Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bentley Signs for Leeds

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

I am pretty disappointed Bentley is going, even more so after watching that dross last night.

Bentley is a young player who for me has a great future in the game and brings that raw aggression you need at times. His work rate is phenomenal, his tackle count is incredible, his energy remains for the full 80. He has that will to win, winning at all costs mentality.

I watch certain players who I won’t be naming but we can all guess who, who just simply go through the motions, no fight, no emotion just do there bit and go home and I’m sick of it.
    If we had a team of players with no ability and lots of evident fight and pride in the shirt I would be far less concerned.

We are St Helens and that home game in front of only home support against our second biggest rival was nothing short of pathetic. Call the coach, yes his tactics are woeful but where is the leadership? Who grabs that game by the scruff of the neck and says right let’s win this… not one.

Then at full time I watch around the pitch and see high fives and laughs and jokes between our players and Warrington’s. Certainly sporting, anyone recall James Graham, Leeds away around 10 years ago. I do.
    Call me old fashioned but not acceptable at all, you have just put in a •••• poor show at home and didn’t look like scoring if we played for another 3 hours.

We have masked a lot of our flaws over with success and could potentially continue to do so on 17th July.

Now back to where James Bentley fits in. I’m aware he requested a big contract, I’m aware the club was not prepared to move the goalposts on our salary pay scales. No problem, we cannot force a player to remain, likewise with Fages but I feel this one will leave a longer lasting bad taste and I think the playing staff has weakened with the loss.

You can take the dog out of the fight but you cannot take the fight out of the dog. We have no dogs just everyone’s favourite pets.

Good luck James Bentley.

Banned

Not overly fussed about Bentley going. I would be gutted if it was Knowles. What has got us all worked up is our two second row signings have not been what we expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    I don't see what he has done wrong.

Worked hard , served his time with Sheffield.

Done well in the first team.
    Not shown much in attack but watching his Bradford stuff he has that in him.

Asked for a wedge above the norm . Leeds happy to give it to him. The end.

The interesting thing for me is that if he goes to Leeds and suddenly shows something in attack to add to the
    defence then that says more about Saints.

Still might not make him worth the money he has secured but shows how Saints value robotics over football.
    Interesting comments about how much he was offered. Bently's agent Craig Harrison on the Full 80 last night (its on Youtube if you want to listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F0XyiYJpNw&t=5331s) said that an NRL club came in for him but he wasn't interested and 4 Super League clubs made offers - all with similar offers (about £5k difference between them all). Then in a general discussion Bently asked Harrison to see if Leeds were interested as that was the only club he would leave Saints for, the rest as they say is history.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
    Interesting comments about how much he was offered. Bently's agent Craig Harrison on the Full 80 last night (its on Youtube if you want to listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F0XyiYJpNw&t=5331s) said that an NRL club came in for him but he wasn't interested and 4 Super League clubs made offers - all with similar offers (about £5k difference between them all). Then in a general discussion Bently asked Harrison to see if Leeds were interested as that was the only club he would leave Saints for, the rest as they say is history.

I watched that last night and found it very strange 5k would turn his head. But Craig Harrison is a big Leeds fan and sends all his players that way (Gale, Bentley, Alex Mellor) Trueman will be next?

Bentley should not be played again this season pick someone else and move on!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    I watched that last night and found it very strange 5k would turn his head. But Craig Harrison is a big Leeds fan and sends all his players that way (Gale, Bentley, Alex Mellor) Trueman will be next?
    We can't know that the agent is telling the absolute truth about the money or version of events. Take his comments with a pinch of salt.

Depends what works best for Saints. If he's fit and it improves the team or helps with squad rotation, then I've no problem playing him.

I'm disappointed that we'll be looking after all his medical needs and will have lost his services for most of the season, then he turns tail and leaves us.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

I'm disappointed that we'll be looking after all his medical needs and will have lost his services for most of the season, then he turns tail and leaves us.
    That's my biggest problem with it.
    He's being paid and well looked after I presume but it's all seemingly for the benefit of his next club. I know the injury is unfortunate and not his fault but had he given us a last full season he would have gone with my best wishes.
    He could out of loyalty have asked for a 1-year contract as a thank you and to weigh up his options.
    Then again it's easy for me to say that having never been in his position.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

I don’t think it’s to do with Bentley’s agent being a Leeds fan, Bentley himself is a Leeds fan. He uploaded pictures on his insta of his younger days in Leeds kits, with Leeds players. At first I was also in resentment of him but you can’t blame him for going to the club he’s supported all of his life.

