Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Short Term Future

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I don’t see the point in playing Dodd at 9 just to give him some sort of game time. Roby, Eaves, Smith, Fages should be at 9 before Dodd. If Dodds not playing 7 then don’t play him at all.

I dont think that position is a sub 9. Its a 14 role,
    Cover of injury outside backs 1,6,7,9. If no njury then a blow for roby.

If eaves, smith cant cover them positions then i dont see how you can replaces dodds with them.

I agree smith an eaves need to play but that should be as a starting hooker playing 60+ minutes.

I think in the short term we will replace Coote with hopefully Dufty and Naiqama with Welsby who has done enough to be given a season at least with no.3 on his back. That gives us a strong and reasonably aged young backline. Keeping Grace might be an issue but there's no evidence as yet that WRU will want him. Is he too small for Union perhaps? There's certainly less space for him to show his pace.

Moving on to the halves, Dodd has to be given a chance next season. Anything else would be non-sensical after the investment the club has put into him. If he's not good enough after 12-18 months then reassess by all means. Lomax will do another 3 seasons so no need to panic yet.

Walmsley, I agree, not quite having the same impact this year. Maybe his knee isn't the same since that injury. He was holding it again in Friday. Roby, thanks for everything, but this has to be his last year you'd think unless he could be used like Wellens in his last year, i.e. coaching but there for an emergency. I would also like to see Eaves get a go. He's got a bit of size unlike Smith

Lees, I'm not convinced size wise but he's got time on his side. Thompson and Matautia, not spectacular but doing a job for us. I'd like to see Batchelor given a go out wide as this is where he made a name for himself at York. We desparately need a line breaking second rower. If he is it then great. Knowles - close the book - loose forward for the next decade.

I think Wingfield and Foster look handy from what I've seen. Wingfield certainly puts himself about and Foster looks to have a bit of class about him. Paasi just has to be used the right way and I disagree that he will automatically go back down under - players like him are everywhere in the NRL.

In a salary capped sport it's almost impossible to stay at no.1 for long. There's a basic cycle of a talented team coming together, having success, wanting more money and/or aging and then breaking up and starting again

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think in the short term we will replace Coote with hopefully Dufty and Naiqama with Welsby who has done enough to be given a season at least with no.3 on his back. That gives us a strong and reasonably aged young backline. Keeping Grace might be an issue but there's no evidence as yet that WRU will want him. Is he too small for Union perhaps? There's certainly less space for him to show his pace.

Moving on to the halves, Dodd has to be given a chance next season. Anything else would be non-sensical after the investment the club has put into him. If he's not good enough after 12-18 months then reassess by all means. Lomax will do another 3 seasons so no need to panic yet.

Walmsley, I agree, not quite having the same impact this year. Maybe his knee isn't the same since that injury. He was holding it again in Friday. Roby, thanks for everything, but this has to be his last year you'd think unless he could be used like Wellens in his last year, i.e. coaching but there for an emergency. I would also like to see Eaves get a go. He's got a bit of size unlike Smith.

Lees, I'm not convinced size wise but he's got time on his side. Thompson and Matautia, not spectacular but doing a job for us. I'd like to see Batchelor given a go out wide as this is where he made a name for himself at York. We desparately need a line breaking second rower. If he is it then great. Knowles - close the book - loose forward for the next decade.

I think Wingfield and Foster look handy from what I've seen. Wingfield certainly puts himself about and Foster looks to have a bit of class about him. Paasi just has to be used the right way and I disagree that he will automatically go back down under - players like him are everywhere in the NRL.

In a salary capped sport it's almost impossible to stay at no.1 for long. There's a basic cycle of a talented team coming together, having success, wanting more money and/or aging and then breaking up as a result
    I don’t share the Grace to Union for their World Cup fears. Wouldn’t he have already gone to prove himself if that was his ambition? His old RU club recommended him to Saints as a youngster. Perhaps they recognised, even then, that his physique would suit League more than Union.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I don’t share the Grace to Union for their World Cup fears. Wouldn’t he have already gone to prove himself if that was his ambition? His old RU club recommended him to Saints as a youngster. Perhaps they recognised, even then, that his physique would suit League more than Union.
    Grace would get nowhere near the Welsh RU team. Players of his size have to be truly exceptional to play on the wing in today’s game otherwise they just get steamrollered or bombarded aerially. Plus you need a kicking game to play on the wing now internationally. Now he might have a burning desire to try his hand at professional rugby union, I don’t know. But I think only signing a deal until the end of 2022 is more to either bump up his pay packet quicker or give himself options if the NRL come calling.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I'm not sure you're right, if it was all about success where is the criticism of the clubs lack of success in the Challenge cup?

