Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Length of contracts

Default Length of contracts

Following on from several threads, do Saints need to think about the length of the contracts we are offering players, particularly the younger players in the squad? I understand 2 and 3 years deals for overseas players and 1 year extensions for older players, but should we be signing people like Farges, Bentley, Knowles, Dodds, Lees, Welsby, etc on 4 to 5 years deals to prevent the exodus we are seeing now? It seems we just renew in these contracts in 2 year blocks at the moment. Is there something I don’t know about the salary cap that means that 2 year contract increments means that you can manage the cap better?

I appreciate that giving a player a longer deal might make them too comfy, but it seems at the moment that we are always prey to the NRL or a raid from other clubs that seem to ignore the cap.

Contracts have been shorter recently by many teams due to uncertainty of Covid and financial constraints that’s why so many players are up for renewal at seasons end.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    Following on from several threads, do Saints need to think about the length of the contracts we are offering players, particularly the younger players in the squad? I understand 2 and 3 years deals for overseas players and 1 year extensions for older players, but should we be signing people like Farges, Bentley, Knowles, Dodds, Lees, Welsby, etc on 4 to 5 years deals to prevent the exodus we are seeing now? It seems we just renew in these contracts in 2 year blocks at the moment. Is there something I don’t know about the salary cap that means that 2 year contract increments means that you can manage the cap better?

I appreciate that giving a player a longer deal might make them too comfy, but it seems at the moment that we are always prey to the NRL or a raid from other clubs that seem to ignore the cap.
    The longer contracts seem to be for the young ones with outstanding abilty prospects or the likes of Walmsley. Its a tricky one for an overseas player if clubs offer 1yr or 2yr or 3yr deals they might go for a club offering a 3 yr deal with an opt out clause. For me next season if we have quite a lot of salary cap money we should go for a marquee Barba type signing just for 1 year instead of a 2 yr deal. We are in uncertain times and we should focus on bringing Foster and Wingfield through, those two have a lot of talent.

I think the days of signiing 6 or 7 overseas players are diminishing the quality and money is just not going to be there.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

The 2 main things the club will think about are A) Salary b) Length of contract.

It’s obviously a lot harder in a salary capped sport than it is in say football negotiating salaries, length of contracts etc.

Welsby has just signed a long term deal.
    Bentley, Lees whilst having massive potential still needed to prove themselves before getting the bumper contract they could achieve. Signing players to long term deals isn’t always a great idea either, the club are then locked into that and if the player becomes unhappy/seriously injured/out of form the club need to stick by them unless a club would be willing to take him off us which would be unlikely in those circs.

I have no problem with the club saying to the likes of Lees we’ll give you a 2 year contract, prove your fitness and worth and you’ll get the big contract you want rather than over paying on a contract that he isn’t currently worth preventing cap space that could be used elsewhere.

In regards to Knowles he’s absolutely class consistently and this may be a case where he or his agent advise against a long term deal incase interest comes from the NRL, I’ve no doubt the club would love him to sign a long term deal.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I’m sure we’d be wanting to tie down the likes of Grace and Knowles on long term contracts but it depends on the players ambitions as to where they want to play and what they want to earn. Why sign a 5 year deal when you could sign a 2 year deal that gives you better options should you want to test yourself in the NRL or effectively guarantee yourself a pay rise after 2 years.

I’m 100% positive we’d be tying these players down long term if we could and we have done with several players. I think the key is the 3 overseas players we signed last year were only given 2 year deals (option of 3rd year for Mata’utia & Paasi) so we don’t get burned like we did with Perry, Hohaia, Douglas etc
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I’m sure we’d be wanting to tie down the likes of Grace and Knowles on long term contracts but it depends on the players ambitions as to where they want to play and what they want to earn. Why sign a 5 year deal when you could sign a 2 year deal that gives you better options should you want to test yourself in the NRL or effectively guarantee yourself a pay rise after 2 years.

I’m 100% positive we’d be tying these players down long term if we could and we have done with several players. I think the key is the 3 overseas players we signed last year were only given 2 year deals (option of 3rd year for Mata’utia & Paasi) so we don’t get burned like we did with Perry, Hohaia, Douglas etc
    Were the options for another year in the clubs favour or the players. I’m sure it wasn’t mentioned at the time, or perhaps i missed that ?.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Were the options for another year in the clubs favour or the players. I’m sure it wasn’t mentioned at the time, or perhaps i missed that ?.
    No idea. Thought they generally tended to be in the clubs favour though.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.