We can't know that the agent is telling the absolute truth about the money or version of events. Take his comments with a pinch of salt.

Depends what works best for Saints. If he's fit and it improves the team or helps with squad rotation, then I've no problem playing him.

I think the last bit on medical needs is harsh.
    He has done nothing wrong. He's just gone a different path.
    He's honoured his contract(s) and gone about things quietly.

He (and his agent) didn't run their mouth off in the press during negotiations.

His agent will put out a version that makes everyone look good. He will need to do business with Saints again.
    That's his job. A few of the edges will have been smoothed off the story but overall it sound about right.

I hope Bentley makes a full recovery , plays some part towards the end of the season ,
    and does well at Leeds (except when playing against.Saints).

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

...I'm disappointed that we'll be looking after all his medical needs and will have lost his services for most of the season, then he turns tail and leaves us.
    It's not really that different to any other job.
    Train someone up, they go away on paid sick leave for some reason, then leave to work elsewhere.

I believe he's also Dodds agent. Craig (show me the money) Harrison always has good things to say about Saints and Mike Rush in particular

In The South Stand

I'm assuming he is traveling from yorkshire to training each day ? If so then on top of the 5k is a saving on about 18k miles worth of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    It's not really that different to any other job.
    Train someone up, they go away on paid sick leave for some reason, then leave to work elsewhere.
    It’s also worth adding that he became “sick” because of doing his job, hence why the club has an obligation to make every effort in his recovery irrespective of who employs him thereafter.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Disagree with the last sentence. Play him every week and get whatever we can out of him. Like everyone else, he has to work to get paid so he should do that and it doesn't matter if he gets burnt out for next year as that'd be Leeds' problem.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    I think the last bit on medical needs is harsh.
    He has done nothing wrong. He's just gone a different path.
    He's honoured his contract(s) and gone about things quietly.

He (and his agent) didn't run their mouth off in the press during negotiations.

His agent will put out a version that makes everyone look good. He will need to do business with Saints again.
    That's his job. A few of the edges will have been smoothed off the story but overall it sound about right.

I hope Bentley makes a full recovery , plays some part towards the end of the season ,
    and does well at Leeds (except when playing against.Saints).

I'm not slagging him off; I'm just, as I said, disappointed.

I personally would feel a pinch of loyalty to an employer that had supported me through injury/illness. I still believe a one-year contract would have suited Bentley better, and of course Saints.

I'm not slagging him off; I'm just, as I said, disappointed.

I personally would feel a pinch of loyalty to an employer that had supported me through injury/illness. I still believe a one-year contract would have suited Bentley better, and of course Saints.
    Understand. That would have been the noble thing to do.

I wonder if Saints tabled a holding "let's go round one more time" 12 month option.

If so that would have been an equitable solution.
    He might have left in 2022 but not on the back of a big injury on Saints' shilling as it where.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

I Disagree. You don't cut your nose off to spite your face, as I said when the rumour about Fages going to Huddersfield was said to be done.

Bentley and Fages are in the best 17 players Saints have at the club, so when fit they should be in the side more often than not. Saints are still in the hunt for 3 trophies this year. This said, the other options in the squad should be given some game time to stake their claim for starting spots for 2022.
    Last edited by Mike Stephenson; 22nd June 2021 at 23:36.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I Disagree. You don't cut your nose off to spite your face, as I said when the rumour about Fages going to Huddersfield was said to be done.

Bentley and Fages are in the best 17 players Saints have at the club, so when fit they should be in the side more often than not. Saints are still in the hunt for 3 trophies this year. This said, the other options in the squad should be given some game time to stake their claim for starting spots for 2022.
    I feel you are correct here. It is imperative that we give Dodd & whoever is deemed Bentley's replacement if he's in house some extended game time. We will have a congested fixture list so really have no excuse at all to not use that as an opportunity. If Welsby is seen as Coote's replacement, he must be given time there, or maybe at 6 if moving Lomax back to full back is a possibility. With so many changes for next season expected, it would surely be short sighted to ignore the opportunity this season. At least we wil then have a better idea if recruitment is required for next season.