If anything it's those people who are defending Woolf that are only interested in success, his critics are talking about our style of play not trophies.

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Possibly because the Challenge Cup is not important as it used to be, but that's a whole different discussion.

Banned

I do think the CC will be crucial to all the British lads in our squad. I never thought it would be such a long wait and it isn't over yet.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I do think the CC will be crucial to all the British lads in our squad. I never thought it would be such a long wait and it isn't over yet.
    I think we need to put everything into winning that, which probably means sacrificing one or two league games and potentially a league title at the end of it. It's been far too long without the Cup for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Grace would get nowhere near the Welsh RU team. Players of his size have to be truly exceptional to play on the wing in today’s game otherwise they just get steamrollered or bombarded aerially. Plus you need a kicking game to play on the wing now internationally. Now he might have a burning desire to try his hand at professional rugby union, I don’t know. But I think only signing a deal until the end of 2022 is more to either bump up his pay packet quicker or give himself options if the NRL come calling.
    You are right nowhere near big enough nor powerful enough fo RU. Like you I think and hope the 1 year is to allow a bump up next year.

When you put it like that on the back of a defeat against one of your rivals, it seems bleak.

However, I think we should be positive and excited about what is next. A new team with new ideas. Sometimes you need that to reenergise the team. We are back to back champions and you need fresh faces.

I just think the end of this cycle has come at the wrong time as there is hardly anyone decent available. Looks like we will have cap space to burn in the next 1-3 years, which means we should be in a great position to pick up anyone available when you can start to talk to players.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I think we need to put everything into winning that, which probably means sacrificing one or two league games and potentially a league title at the end of it. It's been far too long without the Cup for us.
    i agree use the next couple of games to smooth out the cracks in our executions then concentrate on the Cup Final, the challenges further down the track we tackle when they approach.

The loss against Warrington I didn't really dwell on the negatives, as an antidote I,ve just wasted 2 hours of my life yesterday watching England v Scotland, after that borefest I,m back on it regarding watching Rugby League.

Learning All The Songs

Grace looks to have been bulking up without losing his pace and agility. Reckon he will be off to the NRL.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Wouldn't go that far - she hardly instils fear into people.
    I'm afraid of Virginia Woolf

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post

Walmsley, I agree, not quite having the same impact this year. Maybe his knee isn't the same since that injury. He was holding it again in Friday. Roby, thanks for everything, but this has to be his last year you'd think unless he could be used like Wellens in his last year, i.e. coaching but there for an emergency. I would also like to see Eaves get a go. He's got a bit of size unlike Smith

In a salary capped sport it's almost impossible to stay at no.1 for long. There's a basic cycle of a talented team coming together, having success, wanting more money and/or aging and then breaking up and starting again
    Most of what you say I agree with, but Smith is 5cm taller and 6kgs heavier than Eaves (according to Saints website). I'm not saying that will make him a better player, but he needs to be given a run of games. He is certainly fast with his pass from the PTB and he seems pretty nippy. Just needs to learn to get his head out of the way when tackling. Lees I thought started this season very well, he could do with another few kgs but we could have done with his line speed against Wanky. If the RFL ever do clean up the PTB so we have a faster game, then Lees is exactly the type of front rower we will need.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 20th June 2021 at 05:43. Reason: typo

Got A Season Ticket

Just run to the lighthouse, jumping over the waves on the way, where Mrs Dalloway will look after you (better than Orlando, you never know what date it is).

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    Just run to the lighthouse, jumping over the waves on the way, where Mrs Dalloway will look after you (better than Orlando, you never know what date it is).
    Godrevy lighthouse. One of my favourite sights in Cornwall. I didn’t know the literary significance when I was four.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I think other threads cover the style of play, the coach, the aging pack and the halves. I think most people with a bit of foresight can see that there are problems on the horizon, so I’d be interested to hear people’s opinions on where we are heading and what is likely to be the short term future of the club from the end of this season onwards. Where is it going wrong? What are we getting right and how do we maintain/get back to being the top dog in Super League?

I’m not going to go in-depth on the first bit, as it’s getting repeated every week, but I see no long term future in the coach. History will treat him kindly if fortuitously avoiding the big guns allows us to end 13 years of hurt and win the Challenge Cup. Add that to the 2020 Grand Final and he will be our most successful coach since Daniel Anderson. However, take out the style of football, he was given a golden cup and he will likely leave a poisoned chalice. I’d have backed Virginia Woolf to have won trophies with the team he took over, so far ahead of the rest where we at that point, so I’ll always suggest that any achievements may have been in spite of him and not because of him, but as I say, that’s been done to death. The reality is that coaches from Australia don’t hang around for long, so where do we look next when building the next great side?

