Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wire’s salary sombrero

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Perhaps Saints believe that negotiations should be carried out as far as possible in private without alerting potential competitors as to our intentions, with announcements following completion of agreements with players.
    I'm hoping that's the case. But we usually know well in advance when we're interested in a player. There is no such push for the player's agent to be like that, interest from one club usually means a press story to try to increase the offer from their existing club.

I may come across as overly critical of the club. I will point out that our recruitment has been a lot better recently. We had a disastrous spell after we moved into the new ground where we signed some truly awful players and didn't seem to be trying to be successful. I'm concerned we're back there because of the losses due to covid, but I hope I'm just being paranoid and there are a few deals in the pipeline.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    Indeed it could, especially if they are allowed to get away with feigning injury to stop opposition attacks.
    https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk...gh-centurions/

I assume you're talking about Toby King who is now out of the England match because of his very real knee injury.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    We had a disastrous spell after we moved into the new ground where we signed some truly awful players and didn't seem to be trying to be successful.

Again, the rewriting of history.

We signed players - Perry, Laffranchi, Hohaia - who were, on paper, really good recruits. Perry got injured before he came here and treated his time as a paid holiday. We played Laffranchi as a battering ram forward, for which he wasn't suited. We moved Hohaia around through 1, 6, 7, 9; when playing him at HB had him next to rookie players.

We didn't set out to buy duds, and we didn't sign players on the cheap.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford Exile View Post
    https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk...gh-centurions/

I assume you're talking about Toby King who is now out of the England match because of his very real knee injury.
    Yes, I am. If you were at the game I assume you noticed that he managed to put up with the obvious pain just fine when Wire had the ball. It became completely unbearable only when we had the ball threatening their line. If you expect me to feel some sort of guilt, which I guess you do from your post, you are mistaken. He knew exactly what he was doing. He should have been off the field, there is little doubt about that I think. What he should not have done is to only collapse in a heap when we had the ball. It is cheating plain & simple. If you want to watch behaviour like that, I certainly don't.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    Yes, I am. If you were at the game I assume you noticed that he managed to put up with the obvious pain just fine when Wire had the ball. It became completely unbearable only when we had the ball threatening their line. If you expect me to feel some sort of guilt, which I guess you do from your post, you are mistaken. He knew exactly what he was doing. He should have been off the field, there is little doubt about that I think. What he should not have done is to only collapse in a heap when we had the ball. It is cheating plain & simple. If you want to watch behaviour like that, I certainly don't.
    :: thumbs up ::

There was also no need for Kendall to stop the game, wasn't a head injury.
    Last edited by Webbo Again; 21st June 2021 at 21:27.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Again, the rewriting of history.

We signed players - Perry, Laffranchi, Hohaia - who were, on paper, really good recruits. Perry got injured before he came here and treated his time as a paid holiday. We played Laffranchi as a battering ram forward, for which he wasn't suited. We moved Hohaia around through 1, 6, 7, 9; when playing him at HB had him next to rookie players.

We didn't set out to buy duds, and we didn't sign players on the cheap.
    We signed Stuart Howarth, Matty Dawson and Jack Owens too. We weren't exactly dining at the top table.

Got A Season Ticket

:: thumbs up ::

There was also no need for Kendall to stop the game, wasn't a head injury.
    That is where the problem really lies. If it is a head injury then the game should be stopped, but if the doctor enters the pitch for a serious injury of any kind then the ref has to stop the game. So Warrington were bringing on the Doctor for all injuries, the ref see's it and assumes that the injury is serious so halts the game. The use of the Doctor in this way by the club should be examined and stopped. Maybe if a Doctor enters the field then that player should be removed from the pitch immediately and a 5 min substitution allowed to evaluate if a full substitution is allowed. Although even that you can see flaws that an unscrupulous coach could exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post
    That is where the problem really lies. If it is a head injury then the game should be stopped, but if the doctor enters the pitch for a serious injury of any kind then the ref has to stop the game. So Warrington were bringing on the Doctor for all injuries, the ref see's it and assumes that the injury is serious so halts the game. The use of the Doctor in this way by the club should be examined and stopped. Maybe if a Doctor enters the field then that player should be removed from the pitch immediately and a 5 min substitution allowed to evaluate if a full substitution is allowed. Although even that you can see flaws that an unscrupulous coach could exploit.
    Absolutely something needs to be done to prevent this unscrupulous tactic, but it’s a really difficult area. The ref and the rules need to protect player welfare as much as possible. The problem lies in teams and coaches abusing the rules. Prime examples of this were apparent last week. And don’t forget Hill’s cynical ‘head injury assessment’ during the CC final. Wire consistently have players dropping to the floor like a sniper got them when their line is threatened. Price as a coach I s the most obvious abuser of the rules designed to protect welfare, and this abuse is a real concern.
    How you combat a team that plays with no moral compass, being coached to abuse something meant to protect them is a difficult question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The boy who literally cried wolf ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    We signed Stuart Howarth, Matty Dawson and Jack Owens too. We weren't exactly dining at the top table.

OK, you perhaps have a point after all

Banned

OK, you perhaps have a point after all

(although, for the sake of accuracy, Howarth and Owens were signed 3/4 years after we moved, and both intended as cover)

Banned

Hang on Webbo, Owens was PHENOMINAL. Lucky he chose us.

Got A Replica Shirt

Been watching Warrington v Wigan tonight and was wondering how on earth Warrington had managed to fit Robert Hicks under their salary cap. One of their most influential players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I think we need to focus on ourselves and stop worrying about them.

They have a very wealthy owner so money not really an object. They haven't been done for any salary cap infringements. We have although a long time ago. They will win super league sooner rather than later. I suspect this season. They're a good team who have us sussed.

Post 2021, we will struggle for a while. Need to rebuild and bring the average age of the squad down. Too many over 30s in the side. The way this sport is being played getting bashed for 80 minutes, most will peak mid 20s.

We need some real aggression at prop, and 2 big back rowers who can play rugby. Why Norman isn't playing is beyond me. Get him in the team. We need a 9 as well. And we should be looking at Parcell
    Don't think our rich owner is as interested as he once was .

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Don't think our rich owner is as interested as he once was .
    Then you haven’t seen the interview he has just done.