Echoing others, I’m disappointed Bentley is leaving as I really enjoy having that “mongrel” in the team who just upsets players and knocks them off their game. Loved watching Jason Hooper back in the day. However, speaking to somebody at the weekend who is involved in a small way in player dealings at the club, the salary he has been believed to have been offered is just in his words “ridiculous” for a player of his experience. So good luck to the lad. He saw out his contract, got a lot more money elsewhere and decided to go.

We're in an unusual position this year as we have loads of players likely to be leaving but pretty much each one of them has a potentially realistic replacement from the academy ranks (Naiqama = Simm; Fages = Dodd; Coote = Welsby; Bentley/Thompson = Wingfield/Foster/Davies).

Replacing all of those players from within would likely be disastrous, though - some of those youngsters may take the step up in their stride while others may not, and collectively it would mean the side being robbed of a huge amount of experience. The trouble is there's no way of knowing in advance which youngsters will make the grade and which won't.

The good thing is that it gives us the opportunity to be flexible in the market. Rather than definitely having to find replacements at full back, scrum half, centre and second row, we can just monitor the market and go all out for the best two or three players that become available, whichever of those positions they play in.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    We're in an unusual position this year as we have loads of players likely to be leaving but pretty much each one of them has a potentially realistic replacement from the academy ranks (Naiqama = Simm; Fages = Dodd; Coote = Welsby; Bentley/Thompson = Wingfield/Foster/Davies).

Replacing all of those players from within would likely be disastrous, though - some of those youngsters may take the step up in their stride while others may not, and collectively it would mean the side being robbed of a huge amount of experience. The trouble is there's no way of knowing in advance which youngsters will make the grade and which won't.

The good thing is that it gives us the opportunity to be flexible in the market. Rather than definitely having to find replacements at full back, scrum half, centre and second row, we can just monitor the market and go all out for the best two or three players that become available, whichever of those positions they play in.
    Dodd is the big worry for me, especially if Coote leaves. Dodd has shown nothing at all at hooker and hasn't been given a minute in the halves that I've seen. He could easily be another Gaskell for us and leave us waiting 12 months to replace him. He really needs to be given a chance this season before we commit to a season with him at 7, with no backup.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Dodd is the big worry for me, especially if Coote leaves. Dodd has shown nothing at all at hooker and hasn't been given a minute in the halves that I've seen. He could easily be another Gaskell for us and leave us waiting 12 months to replace him. He really needs to be given a chance this season before we commit to a season with him at 7, with no backup.
    I have no doubt when we start playing very shortly 2 games a week Dodd will feature at Scrum Half, Gaskell was very much thrown in the deep end where Dodd has been drip fed into the first team set up. Also Dodd will have an experienced half alongside him be it Fages or Lomax, Gaskell didn't have that luxury it was sink or swim with a rookie Lomax alongside him.

He will be targeted there is no doubt about that but he does seem to have that temperament similar to Welsby.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post

Thats our biggest set back when things get tough.........Experience.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Thats our biggest set back when things get tough.........Experience.
    Which is why we can't rely on all of these kids at once. We need to be bringing in at least two top players who have been there and done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Dodd played a full game at half back against Salford last October. What on earth were you doing not watching?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    Echoing others, I’m disappointed Bentley is leaving as I really enjoy having that “mongrel” in the team who just upsets players and knocks them off their game. Loved watching Jason Hooper back in the day. However, speaking to somebody at the weekend who is involved in a small way in player dealings at the club, the salary he has been believed to have been offered is just in his words “ridiculous” for a player of his experience. So good luck to the lad. He saw out his contract, got a lot more money elsewhere and decided to go.
    Regarding Bentley's salary offer from Leeds, I was told the same, a quite extraordinary value that we could or would get even close to matching. The talk from his agent was rubbish from what I was told. We weren't even close on the valuation.
    As said, good luck to the lad.