It would be remiss to blame everything on the coach, though, and maybe he too will say he took over a poisoned chalice, because there is no doubt that some key forwards were already past their prime when he took the job.

All great/good teams reach the end of a cycle if the gradual replacement recruitment policy hits the buffers and my fear is that recruitment has well and truly done so. We have a series of key players now past their prime and I’d be interested to hear who learned followers of the youngsters think is going to come through the ranks.

So rather than look at the chances for this season, let’s look at what we have and how much rebuilding is going to be needed over the next couple of years.

Lachlan Coote – Sure to go home soon – Replacement needed.

Tommy Makinson – Aged 29. Probably got another two or three decent years at the top. Great player. No issue just yet.

Kevin Naiqama – Sure to go home soon – Replacement needed unless Welsby stays as a centre.

Mark Percival – Injury prone. You’d have to question his long term physical future – Question mark!

Regan Grace – I fear that Rugby Union is going to be his future with playing in their World Cup an ambition of his – Replacement probably needed.

Josh Simm – Not sure. Is he good enough? Our centres never get a pass to find out.

Jack Welsby – Inked in for a long future. No issues.

Jonny Lomax – Aged 30. He’s at that point that we’ve seen with all of our better halves over the years that they turn games less and less. He hasn’t scored a league try in two seasons, bar two nullified ones against Toronto – He’ll be around for a while, but we need to look at a replacement long term, assuming Welsby is not it.

Theo Fages – Looks set to leave – Replacement needed unless Lewis Dodd turns out to be the future.

Lewis Dodd – I’m hoping he’s a long term answer but this is yet to be proven.

Alex Walmsley – Aged 31. It looks like it’s caught up with him this season. He’ll certainly need replacing in the next 2-3 years.

James Roby – Legend. Perhaps greater than his predecessor even, but it’s caught up with him and it’s affecting our play. His inability to make metres from the play-the-ball now is killing our forward momentum because we’re too reliant on it – Replacement needed quickly.

Louie M-Scarbsrook – Looking his age. Past it. Need a replacement quickly.

Kyle Amor – See Louie.

Joel Thompson – Do me a favour. I’d sign his mum as a replacement.

Sione Mata’utia. He’s done ok for me, but he won’t be here for long. Replacement needed.

Morgan Knowles. No issues. Here for the long haul.

Matty Lees. No issues apart from injuries. Another in the for the long haul.

James Bentley – Gone. Replacement needed.

Iggy Paasi – Done ok in short bursts, but not sure he’ll be around for long.

Joe Batchelor – Not good enough. Replacement needed.

Aaron Smith – See Batchelor

Jake Wingfield – Looks promising. Could be in for the long haul.

Whereas the likes of Warrington can secure big hit signings, I don’t think this is something we’ve ever really been able to do since we started planning for the new stadium, which hasn’t brought us the riches that perhaps we thought it might. Therefore, future planning is going to have to come via the fabled youth system and through smart recruitment. The latter concerns me because we don’t seem to have done that very much in the last decade. Apart from a couple of full backs and forwards, our better players have come through the system; i.e. Makinson, Percival, Welsby, Grace, Lomax, Roby, Lees, Knowles etc, but we can’t rely on this wholly. We are going to need to stop picking off dreadfully average NRL has-beens in the forwards and we are going to need to be smarter with our cap money. I’d rather see us give a young up and coming reserve grade player from Australia a chance for a couple of years than a dump-truck like Thompson, coming over for a last pay day, whilst doing sod all to justify his salary.

So, if we look forward to, say, the beginning of 2024, there would appear to be a hell of a lot of rebuilding necessary and I think we are starting to see very real signs that we are coming to a transitional period very, very soon. I feel this Challenge Cup is huge as it may be our last chance of a major trophy for a while. Of course, it wouldn’t have been the first time I’ve been wrong, so if anybody can tell me that I am, well, I’d rather be wrong, quite frankly. :-)
    Interesting kid have backed Virginia Woolf to win trophies with this team. Did you have the same view that the coach didn’t matter when KC was replaced by Holbrook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    When you put it like that on the back of a defeat against one of your rivals, it seems bleak.

However, I think we should be positive and excited about what is next. A new team with new ideas. Sometimes you need that to reenergise the team. We are back to back champions and you need fresh faces.

