thomas of hookton archer books are v good harlequin, heretic and vagabond and if you like a bit of true crime the guvnor by lenny mclean moody by wensley Clarkson and the westies by t j English are all good reads
    For outside rugby league I’d recommend the autobiography’s of Lawrence Dallaglio, Marcus Trescothick, Dylan Hartley, Clive Woodward, Eddie Jones, Kevin Pietersen, Alex Ferguson and Bobby Charlton. Dallaglio and Trescothick’s books are worth reading even if you’re not fans of the sport. The rest you need probably need an interest in the sport apart from Woodward’s book ‘Winning’, there’s a lot in there about how to build winning mentality and culture.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Andre Agassi's autobiography is a brilliant read, one of the best sports books I've ever read

Banned

In terms of non-sporting autobiographies, this one is a clear winner for me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Nice_(book)

It was a long ambition of mine to meet Howard Marks, sadly ended by his early death in 2016

Just looking at my bookshelf, I've actually got that Pink Floyd book (Pigs Might Fly) on there but I've not read it

It's next to 'Shoe Dog' by the guy that created Nike - which is a fascinating read

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    For outside rugby league I’d recommend the autobiography’s of Lawrence Dallaglio, Marcus Trescothick, Dylan Hartley, Clive Woodward, Eddie Jones, Kevin Pietersen, Alex Ferguson and Bobby Charlton. Dallaglio and Trescothick’s books are worth reading even if you’re not fans of the sport. The rest you need probably need an interest in the sport apart from Woodward’s book ‘Winning’, there’s a lot in there about how to build winning mentality and culture.

Yes LD and Pietersen books both excellent even if both men do come across as fairly unlikeable I'll give trescothick's and Agassi's a go

If you're interested in history I've just read Never Greater Slaughter Brunanburh and the birth of England by Michael Livingston. I've got a better understanding about our (including Wales, Scotland and Ireland) past.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    If you're interested in history I've just read Never Greater Slaughter Brunanburh and the birth of England by Michael Livingston. I've got a better understanding about our (including Wales, Scotland and Ireland) past.
    I have got my history knowledge of that era from the Bernard Cornell Novels, but I have put your suggestion on my next to read list.

Thanks

Thanks BB. Cornell does the foreward to this. Hard to believe he's American. I read the Danes in Lancashire which was a bit textbook ish but very interesting. Livingston writes his book in more of a story style which makes it much easier to digest. There's lots of local interest if you know this ( Lancs and Wirral) region.

Got A Season Ticket

Can I suggest my sixth novel "Three Good Years" with its background of Work, Family Life, Saving the NHS and Rugby League and set during the 2006, 2007 and 2008 seasons. More details on my web site geofflee.net
    Not many novels written in which the main character has been a Saints fan since 1947!

Got A Season Ticket

Glad I came across this thread, I need to find my kindle, I'm sure I've got a few unread on there.