I just think the end of this cycle has come at the wrong time as there is hardly anyone decent available. Looks like we will have cap space to burn in the next 1-3 years, which means we should be in a great position to pick up anyone available when you can start to talk to players.
    We are in trouble with our pivots 1 and 9. Roby is usually year on year in the top 3 for the hooking postion stats but currently is in the bottom 3, only made 20 scoots and 5 tackle busts don't think he is going to manage the 85 scoots and 28 tackle busts of last year which created a lot of open play. Similarly with Coote his stats are low compared to other full backs his try assists and clean breaks are well down on last season (pro rata)only made 1 clean break this year again ineffective to create open play.

These 2 pivots have been consistently been n the top end of the Man of Steel points last season now they are at the bottom end of the Man of Steel table. We are very much a one man show in Lomax no wonder he always looks knackered.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 20th June 2021 at 16:57.

Starting A Programme Collection

What's worrying is that despite Roby being wel down on his previous normal, Woolf persists with going with a scrum half at replacement hooker, one of the most specialised positions on the field. Dodd may turn out to be a world class scrum half but I will guarantee he will never be a hooker. As Stiddy says above, it just puts extra load on an already overloaded Lomax. Yes, I know it's to get game time for Dodd, but it's killing our creativity. The only way it makes any sense is if we are getting an experienced hooker to replace Roby ? Now there's a thought ? Parcell maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    What's worrying is that despite Roby being wel down on his previous normal, Woolf persists with going with a scrum half at replacement hooker, one of the most specialised positions on the field. Dodd may turn out to be a world class scrum half but I will guarantee he will never be a hooker. As Stiddy says above, it just puts extra load on an already overloaded Lomax. Yes, I know it's to get game time for Dodd, but it's killing our creativity. The only way it makes any sense is if we are getting an experienced hooker to replace Roby ? Now there's a thought ? Parcell maybe ?
    Parcell is a big upgrade on Smith and Eaves and seems to be more effective than Roby this season. I don’t know what’s going on with Fages and the reluctance to play him part of the game at 9 and letting Dodd play his natural position. I don’t see why we can’t play him at loose forward he is far too slow now at 9, he will still put in a great performance out of the hat but like Scully, Wello and Jammer once in decline then performance becomes less and less consistent.

I'd take Parcell, always rated him at Leeds and has done well for Hull KR.

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    I'd take Parcell, always rated him at Leeds and has done well for Hull KR.
    Yes. He's crafty but durable and can play minutes.

Still can't work out why Leeds got rid.

Banned

Not playing the big I am, but I get Wolfe with Dodds, he is trying to toughen him up in a way we didn't do with Richardson. In my opinion he wants him battle hardened for next season. I do think Aaron and Josh are not going to replace Robes and we will buy in.

Defence we are great, don't forget under KC we he got 50 on us by Hull and 38 by Huddersfield at home. Wire beat us by 4. If Jammer was on that pitch we may have taken the kick able options. I am not anti Wolfe by any means. The CC if if we win, I would then withdraw either Louie or Amor except for emergencies. Robes I never want that lad to be treated other than as a King but he will know when to go. He is a clever lad and could easily work with Rushie on the business side. The RFL should do that, but won't.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Not playing the big I am, but I get Wolfe with Dodds, he is trying to toughen him up in a way we didn't do with Richardson. In my opinion he wants him battle hardened for next season. I do think Aaron and Josh are not going to replace Robes and we will buy in.

Defence we are great, don't forget under KC we he got 50 on us by Hull and 38 by Huddersfield at home. Wire beat us by 4. If Jammer was on that pitch we may have taken the kick able options. I am not anti Wolfe by any means. The CC if if we win, I would then withdraw either Louie or Amor except for emergencies. Robes I never want that lad to be treated other than as a King but he will know when to go. He is a clever lad and could easily work with Rushie on the business side. The RFL should do that, but won't.
    I understand the defensive bit with Dodd but it's killing our go forward. He seems to be good defensively anyway so I think he could get the experience with 30 mins at half back & we would benefit at hooker from Smith or Eaves while Dodd got up to speed with being a half in the top flight.
    All opinions of course, only Wolf's matters though.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I think other threads cover the style of play, the coach, the aging pack and the halves. I think most people with a bit of foresight can see that there are problems on the horizon, so I’d be interested to hear people’s opinions on where we are heading and what is likely to be the short term future of the club from the end of this season onwards. Where is it going wrong? What are we getting right and how do we maintain/get back to being the top dog in Super League?

I’m not going to go in-depth on the first bit, as it’s getting repeated every week, but I see no long term future in the coach. History will treat him kindly if fortuitously avoiding the big guns allows us to end 13 years of hurt and win the Challenge Cup. Add that to the 2020 Grand Final and he will be our most successful coach since Daniel Anderson. However, take out the style of football, he was given a golden cup and he will likely leave a poisoned chalice. I’d have backed Virginia Woolf to have won trophies with the team he took over, so far ahead of the rest where we at that point, so I’ll always suggest that any achievements may have been in spite of him and not because of him, but as I say, that’s been done to death. The reality is that coaches from Australia don’t hang around for long, so where do we look next when building the next great side?

It would be remiss to blame everything on the coach, though, and maybe he too will say he took over a poisoned chalice, because there is no doubt that some key forwards were already past their prime when he took the job.

All great/good teams reach the end of a cycle if the gradual replacement recruitment policy hits the buffers and my fear is that recruitment has well and truly done so. We have a series of key players now past their prime and I’d be interested to hear who learned followers of the youngsters think is going to come through the ranks.

So rather than look at the chances for this season, let’s look at what we have and how much rebuilding is going to be needed over the next couple of years.

Lachlan Coote – Sure to go home soon – Replacement needed.

Tommy Makinson – Aged 29. Probably got another two or three decent years at the top. Great player. No issue just yet.

Kevin Naiqama – Sure to go home soon – Replacement needed unless Welsby stays as a centre.

Mark Percival – Injury prone. You’d have to question his long term physical future – Question mark!

Regan Grace – I fear that Rugby Union is going to be his future with playing in their World Cup an ambition of his – Replacement probably needed.

Josh Simm – Not sure. Is he good enough? Our centres never get a pass to find out.

Jack Welsby – Inked in for a long future. No issues.

Jonny Lomax – Aged 30. He’s at that point that we’ve seen with all of our better halves over the years that they turn games less and less. He hasn’t scored a league try in two seasons, bar two nullified ones against Toronto – He’ll be around for a while, but we need to look at a replacement long term, assuming Welsby is not it.

Theo Fages – Looks set to leave – Replacement needed unless Lewis Dodd turns out to be the future.

Lewis Dodd – I’m hoping he’s a long term answer but this is yet to be proven.

Alex Walmsley – Aged 31. It looks like it’s caught up with him this season. He’ll certainly need replacing in the next 2-3 years.

James Roby – Legend. Perhaps greater than his predecessor even, but it’s caught up with him and it’s affecting our play. His inability to make metres from the play-the-ball now is killing our forward momentum because we’re too reliant on it – Replacement needed quickly.

Louie M-Scarbsrook – Looking his age. Past it. Need a replacement quickly.

Kyle Amor – See Louie.

Joel Thompson – Do me a favour. I’d sign his mum as a replacement.

Sione Mata’utia. He’s done ok for me, but he won’t be here for long. Replacement needed.

Morgan Knowles. No issues. Here for the long haul.

Matty Lees. No issues apart from injuries. Another in the for the long haul.

James Bentley – Gone. Replacement needed.

Iggy Paasi – Done ok in short bursts, but not sure he’ll be around for long.

Joe Batchelor – Not good enough. Replacement needed.

Aaron Smith – See Batchelor

Jake Wingfield – Looks promising. Could be in for the long haul.

Whereas the likes of Warrington can secure big hit signings, I don’t think this is something we’ve ever really been able to do since we started planning for the new stadium, which hasn’t brought us the riches that perhaps we thought it might. Therefore, future planning is going to have to come via the fabled youth system and through smart recruitment. The latter concerns me because we don’t seem to have done that very much in the last decade. Apart from a couple of full backs and forwards, our better players have come through the system; i.e. Makinson, Percival, Welsby, Grace, Lomax, Roby, Lees, Knowles etc, but we can’t rely on this wholly. We are going to need to stop picking off dreadfully average NRL has-beens in the forwards and we are going to need to be smarter with our cap money. I’d rather see us give a young up and coming reserve grade player from Australia a chance for a couple of years than a dump-truck like Thompson, coming over for a last pay day, whilst doing sod all to justify his salary.

So, if we look forward to, say, the beginning of 2024, there would appear to be a hell of a lot of rebuilding necessary and I think we are starting to see very real signs that we are coming to a transitional period very, very soon. I feel this Challenge Cup is huge as it may be our last chance of a major trophy for a while. Of course, it wouldn’t have been the first time I’ve been wrong, so if anybody can tell me that I am, well, I’d rather be wrong, quite frankly. :-)
    Agree with virtually everything in your post. The only thing I would question is why can we not compete with Warrington on signings? If my understanding is correct, the salary cap is the same for all the SL clubs regardless of income and I've always assumed we spend our full cap?

Banned

i just think Wire are very creative. The GI clothing range possibly earns its model a load of dosh, yet his playing terms are maybe 80.99 a week. Bit like the GOONS when Uncle Mo and DW tried to blow us out of the water.